Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

How to maximise volume without distortion?

How to maximise volume without distortion?

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:34 am

With my entry for the last round the whole thing ended up quite low in volume and I'm trying to work out how to mp3 it without getting distortion.

Normally I just export to wav as 32 bit, open the file in Soundforge, normalise, save as 16 bit, and then convert to mp3, but I just did that with this track and I'm getting more distortion than I like.

Likewise I tried just adding a gainer to the master channel of the actual track, but again that results in distortion when played.

Does anyone have any tricks for maximising a track's volume without losing quality?
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby groovyone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:28 am

You gotta figure out what is causing the distortion. Normalizing does not add distortion, so the distortion is in the sound already.

It seems that it's your echo channel being a bass beast passing through flange.

Try EQ'ing your echo channel. Use EQ10, drop 50Hz -20dB, 100Hz -10dB, 10kHZ -10dB, and 15kHz -15dB, also try changing your flanger to -50%. I found the flanger tends to add crackle for some reason. I've been avoiding using it now.
groovyone
Regular
Regular

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:05 am

Ah, that makes perfect sense! You're a wizard, I just implemented your suggested changes on the echo channel, and also copied the EQ across to the echo echo channel and pulled back the phaser a lot because it was also causing issues. I've just re-rendered and normalised and the mp3d version sounds a million times better.

Legend! Thank you very much :)

While I remember, I'm currently building a new site for my music and I wanted to put up some useful Renoise-related hints and tips from various people... would it be ok if I posted some of the mastering info you've posted in these forums? And if yes do you have a website you want credited?
---------------------
www.alarinmusic.com
---------------------
Harmony
Regular
Regular

Postby groovyone » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Harmony wrote:While I remember, I'm currently building a new site for my music and I wanted to put up some useful Renoise-related hints and tips from various people... would it be ok if I posted some of the mastering info you've posted in these forums? And if yes do you have a website you want credited?

Go for it, and nah, don't need credits. It's just common sense stuff.
groovyone
Regular
Regular

Return to Production / Mastering