Got an idea for the compo, a samplepack, VST, or theme? Post it here!

Taiyal's idea is

Neat
75%
Not Neat
25%

Total votes : 4

Orch Hit Sample Pack?

Orch Hit Sample Pack?

Postby Taiyal » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:41 pm

It would be really neat to see what people could do with a sample pack consisting of only 1 sample. I once made a song out of just an orchestra hit sample, and it turned out somewhat OK... I wonder what the more skilled tracker musicians at SDCompo could do with the same set of tools (or rather, set of one tool).

I would propose a well-known and easily accessible orchestra hit such as the one in GM.DLS (actually that's the one I used), and I _think_ the GM.DLS samples are legally libre for use by the public. If they aren't, I'm sure there are free orchestra hits floating about on the Internet.

I would love to hear any feedback on this idea.
--Taiyal
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:02 am

And no chipping allowed. I'm in :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 pm

A one-sample is okay, though orchestra hit seems a bit... awkward of a choice.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm

I think it is a great idea, though it can alienate people to participate.
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:43 pm

How about a compo where you can pick your sample but only one? That way no one is restricted to a orch hit or clarinet or whatever.

Paulnewns brings up a good point which often goes overlooked when considering theme ideas. When such strong restrictions are placed, the conceiver thinks its a fabulous idea but often a lot of other people become disinterested. For example we had a Beatles round where your entry had to be any Beatles song. Seems easy enough, The Beatles made amazing music and have a huge catalog. We ended up receiving 6 entries. Similar results from an Eastern styled samplepack.

Still it's good to try new ideas from time to time. We just want to make them as appealing as possible.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 am

Yep, only 5 entries in round 5, "the adventure theme" round... Themes just seem to turn people away. I think 1 sample would definitely be off-putting to a lot of people. Especially with no chipping allowed *evill laugh* :twisted: :twisted:

I still wish I had finished my version of "Let it be" for the Beatles round... oh welll
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Taiyal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Hmm... "No Chipping"
*sets ticks per row to maximum value*
*puts a Q in every effect parameter*
^_^

I see how such a theme might cause problems... Perhaps I'll use only 1 sample out of Round 31 samplepack...

And does anyone know if the GM.DLS samples are libre?

--Taiyal
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Return to Compo Ideas & Themes