Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

chosing the right stuff

chosing the right stuff

Postby crosfire » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:16 pm

I want to save some money to buy some gear for music creation, and liveacts. The posibilities are:akai mpc, roland mc, electron machinedrum, korg electribe, nord micro modular, roland tr(or cr), or one of the tb-303 clones. Need an advice from a person that used one of thes (or had to make a similar choise). I want a stuff for making/plaing live breakcore (not necesairly breakcore, but when you can do breakcore on some gear, then you can do anything :)).
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby overthruster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:52 pm

i used to have an er-1, es-1, and one of the other ones... i think the es-1 (and the newer versions, esx1 whatev) could make some somewhat simple breakcore, and are relatively cheap on ebay etc (i hear es1 go for 100-150usd nowadays) but you can only hold 256 patterns and 64 "songs" and only 99 samples, when i tried to make actual progged out "songs" with them i quickly ran out of patterns... the effects are fun, but get old sounding REALLY quickly (if i hear the n00b electribe delay wanking ONE MORE TIME im going to put a gun in my mouth) but i mean, they are cheap, and really you can do a whole breakcore set with like four samples (disto 909, amen, some bass synths, a movie sample) also, electribes are REALLLY easy to program and mess with live, SERIOUSLY easy, ive been falling down drunk and tripping balls on mushrooms just pushing buttons and watching blinking lights at random being like "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON" and people said it was still somewhat cohesive, so i guess thats a testament to ease of use?

the newer esx-1 which is more flexible and powerful, and holds twice as many samples are getting cheaper, i bet you could find one on ebay that is reasonably priced///

but for really apeshit complex stuff i dont know if that would be the best bet for live gear
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:12 am

overthruster wrote:ive been falling down drunk and tripping balls on mushrooms just pushing buttons and watching blinking lights at random being like "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON" and people said it was still somewhat cohesive, so i guess thats a testament to ease of use?

I feel so depressed when I think that eating mushrooms wouldn't give me any fun, or scare, just that shitty, boring graynes :(. I could hang myself on a nearest tree (while in bravo ofcourse :P).

Much of the knowledge thet I have about those machines is from youtube, and producers sites.
overthruster wrote:if i hear the n00b electribe delay wanking ONE MORE TIME im going to put a gun in my mouth

I must say that most of things made on electribes sounds same (or it is just one person that uploads his stuff).

Machinedrum is ideal for me, it has 4 synths (1 is a sampler I gues), lot of fx, separate outs, and knobs for live knobing :D. It is also fucking expensive :(.

Akai mpcs are very popular, but I don't think that they are ysefull for faster music than 140bpm.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby hseiken » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:08 am

If you go oldskool, you maybe want to look into asr-x, the rack mount version of ensoniq's asr line of keyboards with sampling capabilities (and TONS of professional samples out there for dirt cheap if you don't want to make your own) or the ts series of keyboards, also from ensoniq. the sequencer is very powerful (and runs a bit like a tracker does...i.e. you have patterns that you arrange into a song, but the patterns can be up to something like 2024 keypresses each, length is of no concern) and the sample programming is very in depth. It's only draw back is lack of hardware simultaneous effects ( you gotta get creative with the sample editing and/or fake effects such as making your own delay with step recording or your own chorus with sample offsets)...plus, the LED screen may turn you off if you like nice shiny color graphics touchscreens on these new fangled shits nowdays.

Live performance I think would be easy because if i remember right, the sequencer let's you play one while editing another (via step only, though) and you can edit the song live too, i think...i never used it live, but i seem to remember at least being able to choose the next sequence while the old one was playing rather easily (and could even cut off the last one at will)...

I imagine these are cheap as well, since they're old and no one gives a shit about them...plus, they plays samples with a GREALLY grungy feel to them. It's just got a powerful feel to it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_ar ... qts12.html

That's the ts-12...it's what i used when i was learning to program my own sounds. Figured out timestretching on it (which, by the way, works really cool and you can do cool shit if you set the pieces to work with the modwheel...you can actually get a granular synth set up using it...i.e. use an amen, set the slices really small to the mod wheel then hold the keydown and move the wheel for extremely demented effects)

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/ensoniq_asr-x.cfm

Here's the asr-x...it's quite good, and actually allows sampling and 'render to sample' type option of renoise. The sequencer is beefed up from the ts-10/ts-12 i believe, too.
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby crosfire » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:24 am

The ts-10/12 are to big for me. I am not an keybordist. Ofcourse an one-octave keyboard would be always usefull for an additional controller. The asr-x looks good (it is really a rack-mount? it looks like a table top), but I saw mpc's for this price. I will look for thoise two on youtube.

Thanks for the feedback Overthruster, and Hseiken. I want to know more, so I will be a music-gear guru, so when I will get money to buy anything, I will be bored with it alredy :P.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:49 am

I wrote:
I must say that most of things made on electribes sounds same (or it is just one person that uploads his stuff).

I gues I was wrong ;)
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby overthruster » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:53 am

it might also be a good idea to just get a cheap and versatile sequencer and a cheap sampler... a decent setup that would be pretty flexible im sure could be had for just a couple hundred usd

if i was going to get some gear and wasnt happy with the lgpt/gp2x thing i would probably get a roland mc-500 sequencer and a boss dr sample or something cheap like that

i mean, here i found on ebay a dr sample for 50 usd
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-Dr-Sample-SP-202-LN_W0QQitemZ320101799797QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38070QQcmdZViewItem

and here is a roland mc-50 for like 40 usd
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-MC-50-Micro-Composer-MC50-MIDI-Sequencer_W0QQitemZ160104681438QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64382QQcmdZViewItem

i mean, both of those together could easily be used to make decent breakcore or idm or electro or whatever sound

my friend has a ton of those mc-xx roland sequencers, he just picks them up for cheap whenever he sees one for sale and he uses them to run his ms2000r and nord micro... i mean, 100 for the sampler and sequencer, and a micro mod is only like 250, you could use the mc-50 to sequence both of them, i know the sampler is really easy to use live, that might be a cheap and easy way to get into gear... im not sure how easy it would be to get these specific pieces of kit in europe, but im sure the equivalent could be found easily

but i mean all that together is cheaper than one of the newer electribe samplers, and akai shit tends to stay pretty expensive, and i mean, a sampling machinedrum is what like 2000 euros?
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby crosfire » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:29 am

overthruster wrote:i mean, here i found on ebay a dr sample for 50 usd
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-Dr-Sample-SP-2 ... dZViewItem

and here is a roland mc-50 for like 40 usd
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-MC-50-Micro- ... dZViewItem

I found both of them, when I was plaing with the vintage synth finder (ofcourse with the <500$ option).
Speaking of sequencer+synth/sampler, gp32/gp2x piggy should be mentioned as a midi tracker. I asked the guy that build the serial-to-midi converter, and it seems that lgpt supports
all midi messages, and is a fully working sequencer.
crosfire
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby overthruster » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:24 am

well i mean, ive been spamming piggy like crazy so i didnt want to piss all over the thread with piggy blah blah

but it is fucking incredbile for complex ass live stuff, and fast progging and sampling and effects blah blah

BUT its not the stablest thing ever, but it doesnt take SUPER long to reboot HAH

and i mean a gp2x is only 150 usd, so its among the cheapest solutions for live breakcoreing

yeha
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby hseiken » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Overthruster, where'd you buy your system? I'm a bit on the word-of-mouth tip when it comes to ordering import electronics. Of course, I've got a PSP and there was mention that donations would lead to a PSP version..how likely do you think THAT is? I'd rather limit my portable systems...though, I have to admit...having a portable version of Noiz2 would be sweet...
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby overthruster » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:05 am

well, atm im in japan, and i bought it when i was here, so i got it from play-asia
i think there are other places to get it in the states

i havent played noisz2a or whatever that one is called....
BUT the neo-geo emu on gp2x is fkin AWESOME and a rom of twinkle star sprites is easily gotten!!
overthruster
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:14 pm

noiz2sa is pretty weird. not really my idea of a fun shmup though. your "ship" is just a teeny little square and it's hard as crap to figure out whether you're being hit or not.

i much prefer some tg16 shooters :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Production / Mastering