Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

how to do a smooth fadeout in renoise

how to do a smooth fadeout in renoise

Postby tenfour » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:36 am

automation of renoise's gainer is not linear. Making a linear fadeout automation in renoise will generate a convex fadeout curve in the resulting waveform. Usually it sounds much nicer if it's the other way around though (concave shape in the waveform).

Is there a trick to doing this that i'm missing?
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby keith303 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 pm

pretty old threat, but i just stumbled upon this and wanted to check this myself.
my findings are that both, a linear pre- and post-gain automation result in a totally linear fade.

or did i misunderstand something?
keith303
Newb
Newb

Postby Airmann » Fri May 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Hint:
@Keith: I guess he meant the gainer device, not the pre-/post-fx devices. But actually I'd expect them to be the same - have to check out, really interesting.

@Tenfour:
maybe it's a compression-related issue ?

E.g. if it's a gainer (or of course master pre-fx volume) on the master track before (!) some kind of compressor/maximizer
In this case the input level for the compressor variies over the fade out time, and this can result to a non-linear output curve.

That's the reason why fade-ins / fade-outs should be done either at the later mastering stage. Or alternatively I'd use post-fx gain or a gainer automation after compression
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

getting fade-out to sound linear

Postby Myoozk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm

I think the original poster's observation is valid. Using a linear fade-out in renoise does not result in a fade-out that sounds linear. It will look linear in the resulting wave-form, but to the ears, it's fall-off will sound "convex".

So, to make it actually sound linear, I find I have to approximate the curve by making it drop off extra fast at the beginning, and then slower -- a more concave shape. I find myself doing this a lot, so I agree it would be nice if renoise provided a function for this.

I expect this effect comes naturally from the properties of sound propagation, but I haven't worked out the math. Maybe somebody else has?
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" -- A. Einstein
Myoozk
Newb
Newb

Return to Production / Mastering