Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

renoise rewire and recording

renoise rewire and recording

Postby knetter » Fri May 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi,

Just to prevent Airmanns comments from being flooded with rewire questions ;) ...a topic here.
@Airmann: I've tried your setup with reaper as a slave of renoise, but I could not get any recording working. Hows this working with ASIO and input channels? Thanks BTW for this great hint of reaper!
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: renoise rewire and recording

Postby Airmann » Fri May 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah Reaper is really cool. I sold my Cubase Studio two weeks ago, because Reaper has more features which I need and is cheaper.
Moreover it's audio quality is excellent. Besides Justin Frankel, other DSP Freaks like Schwa (Olga Synth) are authors of Reaper.
The only things that disturbs me a bit are the number of menu entries and program settings. A bit too much and too chaotic, but nonetheless is the program just great.

I also had problems when using Reaper as slave. In slave mode there are no ASIO Settings possible and therefore there exist no input channels. Maybe there is a trick to do it with Reapers ReaRoute device - more info probably on the Reaper Forum (also an active experts commuity).

I simply solved this problem by using Reaper as master and Renoise as slave. I think this is the proper way to do it. You just have to insert a new Intstruments channel in Reaper and select Rewire->Renoise as instrument. In this mode you still can load songs and sample data in Renoise.

BTW: if Reaper is openend before Renoise and you launch a new Renoise instance, Renoise will ask you if you want to connect to Reaper as a slave.
I think it should be possible to insert multiple Renoise slaves into Reaper.

Hope I could help you .... if it works, it roxx ! I'm looking forward to the future songs that will be possible with those new features

Greetings...

Forgot some topics that one could stumble on:

1. Make sure that the BPM setting in Reaper and Renoise are the same !
LBP setting should have no effect.

2. Your I/O ASIO settings in Reaper must be ok

3. You have to set/assign the channels of the recording Line-in device explictly in every Reaper track

4. In a Reaper channel there's those speaker symbol. If you can hear nothing while recording, or have other mute/silence problems check the muting/solo settings and click on this symbol.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Sun May 24, 2009 9:38 am

Update: Reaper V3.0 is out ! With a lot of cool new features
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Production / Mastering