Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

Hardvare that you yse for making music.Keybords, synths, seq

Hardvare that you yse for making music.Keybords, synths, seq

Postby crosfire » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:15 pm

I am curious what hardware (beside pc) do you use to make music.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:37 pm

My little M-Audio Oxygen8 I use for chord hunting.

My new Sennheiser HD 595's Headphones!
Image Image

That's it for audio gear for me besides my PC. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:29 pm

yeah... my hardware list is similarly minimal...

for the midi controller, i use yamaha cs1x

and for the headphones, sennheiser hd-590

sonicade, do you like the 595's? i've had the 590's for about 6 years and i LOVE them but they're starting to show signs of wear and i need to start thinking about an eventual replacement

edit: shit that's a big picture. and i think there's actually a pair of them right next to yours in your picture! hehe
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby overthruster » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:52 pm

im not going to put up any pictures

for my noise setup i use a yamaha mg10/2 mixer, an ibanez sb7 bass synth/envelope filter, a boss md-2 mega distortion, a boss ps3 pitch shifter/delay, some contact mics i made out of piezo buzzers, usually record and flavor it a little bit with audiomulch, layer/edit in audacity, and then if i want to remix it again or add some final touches i do live loops and filtering in virtual dj (gets frickin LOUD)

for tracker stuff i just use renoise and my computer, and the gp2x+piggy, and i have some sennheiser hd 202 headphones(that someone left at my house after a party) and phillips sbc hp170 (they had the best frequency response of any of the headphones at target and were only like 30 bucks :P)

thats all the gear i ever use, besides stuff i tape the contact mics to
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:22 pm

overthruster wrote: headphones(that someone left at my house after a party

hahah nice

do you know who it was? and do they want them back?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Harmony » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:10 pm

My setup is, ah, minimalist to say the least :)

- Renoise
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Studio Headphones

I'm saving up for a CME-Pro UF8 midi keyboard.

---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:26 pm

having a music keyboard helps a lot because it allows you to experiment more with different chords... not exactly a natural proccess when you're using the typing keyboard
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby RobWilliamsJnr » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 am

in this country, i've got a minimalist set-up too.

my lappy is a 1.4GHz Pentium M - i have to render plenty of you guy's songs so that i can listen to them.

i've got a http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jv1010.shtml - this is where the sample packs i've made for the compo have come from.

controller wise, i've got a http://www.epinions.com/inst-Keyboards-P80_Electronic_Piano lite but fully weighted. use that for live gigs. i've also got a $100 buck 65 key controller. the P80 doesn't have any wheels, so the Kaysound comes in handy.

for sampling i record with my http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-30/index.html - but it's days are numbered. i used renoise for the vocal effects at a gig and the left ADC vaporised. the 3rd party usb driver i use with it kinda sucks - if you change the USB port or hub that it's on - you need to reinstall it each time.

midi activity happens through a http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=508 and it can also be fussy about which USB port it's in.

this USB port fussyness is a real drag when you wanna work on something not at home. stuff the UA30 into the laptop case (sans hub) and reinstall driver and pin numbers when you get there. when you're back home you have to reinstall the driver with hub. but - the sound is so clean that there's no conceivable way you'd use the noise enriched, top end dead, clipped output from the laptop headphone socket.

for detailed listening, just my Sony headphones. can't remember what model they are - but i like em. the don't produce any fatigue.

for powered (mono) listening, i've got my keyboard amp http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/SNAMM97/Roland/KC-100.html which has good range - but phase problems make stereo stuff sound a little dead. it sometimes gets to work as a fold back monitor for vocals.

my mic is a wonderful gem i bought for $2 at the dollorama. i rent if i need vocals. ;)

then i've got more gear sitting in my grandmother's garage in Australia... Korg M1, Alesis QS8, Roland JV880, Sure Mics, Behringer 24 channel mixer, big amps, midi file player, stands... and so many cables... ooooh yeah. sometimes i think i just like having cables for cables sake.
RobWilliamsJnr
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:14 am

RobWilliamsJnr wrote: just like having cables for cables sake.

i'll take a picture of my floor sometime. it's probably a fire hazard
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby overthruster » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:11 pm

dj io wrote:
overthruster wrote: headphones(that someone left at my house after a party

hahah nice

do you know who it was? and do they want them back?

uhm, no, i called everyone who was at the party and nobody knew whose they were or who left them, it was quite a mystery, they are nice enough headphones that i know someone would miss them...
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:21 pm

dj io wrote:having a music keyboard helps a lot because it allows you to experiment more with different chords... not exactly a natural proccess when you're using the typing keyboard

it goes also in the other way - on a typing keyboard you can play with one hand chords that on a normal midi keybourd would be imposibel (ofcourse the second hand could become handy then):P
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:03 pm

dj io wrote:yeah... my hardware list is similarly minimal...

for the midi controller, i use yamaha cs1x

and for the headphones, sennheiser hd-590

sonicade, do you like the 595's? i've had the 590's for about 6 years and i LOVE them but they're starting to show signs of wear and i need to start thinking about an eventual replacement

edit: shit that's a big picture. and i think there's actually a pair of them right next to yours in your picture! hehe

I'm loving my 595's! They were recommended to me by Groovyone. I believe he still uses the previous version and loves them, might even be the 590s. Also I've heard that they sound better with 'age' so you might not have need to upgrade (unless they are physically falling apart). ;) His older "worn in" 590s? sound great and noticeably warmer than my new 595s. I expect these will become warmer as I break them in. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm

the main problem is that the left side was having a slight vibration problem like the membrane was loose or something, but that was about 6 months ago and I seem to have fixed it after thumping the case repeatedly.... so hopefully it won't come back
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:29 pm

dj io wrote:the main problem is that the left side was having a slight vibration problem like the membrane was loose or something, but that was about 6 months ago and I seem to have fixed it after thumping the case repeatedly.... so hopefully it won't come back

Nothin a little thumping cant fix! 8)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aged » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 am

Little configuration changes on my desk :)

(Almost) Full hardware/software configuration at the moment ---

iMac 24"
emu xBoard61
yamaha audiogram6 audio interface (usb...)
samson c-control routed to yamaha stereo amp, a pair of Jamo C605's and AKG K701 headphones,
roland microcube guitar "amp",
some shitty hamer guitar :D
beyerdynamic dynamic vocal microphones (can't remember the model)
renoise, logic 8 plus various VST's and AU's

Wishlist (next purchases):

Mackie hr624mk2 monitors
Yamaha DTXPLORER e-drums

Now all I need is time! :D
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Next

Return to Production / Mastering