Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

WHAT DO YOU MONITOR/MIX WITH? ANY SUGGESTIONS???:)

WHAT DO YOU MONITOR/MIX WITH? ANY SUGGESTIONS???:)

Postby paulnewns » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:38 am

Hi,
I need some decent speakers for my PC. Any suggestions??
Within a budget of not very much (as you would expect..)
Don't want to mix in headphones.
What does everyone else use?
:)
:D
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 pm

i got these a while back because they were on super duper sale @ musician's friend, $80 at the time.. the list price is much more

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... rc=3WDTWXX

i like em, but i don't know a whole lot about monitors so i'm sure you can do a lot better. i've heard good things about behringer
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:04 am

Get a y cable and a cord to extend the range of it and run your stuff through your home stereo. That is a lot better than most computer speakers.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby fbjon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:28 pm

shadowbane wrote:Get a y cable and a cord to extend the range of it and run your stuff through your home stereo. That is a lot better than most computer speakers.

That's not very accurate. Doing that, you run a high risk of your stuff sounding like crap on all other systems except your own. A good pair of heaphones in addition can fix some of that problem, though, and it's still a lot cheaper than a good pair of monitors.
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:41 pm

yep, stereo systems are usually balanced to sound "pleasing", whereas monitors are designed to sound flat.

when i do a song that i'm serious about, i listen to it on every set of speakers i can get my hands on and make adjustments accordingly
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby DDtMM » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:33 am

I've really struggled with mixing and mastering my music (though I think technically I don't really do mastering).

I think I've finally started to get a handle on it. When I'm done with my song I do my final mixing/mastering on my good Seinheizer headphones, my bad Sony headphones, my PC speakers, my Stereo, and my car radio.

If it sounds pretty good on all five then I'm happy.
DDtMM
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Mixing and Mastering are sciences but even knowing a little about them can dramatically improve the quality of your music. I'm just now learning about balancing frequency ranges and the dark art of compression. It's highly advisable to strive to improve your mixing and mastering as much as any other musical skill. :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: WHAT DO YOU MONITOR/MIX WITH? ANY SUGGESTIONS???:)

Postby Directionless » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:03 am

From what little I understand, you don't want to use stereo speakers. If you must not use headphones, get yourself some Alesis studio monitor speakers or something affordable like that. Just be sure you are driving them clean and not using an amp with a built-in DSP. That's the problem with stereos in general is they will not offer you a pure sound on what you're concocting.

I want to get a good pair of Sennheiser pro headphones for now. And someday in the near future, some decent studio monitors.

Right now I'm using some ghetto Panasonic RP-HT355 big headphones. Nothing fancy, and ignores deeper bass frequencies, as I hear my stuff on other headphones/systems.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:03 am

get some sennheiser hd-590's, i am in looveee with these. they are so comfy, i've had them for 7 years and they never make my ears/head tired, even when i wear them for 8 hours straight :) i think they were only about $150 , really really worth the investment

and if the cable breaks, you can just plug in a new one. pads get dirty? take em off and clean em :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aged » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 am

For mastering/mixing, i use pretty much a combination of akg heaphones
and my home theater system ;)...
(yamaha rx-v657 amp, pair of jamo e770 speakers)
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv657.html
http://www.bigshop.com.au/buy/JAMO-JAMO-E770-FLOORSTANDING-SPEAKER/Speakers/AUS-JAMO-E770

I've been lately writing songs thru the amp+speaker system and after that
edited the details with headphones. The sound I'm getting
thru Yamaha amp and Jamo speakers is quite natural, which was actually
one of my criteria when i changed the speakers last time.

After "finishing" a song, i load it to my ipod and listen to it few times
over while walking to work.. and for that i use crappy creative plugs (ep-630)

that's me. don't have room for a permanent 'studio setup'
so here's a view from our living room...
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby DDtMM » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 am

I'd pay some serious money for a mixing class. I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but I don't seem to be able to actually do it.

This is embarassing, but I've given up trying to EQ my tracks or use compression. Instead I've been using Low Pass and High Pass Filters with a good deal of reasonance to get things to sound right...

Pobably not the right way to be doing things.
DDtMM
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:11 pm

aged wrote: walking to work

man i wish i could do that :shock: i have to drive. i'd like to get a moped but there's not a good way to get to work other than the highway, where i'd likely get run over :(
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby auxie22 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:33 am

KRK RP5.6 or 8 love them.... pretty cheap and bloody nice...
auxie22
Newb
Newb

Return to Production / Mastering