Got an idea for the compo, a samplepack, VST, or theme? Post it here!

A new Rule?

A new Rule?

Postby MickRip » Tue May 16, 2006 8:00 pm

What do people think of the idea of being able to include one sample(instrument) of your choice in your song? Maybe a pecussion loop, maybe a vocal line?

It was a rule in the groovycompo, and TT, etc. You could include one sample/instrument of your choice to the existing samplepack.

I like the idea from an artistic point of view, and it will do nothing but improve the quality and variation of the entries - but I do believe we need to discuss it a bit and arrive at some sort of vague concensus. :P

This rule in groovycompo couldn't be really exploited because you were battling to get your tune under 150k even without ammending anything. However, with this compo, the 4mb limit will never be an issue for a lot of people, so it leaves plenty of room for an additional sample.

I know I would use it to add guitar strumming, or a drum loop. Or something to improve the feel and originality of the track.[/code]
MickRip
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Wed May 17, 2006 1:08 am

This is a interesting twist and I've given it some thought myself. Perhaps we can introduce it in one of the coming rounds.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby dilvie » Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 am

I love the idea. I would have used it to include a vocal in my current entry.
dilvie
Regular
Regular

Postby RobWilliamsJnr » Mon May 29, 2006 10:24 pm

you thinking always open? or restrictive? eg: this week you can include a vocal sample, next time you can include a 'noise' sample???

should probably restrict the duration so i don't just sample myself playing the piano for 3 minutes... :lol:
RobWilliamsJnr
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby groovyone » Tue May 30, 2006 12:09 am

I dunno, I'm kinda divided by the idea. Working with what you have is one of the things I enjoy most about the compo.

Perhaps if it was a once in a while thing it would be a fun change. You'd definitely need restrictions like samples can't be more than 1 second long or something to stop someone from creating a whole bunch of sounds in one sample and just using sample offset to trigger them.
groovyone
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Tue May 30, 2006 1:11 am

groovyone wrote:I dunno, I'm kinda divided by the idea. Working with what you have is one of the things I enjoy most about the compo.

Perhaps if it was a once in a while thing it would be a fun change. You'd definitely need restrictions like samples can't be more than 1 second long or something to stop someone from creating a whole bunch of sounds in one sample and just using sample offset to trigger them.

Agreed with Groovyone on this. Working with a predetermined samplepack is an integral part of SDCompo. However, I don't mind mixing it up once in awhile with a rule like allowing an additional sample. Samplepack creators are free to request themes or rules to be applied to their packs and anything reasonable is considered. (eg: Groovyone is doing an adventure theme?)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby sagosen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:55 am

If I were to use vocals the filesize would be quite big, I can promise you that. Vocals are tricky for that reason, is it just "one sample" when my gf sings verse, chorous, bridge in one go, or many samples in one?

One argument for vocals could be that it's from one single source, but then again the TB303 is also one source. If you catch my drift. ;)

How about differing between using "one extra sample" and adding a vocal track, making two themes of them? I mean, if somebody can't sing they probably can speak. Or rap. Who knows.
sagosen
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:03 am

does that mean we're going to be hearing some norwegian rap from you soon? which is not to say you can't sing, i haven't heard you sing, but it would be really sweet to hear some norwegian rap :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Compo Ideas & Themes