Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

What MIDI controller are you using for RN?

Postby Sonicade » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Your welcome Organic I/O! Yeah unfortunately no MIDI on the Delta series, they are more for recording and monitoring audio. Maybe the USB latency isn't an issue for some people? For example if you want to preserve the live performance you could just shift the whole take over to compensate for the lag. I don't know since I don't do a whole lot of performance recording. My TMK-88 uses a USB interface though and it seems quick enough to respond to input.

Looks like M-Audio does offer a PCI solution for those who want that uber low latency MIDI.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192-main.html


Heres a nice looking midi controller on sale. (today only)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-61Key-USBMidi-Controller-with-Sounds-?sku=700677&src=3WPGWXX&ZYXSEM=0
User avatar
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:42 pm
Location: California, USA

Postby knetter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Sonicade wrote:Your welcome Organic I/O! Yeah unfortunately no MIDI on the Delta series, they are more for recording and monitoring audio. Maybe the USB latency isn't an issue for some people? For example if you want to preserve the live performance you could just shift the whole take over to compensate for the lag. I don't know since I don't do a whole lot of performance recording. My TMK-88 uses a USB interface though and it seems quick enough to respond to input.

Looks like M-Audio does offer a PCI solution for those who want that uber low latency MIDI.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192-main.html

Thanks! I've been looking for a 2nd hand Audiophile 2496, which contains MIDI. Canot find major differences in te specs ans it is cheaper.
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Postby chunter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm interested in how folks work around latency issues, but for me, trackers like Renoise are supposed to be step programmed because that is their strength. I'd wonder about latency for if I ever dare to play a VST from the aforementioned controllers in a live setting. (Not that I have any clue where that live setting is.)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: United States

Postby knetter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:55 pm

chunter wrote:I'm interested in how folks work around latency issues, but for me, trackers like Renoise are supposed to be step programmed because that is their strength. I'd wonder about latency for if I ever dare to play a VST from the aforementioned controllers in a live setting. (Not that I have any clue where that live setting is.)

Yeah you're right in the step thing; RN is more 'programming' than playing (like in Ableton Live). In Impulse Tracker, jamming or improvising is far more easier than in RN because you can program ahead. In RN you're bound to the current playing pattern and that is a major sucking thing (which I lready mentioned on the RN fora but I think the architecture is not designed to do so...), a pity :x
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 pm

For those worried about latency: Let me tell you this. I had SHITLOADS of it back with my onboard sound and maxisound music.

Now that I have the m-audio, I have NO latency. :D :D :D :D

Also Knetter, I was targetting the 24/96 at one point but Sonicade convinced me to get the delta because of the breakout box. and I don't regret it. :)
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Postby Sonicade » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:07 am

The Deltas are nice, especially if your doing recording or have monitors the breakout box is great. If you need midi it won't help though.

That's an interesting point about being able to track ahead in Impulse Tracker. Maybe this should be (or has been) brought up on the Renoise forums but I would be interested to know what their response is.
User avatar
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:42 pm
Location: California, USA

Postby knetter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Ooops! I accidentally bought the BCR2000 today :D and well ....it works out of the box, hence I was assuming that MIDI CC feedback was something standard in RN :( but I found out that it isn't.
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Oh damn, sorry to hear that dude... I read the description in that post and I see what kind of problem it will pose.

Hope you enjoy the controller nonetheless. Do the knobs turn automatically? That would be badass :)

P.S. Knetter, I only recently realized you were from the Netherlands. I have a curious fascination with it. :) You ever hear of Twarres? It's one of my favourite music groups
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Postby knetter » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:13 am

organic io wrote:Oh damn, sorry to hear that dude... I read the description in that post and I see what kind of problem it will pose.

Hope you enjoy the controller nonetheless. Do the knobs turn automatically? That would be badass :)

P.S. Knetter, I only recently realized you were from the Netherlands. I have a curious fascination with it. :) You ever hear of Twarres? It's one of my favourite music groups

Thanks :), mapping goes quite easilyy. When I put automation on a meta MIDI-CC device, you can see the knobs indicators turning, but that is the wrong way around; I don't want RN controlling the B-control, but the B-control controlling RN!, its all about control man :D...
PS Ahh the girl and boy from Friesland! Man they talk funny ;) How did you get to know them?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Postby organic io » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:16 pm

I used to just randomly download music videos from usenet. Still do sometime. Saw a live performance of them and loved it. Have been a huge fan ever since. Actually they split up a couple years ago and Mir has a solo album now, but supposedly they're getting back together sometime this year or next.

:D

I also like Within Temptation quite a lot. What is some other good dutch music?
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Postby knetter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:53 am

organic io wrote:I also like Within Temptation quite a lot. What is some other good dutch music?


Electronic:
Junkie XL, Tiesto and tons of DJ's like Eric-E, Joris Voorn, secret Cinema, etc.

Pop/Rock:
The Sheer, Racoon, Krezip, Do, Intwine, Anouk, Golden Earring! 8)
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Postby organic io » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:10 am

Have heard Anouk, Junkie, and Tiesto of course, but not the others. Will check them out soon! Thanks man :)
User avatar
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

Postby shadowbane » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 am

Never knew that Golden Earring was Dutch. *goes to listen to Golden Earring albums*
shadowbane
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Postby attwad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Just bought the korg nano Kontrol and Pad.
I'm quite far from home now so I have only my laptop and those.
I mainly use the pad for slow songs, or songs in which I put some natural instruments (guitar mainly) to put some "human" feeling into it.
The kontrol, I use it for vst, Massive's macros are always a pleasure to use ^^

No midi keyboard, as I have absolutely zero knowledge of how to play piano, for now my laptop keyboard or my chromatic version of the korg nano pad does the trick!
attwad
Newb
Newb
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 am

Postby chunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 pm

In other stuff, I've used nanopad to get a better feel on drums but here I'd rather just push in the numbers. In another project, I once set the pads to represent mute keys on the tracks... they're very flexible.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: United States
Previous

Return to Production / Mastering

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests