Got an idea for the compo, a samplepack, VST, or theme? Post it here!

Christmas!!!

Postby Directionless » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 am

Sonicade wrote:I was also thinking along those lines Aged. We haven't done a no-sounds-barred round before and it would free everyone up to make anything they wanted.

What do you guys & gals think?

Yes. So long as any VSTs used are freely available ones. Sounds good.

I can't remember but can a person do a collaboration entry and a personal one in the same round?
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby aged » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:10 am

I'd say : render your vsti's. samples only!

( But if free of choice even with vsti's, then it should be mp3 only round. which isn't bad idea at all... :))

set up a poll sonicade! :D we still got couple of days!
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby aged » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:14 am

Directionless wrote:I can't remember but can a person do a collaboration entry and a personal one in the same round?

Yes you can..
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:33 am

aged wrote:
Directionless wrote:I can't remember but can a person do a collaboration entry and a personal one in the same round?

Yes you can..

Yes you can. :)

Let's go samples only, no one will install a VST for just 1 entry. ;)
(which means you can still use VSTs but you just need to render everything to samples before submitting.)

Also I this means any of the previous samplepacks are fair game. I've always had the idea to have a round where you can use any sample from any previous round, I guess this will be it (and more)! :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby paulnewns » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:02 am

This all sounds cool. Could someone do a christmas esque samplepack just for assistance (you know, jingles, bells, twinkly bits etc, maybe the odd "ho,ho,ho....") :D
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:00 am

mine is going to be christmasey, but not in a traditional sense.. thanks to paul's suggestion about making a dark xmas tune :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:53 am

so my gf and i were listening to

last night while decorating the xmas tree ... you know, because she's the authority on playing sappy xmas music all throughout the month of december..

and a song started playing... at first i was like "i recognize that song !!! why does that sound so familiar! but it's not an xmas song" ....

so a couple bars in i recognized it to be the Jewel song "Hands" which came out a good 10 years ago, and certainly wasn't an xmas song when it was released.
this version was virtually identical to the original, with the subtle (or not so subtle) addition of bells ....

it's a nice little song, but what the fuck?

that's just blatant commercial whore-ism right there .... any artist could take any of their previous songs and convert it into an xmas song???

i think i'll do an xmas version of "bitches ain't shit" ... no, no ... because i have some other xmas song plans ... but

i'm disappointed in you , jewel. you already sold out when you started dressing like a ho and making bubblegum poop, but this is really over the top :(
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:31 pm

we can conclude that the trend so far has been that themed rounds don't draw as many entrants --

Round 5 (adventure theme) = 5 entries
Round 11 (beatles remix) = 6 entries
Round 22 (christmas theme) = 7 entries

Round 5 was the lowest turnout ever, and 22 is tied with round 7 for 3rd lowest

i always like the idea of a theme but it must turn people off for some reason
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm

dj io wrote:we can conclude that the trend so far has been that themed rounds don't draw as many entrants --

good observations sir.

Although I'm bummed, I guess September won't be 'Patriots Day' theme. LOL :twisted:
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:07 am

dj io wrote:we can conclude that the trend so far has been that themed rounds don't draw as many entrants --

Interesting stats Dj io!

I estimated the busy holidays as the reason for the low turnout in round 22 but maybe the theme had an impact on it as well. We'll have to consider that when running rounds with a theme in the future. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby paulnewns » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:36 pm

Interesting point about the number of entrants dj. Which ones had the highest number and what was the theme or samplepack/vst's?
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:42 pm

i think it was rounds 12, 13, and 14, each broke the record at the time.. 14 was the largest round with 23 entrants. no theme, and just a regular samplepack, no vsti i don't think

round 15 was pretty large too, and after that things have steadily declined, with the exception of round 21 which filled out pretty well.

there's still a strong userbase though, hopefully this thing will stay around for a while. it's surpassed all of my expectations for a compo so i'm pleased with it :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:37 pm

dj io wrote:there's still a strong userbase though, hopefully this thing will stay around for a while. it's surpassed all of my expectations for a compo so i'm pleased with it :)

It will stay around for as long as facilitators like Sonicade are willing and able to host the events. Even now, new people are being drawn in. I even recruited a Renoise user who should be in Round 23. :)

Things go in cycles as new generations renew retired legacies. And while not the demoscene, the inspiration and software theory is attributed. Fringe scenes such as this are a part of that vein.

In the distant future (if humanity survives :P), I believe there will be a family tree similar to the Rock and Roll trees. With the demoscene and early game console sequencing as it's roots.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:24 am

those are cool, although when i click on the link, the images are truncated. i can't see the top .... hmm.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm

It's Christmas time once again at SDCompo!

Round 34 Christmas / Winter Round!

Yes, Renoise 2.0 entries are allowed!
(Renoise 2.0 RC1 is likely to be released before the end of Round 34)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Compo Ideas & Themes