Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

What MIDI controller are you using for RN?

What MIDI controller are you using for RN?

Postby knetter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:13 am

Hi,

Just curious if anybody uses a MIDI controller for composing SDC songs. I'm planning to buy the BCR2000 from behringer
for controlling renoise MIDI stuff. Anybody experience with this one?

Imagine to map this thing with Olga... :shock:
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:05 am

Not to buzzkill too much, but I'd rather control something like audjoo than olga with that, because I don't think olga takes enough midi controls in the right way. By the way, we'll call my controller of choice a zxcvbnmqwertyuiop. My microphone for the last piece was a cheap chat headset.

That Behringer piece is designed after the old ARP analog sequencers, where each column of knobs is a step and each knob is a parameter, as adjusted over time in a sequence. For a time, Vincent Clarke (Depeche Mode/Erasure/Yazoo) used an ARP sequencer to do drums, though he kindof goes through phases: nowadays, he uses VSTs just like we do.

On second thought, you might be able to get renoise to make the columns reroute through time in the patterns... or can you? For controlling olga, I'd rather have a midi controller with a keyboard and the exact amount of knobs/sliders pictured on its config screen; it'd make one hell of a soloing instrument that way.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:58 am

Here's my baby ...

organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 am

chunter wrote:Not to buzzkill too much, but I'd rather control something like audjoo than olga with that,...

Also possible I think... Since it is not a very expensive wannahavethingy; I ike to experiment with it a bit. Definitely like the feedback leds.

organic io wrote:Here's my baby ...

Looks nice and compact. I always wonder how it feels to push notes in RN by a keyboard. Do you scroll-lock to the playing(/recording) pattern and just hit the keys?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:31 am

knetter wrote:Looks nice and compact.

:shock: LOL. It's not. 5 octaves w/ fullsize keys. Thing is about 3 feet long. Maybe you thought it was small because it's a small picture? And because I called it a "baby"? Hehe. It gets cumbersome sometimes, but I just set it on my lap during tracking. Actually I would like to get one of those 2 octave Oxygen keyboards, or a Prodikeys, just for banging out melodies during tracking without taking up a huge amount of space.

knetter wrote: I always wonder how it feels to push notes in RN by a keyboard. Do you scroll-lock to the playing(/recording) pattern and just hit the keys?

Depends on what I'm trying to do. I'm not an adept player or anything, so usually I just use it to figure out my chord progressions. For chords, hold shift on the typing keyboard and then hit my midi keys in sequence for my chords. Sometimes I use it to play melodies live, but with the nature of trackers (no quantize) and my not so perfect rhythm, I usually have to do some manual correcting afterwards.

Rob Williams Jnr however, plays everything live, even his percussion tracks, cuz he's just awesome like that. His fingers have "Robotiskill" technology (tm) so everything comes out perfectly in time. (Yes, I managed to combine Rob and robot. Awesome!)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:37 am

I use a Yamaha DGX-205 keyboard to input notes into Psycle. I don't have any type of true Midi controller though, all I can do is input notes and pitch bends. :) (technically I could map something to velocity or something else to pitch bend, but I am too lazy)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Don't worry, I hardly ever use my knobs. In fact, they've all fallen off and I've lost them all except one or two. Now I have some binder clips for knobs :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:24 am

Knetter: That control panel looks sweet! I think it would be fun to have that level of control but also I have not used automation to large extent yet. It's something I would like to do more of and it seems like one of those boards is the best way to get precise control.

This is the keyboard I use. It was generously givin to me by an old coworker named Rex.

Studiologic TMK-88
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:34 am

organic io wrote:
knetter wrote:Looks nice and compact.

:shock: LOL. It's not. 5 octaves w/ fullsize keys. Thing is about 3 feet long. Maybe you thought it was small because it's a small picture? And because I called it a "baby"? Hehe. It gets cumbersome sometimes, but I just set it on my lap during tracking. Actually I would like to get one of those 2 octave Oxygen keyboards, or a Prodikeys, just for banging out melodies during tracking without taking up a huge amount of space.

Yeah I was counting the octaves after I'd posted it already... :lol: I have a cheap-ass Yamaha somewhere, also huge, but I don't use it.

Sonicade wrote:Knetter: That control panel looks sweet! I think it would be fun to have that level of control but also I have not used automation to large extent yet. It's something I would like to do more of and it seems like one of those boards is the best way to get precise control

I think it will feel more natural to do automation and easier to record also. I'm only worried that the setup of the mappings for each song is a bit of pain, since DSPs/VSTi are modular in RN. We'll see... :D
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Sonicade, I'm looking to get a Yamaha product that is much like that someday, if only my credit card wasn't maxed out...

In the fall, perhaps?... :?
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:54 pm

And it figures, a nice korg controller is on the Fiend's Stupid Deal of the Day, and I can't jump on it...:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-61Key-USBMidi-Controller-with-Sounds-?sku=700677
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby knetter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:50 am

Rob Williams Jnr however, plays everything live, even his percussion tracks, cuz he's just awesome like that. His fingers have "Robotiskill" technology (tm) so everything comes out perfectly in time. (Yes, I managed to combine Rob and robot. Awesome!)

LOL :lol:. Must be quite hard to substract the latency from your finger movements!
Can somebody tell me why MIDI is tunneled over USB nowadays? USB has a large latency, caused by all the 'layers' :roll: :
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:11 am

I don't know. I bought a USB --> Midi adapter and the thing doesn't even work. Figures. I guess that's a good thing. But now it's forced me to leave an old Maxisound Muse soundcard in the computer to use the gameport for midi, even though I now have an m-audio delta (thanks for the recommend Sonicade!)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:03 am

organic io wrote:I don't know. I bought a USB --> Midi adapter and the thing doesn't even work. Figures. I guess that's a good thing. But now it's forced me to leave an old Maxisound Muse soundcard in the computer to use the gameport for midi, even though I now have an m-audio delta (thanks for the recommend Sonicade!)

Doesn't your m-audio card have a MIDI port? :? I was thinking about buying a M-audio too...
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:45 am

The one I have doesn't (Delta 44). Sonicade has the Delta 66 and I don't think it has midi either, does it ?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Next

Return to Production / Mastering