Got an idea for the compo, a samplepack, VST, or theme? Post it here!

doo wop round. good idea?

hell yes!
20%
noooo
20%
what the fcuk?
60%

Total votes : 5

Doo-wop

Doo-wop

Postby organic io » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:32 am

Lately, i've been wondering what doo-wop would sound like with electronic instruments

:D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:57 pm

haha what the fcuk?! :) funny poll :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:12 am

doesn't seem to be too popular. i think i'll just do a doo-wop medley sometime
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 pm

organic io wrote:doesn't seem to be too popular. i think i'll just do a doo-wop medley sometime

I at least know what that is, unlike a fair amount of our non-US personnel. So i voted nooooo because it would be the lowest turn-out ever. ;)

also i hate that music heheh. but didn't they use that style in some Little Shop of Horrors songs? I like that soundtrack.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Directionless wrote:also i hate that music heheh. but didn't they use that style in some Little Shop of Horrors songs? I like that soundtrack.

i'm not sure, been a long time since i saw that

what i've noticed is that a large portion of doo-wop songs have the same chord progression. but at least it's a really good chord progression. what i was thinking is doing a medley of the theme from "happy days", the song "we go together" from grease, and then the muppet babies themesong. none of which are authentic doo-wop. still would be fun though
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:00 pm

also, the bassline from Shania Twain's song "whatever you do... don't" really reminds me of doo-wop. amazing song, everybody should go check it out
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm

I know that song, one of my favorites from Mrs Twain (Lange). :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Sonicade wrote:I know that song, one of my favorites from Mrs Twain (Lange). :)

Rob likes Shania as well, it's really funny to see how many sceners also like some country music :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:39 pm

I've been exposed to a lot of top 30 popular Country lately so I'm enjoying some of them. George Strait, Raskal Flatts, Bucky Covington. I like any good music and since it's what's currently popular in Country music, there are some good songs here and there.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 am

Sonicade wrote:there are some good songs here and there.

there really are. i've never been a fan of the twang-ey honkey tonk stuff but i've always liked the harmonic female stuff. Shedaisy is another of my favourites. great 3 part harmony. Dixie Chicks (of course), Mary Chapin Carpenter, Martina Mcbride has some really good old stuff like "safe in the arms of love" and "independence day" which are classics. Sara Evans (suds in the bucket is the coolest song!!)... and I think everyone likes Allison Krauss! have you heard Nickel Creek? they're a bluegrass/country crossover group that I think Krauss produces. they're really good too

also i don't know if you've heard Shania's "up!" cd, but the "world" release has several discs, each with the same songs, but produced differently. the "world" cd is really cool with like indian percussion. even though it's really cheesy, it's really good

you sound like you're like me though... it doesn't matter what the backing instrumentation is, if it's a well written song, you'll listen to it :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:44 pm

so.. nobody wants to talk about country music on some demoscene forums? :? shame!!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm familiar with that Shania Twain album and the different disc types. Forever and Always is a nice tune.

I really dig Nicklecreek too. When you come back down is a great song.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Compo Ideas & Themes