Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

Linux music discussion (originally "Ableton & Wine&

Postby shadowbane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:59 pm

The biggest thing that kills it is low CPU.. Especially with lower latencys. With my cpu limited (4x800MHz) I can't handle Hydrogen playing back a fury of notes going through ~4 fx in jack-rack. When I cranked up my cpu to full power I had minimal drops with ridiculous chains (including one that had a "high latency" mode that I had turned on.

A real time kernel might have helped this too, I had everything at normal priority with a vanilla kernel.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 pm

organic io wrote:Aha, so far I have not put a lot of effects on this... Since I have just been using it to trigger Addictive Drums so far (and it has its own effects chains which are pretty robust). I wonder if it would kill it to run more effects on it. I will end up testing that in a few more weeks once I get my organ pedalboard wired up and use it to play back synths

I wonder if more RAM would help with glitching too. I only have 1GB right now but I am planning on saving up for another 2GB

I'm going to rename this thread to the Linux music discussion

Addictive drums is great ... is it available for Linux ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Airmann wrote:Addictive drums is great ... is it available for Linux ?

Nope nope. Was running it through fst, but it kept crashing when I would change presets, so now I finally got it working with dssi-vst and it is rock solid. I'll post some pictures of my drums setup soon. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: Ableton & Wine

Postby organic io » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:27 pm

fbjon wrote:
organic io wrote:With a realtime linux kernel, I was able to get much lower audio latency, plus JACK is an awesome thing.

Have you gotten the realtime kernel work with binary blob GPU drivers for nvidia etc.? Having both fast 3D graphics and realtime audio would be fantastic..

Really good news!!! After toying with the idea of a dual boot setup and being turned off by the idea, I decided to just give the newest binary drivers a try...

lo and behold, it installs and works perfectly on my 2.6.33.3-candela realtime kernel that I compiled myself. Just tested neverball, it works. Just tested memlock/nice via ubuntu studio controls and they work. Drums setup still works. No crashes so far.

I did have to boot into gnome first to configure my screens/resolution. (I use xfce), but after I did that (and had to run sudo nvidia-xconfig to make the settings stick), everything is working great.

Recap: It installed perfectly with no fuss, no source code editing, no trickery. Aside from a couple of minor issues mostly related to using xfce, this was painless.

I will report back about stability in a week or so.

Now I can have my cake and eat it too. Which will help me to relax when I need to play a marble madness clone every once in a while. :D

Edit: Almost forgot to post the drivers link. This is the one I used:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

After downloading, all I had to do was kill X and then run "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run"... And it compiled and installed perfectly :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Sweet sweet... CG Madness

This is pretty nice. No sound, but hey. It's got nice physics
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:26 am

Almost a week with these drivers and absolutely no stability problems at all.

Seems to be working perfectly.

Rock on :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 am

Rock on Organic IO. Good to hear your rocking Ableton. I just had some bumpiness with Nuendo in XP but fixed it with some buffer adjustments.

Post some of your peices you make in Ableton. Even if they aren't finished.

I'll start thread in non-sdcompo songs to share some short / unfinished but promising material.

Cheers,
Sonicade
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Well actually, I haven't even installed Ableton yet. Was just looking into it as a possibility. But I'll try to get some live recorded stuff together to post in a few weeks :) Paul has already heard a bunch of my practices but I'll try to make something a little more polished for "public listening". :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 am

Wow, Organic IO.

you're really digging into the Linux depths. Very interesting to read about the realtime kernel etc. Please keep me informed.
You know: I work with Server-Linux on a daily basis, but this is a very different corner.

Best greetings :-)
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 am

Here is some exceedingly interesting news for anyone currently running Linux, still wants to run the occasional Windows game but isn't completely happy with Wine...

VMWare is surprisingly good for gaming.

I had tried Sun's virtualbox before and wasn't too impressed with it. But I installed XP on VMware player 3.1 this weekend, and my jaw dropped when I saw all the games I tried run almost perfectly, including 3d accelerated ones (!). It has experimental direct3d support and somehow it just passes it straight over to Linux's openGL and it runs like you were actually inside Windows. (In fullscreen mode anyway. I think it gets slow if you try to do it windowed)

Some of my 2d games stutter slightly, but I think I need a bit more RAM (only 1GB right now). But I had no idea I would be able to run fullspeed virtualization this soon... I thought it would be like another 10 years.

Pretty damn cool. Now the only thing I need Wine for is audio apps. And I don't need my dual boot of XP for anything.

Bring on the time-saving. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:20 am

And I thought vbox was the better one, but maybe vmware has improved their stuff. And I don't like that 423'&4''**73 Oracle has taken over.

I'll give vmware another check
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:13 am

Airmann wrote:And I thought vbox was the better one, but maybe vmware has improved their stuff. And I don't like that 423'&4''**73 Oracle has taken over.

I'll give vmware another check

Well, just because you mentioned this, and I did a bit of reading, (read that Virtualbox is supposedly faster), I took Virtualbox for a spin last night. I was very impressed with how well XP runs in fullscreen mode, everything is very snappy.

Unfortunately, Virtualbox's graphics driver is not supported by Microsoft DirectX, so the only current workaround that I could find is to use WineD3D.... Which is very hit or miss with games.

The games I am playing are Japanese 2d shooters, sometimes with odd ways of displaying things on the screen and stuff. This didn't go well with the WineD3D at all. (And I think a lot of them use DirectX 7 or lower, which has only 'experimental' support with WineD3D)

However, VMware just plain works with DirectX straight out of the box... It's really nice.

So, My rate of success with

Virtualbox: 10% of games load (approx)
VMWare: 90% of games load. I have only had a few I've had trouble with

VMWare is the clear winner here... Although the speed is a little bit lacking, only on a few games... I think with time, more RAM, and faster CPU, VMware will provide an absolutely flawless virtual machine experience within the next few years.

I'll give Virtualbox a try again if they ever get true DirectX support going.

Now if you're wanting to just play Quake or something like that, I'm sure Virtualbox is fine. But if you are using the WineD3D driver, it seems to me that anything that doesn't work in Wine isn't going to work in Virtualbox either... Which pretty much makes Virtualbox useless as a gaming replacement for Wine.

But I'm wasting too much time on games again already.

I need to shut up and take a step back now. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:40 pm

ok, worthwhile infos for the casual gamer like me.
Indeed me too like good 2D Games. Nowadays everything is 3D. I miss the comic -style games.

Greetings
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 am

Airmann wrote:ok, worthwhile infos for the casual gamer like me.
Indeed me too like good 2D Games. Nowadays everything is 3D. I miss the comic -style games.

Greetings

I've done a 180, pretty much all my favorite games in the 90's and early 2000's was 3d games - Descent, Hexen, Rune, Thief, racing games, etc...

And now pretty much all I play is 2D stuff. :)

I've become one of those "oldschool gamers". :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:29 pm

OLD SCHOOL RULEZ :-) and Starcraft 2
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Previous

Return to Production / Mastering