Got an idea for the compo, a samplepack, VST, or theme? Post it here!

Should we have a theme of "uplifting"?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 10

SDC 38: "Uplifting theme" -- Yay or nay?

SDC 38: "Uplifting theme" -- Yay or nay?

Postby paulnewns » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks for voting my tune number two people.
It spurs me on to do more.
So..
Let's get started on some ideas.

Not that I want to get too restrictive.
It doesn't always lend well.
As soon as I come up with something i'll post
:)
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby knetter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 am

Yeah, perhaps its nice to have a tighter restrictions round after the free4all round - to keep the balance :P. But without getting political, I guess, its harder to strap people into a tight rule-set then letting them free :). We already had the draw-sample round earlier (who came up with that idea???), which was quite fun also regarding to the nr. of participants.
So, anybody ideas for a "theme" or against a theme (which is a theme as well - we can have the anti-theme-theme).
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:10 pm

OK, here's a theme idea... "Uplifting" ?? It's pretty broad so it could encompass a lot of different ideas for songs, allowing them to be happy without necessarily being cheesy. Of course they could be cheesy too if you wanted them to be. :D

What do you guys think?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Thats a real genre theme - although still very broad! Sounds like fun... Are we having votes on this one? Samplepack/VSTi's ?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Poll added.

Not sure about samplepack/vsti's. I haven't heard from Sonicade in a week or so but I was assuming he would put something together.

Edit: I emailed him to see what he thinks. Personally I don't see the need for us choosing your own vsti's for this round since the concencus right now seems to be "more restrictions = more creativity" :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 pm

I am going to say that it would be cool to have a minimalistic samplepack. Something like one or two general use samples of each set part, no more than 8 leads, 4 basses, and 6 pads. People would make good use of them and it would be fun. (BTW, I am planning on entering for the next round)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:01 pm

I'd like a pack please, although my reason for it is laziness; I kinda have a lot on my mental plate, to a point that "uplifting" isn't exactly what's on my mind... although it's probably something I need to maintain.

(I've mentioned it elsewhere, but in case the context isn't apparent, I just got back from visiting an uncle... possibly for the very last time. He had cancer in the pancreas which has spread through his whole body.)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 pm

shadowbane wrote:(BTW, I am planning on entering for the next round)

Glad to hear it. :D

chunter wrote:(I've mentioned it elsewhere, but in case the context isn't apparent, I just got back from visiting an uncle... possibly for the very last time. He had cancer in the pancreas which has spread through his whole body.)

Sorry to hear that man. Uplifting is definitely a good theme then. You could dedicate it to him.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby attwad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Well uplifting seems a pretty challenging theme to me as It's not really my cup of tea but I'm open to all suggestions so it's OK!
I agree also with a small sample pack, let's be creative with what we have!
attwad
Newb
Newb

Postby Elephark » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 am

I'm down with whatever.
Elephark
Newb
Newb

Postby aGIANTpupafish » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Sounds fun! And a samplepack would be nice please, even if it's just a re-hash of an old one =]

And Chunter, I'm so sorry. I think the only thing we can do is be happy we got to spend the time we did with people who are dear to us.

Edit: I just had a real gem of an idea whilst sitting at the piano. Let's do this theme please!
aGIANTpupafish
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Great to see discussion and input on this rounds theme. I like the consensus of a more restrictive round to balance last rounds theme.

How would everyone feel about a uplifting theme, minimalist samplepack + allowing vocals and any personal instrument sampling?

The personal instrument sampling being if you have a guitar or piano that you want to record you can include that in your tune. I mention this because Airmann asked about guitar.

Besides the rule quirks I'll try to get a minimal samplepack put together today.

Let's get round 38 started soon!

Cheers,
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby attwad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Ho yeah i just bought something to record guitar on my computer recently, I haven't tested it in a real song yet, it would be nice if I can use it in the "uplifting" theme!!

And how about a "non-stop bpm increase". --> the bpm of the song should increase (not necessarily linearly) until it reaches 2x (or more) the start value at the end of the song.
Quite difficult for the uplifting theme I think but maybe for a future theme?
attwad
Newb
Newb

Postby cralias » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 pm

I know my attempt to try a song with this theme is going to s*ck, since I've never tried that. But why not? Time for me to get out of my minor-filled easy stuff and make something "real" :roll:
cralias
Newb
Newb

Postby chunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 pm

cralias wrote:I know my attempt to try a song with this theme is going to s*ck, since I've never tried that. But why not? Time for me to get out of my minor-filled easy stuff and make something "real" :roll:

Some of the fun of deliberately confining yourself to an idea you have never tried before is that you may surprise yourself... though lowered expectations are okay too; I just use the unfamiliar territory as a chance to discover what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the thoughts about my uncle, everybody.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Next

Return to Compo Ideas & Themes