Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

varying speed and groove sensation phenomenon

varying speed and groove sensation phenomenon

Postby Airmann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi there,

I often experience the following phenomenon when listening to my own tracks:

- initial event: Tracking a song in the evening / at night

- At the next day I've sometimes the impression that speed has changed dramatically or is wrong. Or like in hourglass mode. Or vice versa: too fast

- I've the impression that something is out of sync / beat or that the groove is damaged !

- Sometimes it feels like the pitch changes at some parts like a bad tape recorder effect

What is it ? It's strange - no I don't take drugs or somethin'

BTW: I've read that one should slightly increase speed of a song after composing it, because that can improve it - has it to do something with it ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby tenfour » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 pm

maybe this is similar; sometimes I experience it like this:

in the evening, I am still working with some song idea, and I haven't settled on a tempo yet. I add detail and slow the tempo, or i remove detail and increase tempo. Try to find some balance between being overwhelming and being boring.

Then i go to sleep, and wake up and I say to myself "um that is so obviously too slow".

My theory is that while I'm tweaking it, my mind is still attached to old ideas I was exploring -- that my imagination fills in gaps and makes me think of my tune as being more exciting than it really is. when those old ideas die out of my head, i can hear the song for it's boring, true, self.
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 pm

That's interesting and it goes into the right direction.

I experience the same at night: it's often more exciting than the day after.

I have to think about it. ...

I really have to sleep now
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Another Theory

Postby Airmann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:45 pm

maybe it has something to do with compression, too ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:54 pm

What I am sure of is that a piece that sounds inspired on one night may sound like crap to fresh ears on a different day. This, I experience often, but I've never felt like a programmed piece is too slow or too fast on a new listen.

What I can say about tempos is-

Faster tempos do not need to be as precise as the definition of beats and half beats and such become blurred as your tune is faster.

Slower tempos must be very precise, as the half beats, quarter beats, eights of beats and so on, are very, very clear.

Sloppy rock bands play fast either because they are overexcited or want to cover how poor their rhythm is.

Is there a chance that this sense of precision is what you're noticing?
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby shadowbane » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 pm

My theory: The first time you are working through a piece you are listening as much for melody and harmonics as you are the tempo and rhythm, the second day you listen for these things less, making sure everything fits. In addition you aren't distracted from your listening by the creative process and deciding what would fit in places, you are focused entirely on what is there at present. This is why it is recommended by some to put down a song for a couple weeks and then come back and finish it. You will be more objective and edit/mix what is there instead of your ideas about what could be there.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 am

Thx everybody ... I'll think about it !

Hey Chunter: good hint about precision and speed. Never thought about this.
Maybe that's something to do with it, too

Shadowbane: yeah the focus thing is also a good hint. That's right if you focus much on one aspect the song sounds different when this is not the case. THx
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: varying speed and groove sensation phenomenon

Postby organic io » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:54 am

armia741 wrote:I am still working with some song idea, and I haven't settled on a tempo yet. I add detail and slow the tempo, or i remove detail and increase tempo.

Is that so? Spambot bammed
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Production / Mastering