Got an idea for the compo, a samplepack, VST, or theme? Post it here!

Cover/remix existing songs

Cover/remix existing songs

Postby agargara » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 pm

The remix round gave me an idea for another theme: cover or remix an existing song.

We could either have it be any song allowed, or we could limit it to something like just classical music or pop music. We could also include a sample/VST pack, or just say anything goes.

I think it would be cool to get covers of songs by Mozart or Beethoven, or even something crazy like a Breakcore Enya Remix. What do you think?

(In any case, it would probably be best to hold off on another cover/remix round for a bit since we just had one.)
agargara
Newb
Newb

Postby shadowbane » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:26 pm

I think classical would be cool
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:52 pm

I like this idea, however there are some complications!

We did once a Beatles round where you could remix any Beatles song. In addition to the minimal turnout, there was a question of the legality of doing remixes of copyrighted material. We would have to address that somehow if we were to put on an open remix round.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby agargara » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:07 pm

Sonicade wrote:I like this idea, however there are some complications!

We did once a Beatles round where you could remix any Beatles song. In addition to the minimal turnout, there was a question of the legality of doing remixes of copyrighted material. We would have to address that somehow if we were to put on an open remix round.

We could stick to just classical music then. It's all public domain stuff so there wouldn't be any legal issues.
agargara
Newb
Newb

Postby chunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Not to be a pain, but for the US, it'd have to be pre-1920's classical music. I think that's what was in mind anyway.

Stuff like Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue still has copyrights on it, as lot of ragtime and marches still did up until about five to ten years ago.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 pm

If this occurs, the best thing to do would probably provide people with a link to a page that lists acceptable works that are out of copyright.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 pm

Are we familiar enough with the subject to know what "Romantic era or earlier" or "composed before 1890" means?
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 pm

chunter wrote:Are we familiar enough with the subject to know what "Romantic era or earlier" or "composed before 1890" means?

I would still need to consult a list, and I seriously wouldn't want to assume that several hundred people who download the samplepack will understand what that means. I think what SDcompo has taught us is -- Every clarification in the rules is always a good thing, because it leaves less chances for people to misunderstand
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:01 pm

A list would be useful. Having a hard time seeing pre 1920s remixes as a theme that would draw a lot of entries though. :? :shock:
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby agargara » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:04 pm

@chunter: Yes, but I might like to do a Bartok cover. He's early 20th century, and most of his works are public domain in the US.

That said, I think that classical music from all eras should be allowed. Here's how I look at it:

From a legal standpoint, making a cover/remix of Rhapsody in Blue is probably illegal, though you might get off with Fair Use.

From a moral standpoint, I personally believe that derivative works should be free and legal, in the interest of promoting culture. I also believe that the courts in the US have extended the copyright expiration dates far too long, and that works as old as Rhapsody in Blue truly should be in the public domain by now.

From a practical standpoint, and perhaps most importantly, nobody's going to get sued here. SDCompo simply isn't big enough to draw legal attention, plus none of us make profit off of our compo entries. (As far as I know.) The Gershwin family isn't going to spend the time and energy to demand that we pay royalties for remixing Rhapsody in Blue. Lawyers don't start to appear until it's public and there's some sort of profit being made, such as with The Grey Album.

When I took basic film-making in college, someone asked my professor if they had to clear the rights to use songs in their films. He replied that we should use whatever we wanted to make our film good and not worry about copyright. The reason was that these films were too small for lawyers to care about -- suing us wouldn't be worth their time. He said he only went through the arduous process of clearing rights for big projects, the ones that would be screened at film festivals and draw public attention.

Sorry for drifting off-topic a bit. I guess my point is that I don't think we should prevent people from covering Rhapsody in Blue for fear of legal repercussions. But in the end it's up to Sonicade...
agargara
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 pm

agargara wrote:The reason was that these films were too small for lawyers to care about -- suing us wouldn't be worth their time. He said he only went through the arduous process of clearing rights for big projects, the ones that would be screened at film festivals and draw public attention.

That's basically the logic Sonicade used for the Beatles round.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:40 pm

The points you make are valid Agargara.

I would like SDCompo to be able to continue to grow and be on the up and up. The tracks we make do stay on our servers for a long time. We could probably stay under the radar but if we want to hold remixes of copyrighted material I would rather do it right or not do it at all.

OCRemix.org might be a good place to check out for how they handle copyrights. Almost every track they feature is copyrighted so they are definitely the authority on video game remixes and as far as I know are mostly not-for-profit.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby agargara » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:55 am

Interesting, it seems that OCRemix doesn't worry too much about copyright issues.

Yes, the original soundtracks and source tunes which OverClocked ReMixes are based on are copyrighted material. We are not out to infringe on the copyright owner's rights by making money off of their content. We are a fan site, and all material on OC ReMix is freely available and contains information on the source tune's game origin and composer (if available). The ads and merchandise on this site go only to pay for bandwidth, hosting, and other administrative costs. We are a not-for-profit web site established to honor the video game industry, not detract from it. We at OC ReMix encourage users to buy professionally released video game music soundtracks to support game music.

(From their FAQ)

ETA: It's interesting that they take the standpoint of "we're not making money off of it, so it's OK." I agree with this sentiment, since it's perfect common sense. Unfortunately, it still doesn't make it legal...
agargara
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 am

Interesting well they've done pretty well with that it looks like.

We should keep on the lookout for some one or some place familiar with song copyright law. There may be provisions for public performance or something that would clear free copyrighted music remixes.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 pm

The problem with US law is that while anyone has the right to re-record any song that has already been recorded once, the law requires a monetary royalty to be paid per mechanical copy distributed. It is one of many things that needs to be reformed.

A great explanation of how it is done in the US is here: http://cdbaby.net/dd?f=8

I'm no lawyer but I'd call a cover round here an "educational fair use," but since the RIAA decided that the letter of law is more important than the spirit of law, nobody trusts the doctrine of "fair use" though it is also part of the law.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Next

Return to Compo Ideas & Themes