Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

Bus compressor VS normal compressor

Bus compressor VS normal compressor

Postby knetter » Wed May 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Whats the difference and when do you use what?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Wed May 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm going to have to get a closer look at some of your stuff because I thought you already knew.

The "plain" compressor uses low CPU and is coded with a "hard" knee for simplicity. I haven't been using renoise long enough to know for sure, but I think that it is the older or original compressor.

The Bus Compressor uses more CPU and has an adjustable "knee" so that you can make the compressor "soft," that is, it can kick in gradually instead of activating instantly.

I use the Bus Compressor more often, because I like to have the extra control, though I should probably use the other one when I know I don't need Bus Compressor's features.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby knetter » Wed May 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks Chunter! I already had the feeling that the bus one is the most advanced one. I didn;t know it was the successor of the normal one. So just for backward compatibility they called the improved compressor "bus" compressor (so why not compressor2)? Whats so 'bus' about it?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby knetter » Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm

chunter wrote:I'm going to have to get a closer look at some of your stuff because I thought you already knew.

Sorry...;) I just mix on "feeling", I'm still a noob on theory....
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 pm

That's some good feeling you have there. :)

Actually, it's good to ask about the technical side of things, that's the best way to improve 8)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 am

chunter wrote:That's some good feeling you have there. :)

Damn right! Your ears are you best tool anyway, since every song needs to be mixed differently ... There is no right/wrong way, and even if you do something "technically correct", if it doesn't sound right, that doesn't even matter.

I always thought the bus compressor was geared more towards putting it on the entire mix instead of just one channel. But I guess that's more of the maximizer's purpose.

I don't know much about compressors except that the ones in Renoise can't shape sound nearly as much as if you throw Stardust in there. :D

edit: I understand them conceptually and what they do, I just haven't really figured out how to apply them well yet. Practice practice huh?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 pm

organic io wrote:I always thought the bus compressor was geared more towards putting it on the entire mix instead of just one channel. But I guess that's more of the maximizer's purpose.

The Maximizer is a brickwall limiter, that is, it's a compressor that turns on with ratio on maximum the instant the threshold is reached. Its most obvious use it to keep the master from distorting, but there's no law against using it to boost tracks that people always expect to be loud.

The most important thing to remember is that although you may read things about mixing that say "always" and "never," try to figure out what the reasoning behind such a statement is, so that you'll know when the right time to violate the proverbial rules is.

Mixing is one of those cases where the ends justify the means, it doesn't matter how you get your final result if it sounds good. (If your methods are unorthodox, then we'll simply study you instead.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby knetter » Fri May 15, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks again chunter! How'd you know this all?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Fri May 15, 2009 4:54 pm

knetter wrote:Thanks again chunter! How'd you know this all?

Mostly from discussion in #renoise on irc.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Production / Mastering