Discuss & Share your Audio Production, Mastering, Post Production Techniques here.

My 2015 Music Production Books - Wishlist

My 2015 Music Production Books - Wishlist

Postby Directionless » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Saved all these in Amazon for when I add a couple more pieces to my gear next year and try to take the next step forward in learning and developing. Here is the list. Feel free to add or discuss:

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio
by Mike Senior

Music Theory for Computer Musicians
by Michael Hewitt

Drum Programming: A Complete Guide to Program and Think Like a Drummer
by Ray F. Badness

Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Synthesizer Programming, Sound Analysis, and Universal Patch Book
by Fred Welsh
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: My 2015 Music Production Books - Wishlist

Postby Directionless » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Some offline feedback.. my buddy says:

A lot of Mixing Secrets covers room conditioning and stuff. So it's just things to keep in mind for your studio more than actual mixing tricks.

I don't know about that Welsh synth coobook, they are always selling copies on eBay and something about it seems skeevy. Just google "Sound On Sound Synth Secrets" and see if that doesn't satiate your need for a guided general synth patchmaking tutorial.

I have heard about that Ray Badness book but I forgot what was said about it except that the guy has an awesome name. Hahaha.

I am willing to bet that theory book is useless. I bought a few general theory books like that and they have always been useless and tell you a bunch of stuff you already know.

I would also add Dance Music Manual by Rick Snowman on your read list. It's a very good book.

He brings up a good point about online resources like Sound On Sound.

I think part of the trouble for me there is that, just like with all knowledge on the internet, I have had it accessible to me all this time and still haven't gained that much from it in contrast to how much time I have spent on the internet. We end up spending a lot of time filtering through the mass of info. I'm kind of looking for something that will give it to me in book form in one point of view.

I'm also looking forward to some of this reading just for enjoyment on topics I'm interested in. I still enjoy reading hard copy, although technology has made electronic formats more accessible than before.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Dunno, I have enough self help books to fill up the self help section in the library, and the only ones that actually help me are the ones I really put effort into putting into practice.

Me personally for some reason I don't have any interest in reading any music production stuff right now. But that's coming from a month ago where I was literally questioning whether I should write music anymore.

As far as the books go, agreed that the drum book guy's name is cool... I wonder if it is a pseudonym. I "became a drummer" almost 5 years ago, and it did indeed change the way I think about tracking drums , whether it is fills, or adding subtle flairs or what. So I almost want to recommend: Just learn to start playing drums instead of reading that book. It was really rewarding for me. :) But I always had a tendency to beat on stuff my whole life, so I guess I was just a late bloomer as far as actually applying it to a real drum kit. So it may not be for everybody.

But yeah.

Another good thing to read might be the manual to a vsti. Enter a round of OSC and read the manual, learn it really well, and then try to write more songs with that vsti.

I've recently reinstalled Hypersonic which I used in some older songs of mine (2005 era) and am falling in love with this synth all over again. Think I'm gonna make some new tunes with it, it still sounds wonderful & powerful.

Anyway. :o
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:03 am

organic io wrote:I've recently reinstalled Hypersonic which I used in some older songs of mine (2005 era) and am falling in love with this synth all over again. Think I'm gonna make some new tunes with it, it still sounds wonderful & powerful.

Good for you man. That's a good place to be, just loving playing with those sounds.. making something.

organic io wrote:Another good thing to read might be the manual to a vsti. Enter a round of OSC and read the manual, learn it really well, and then try to write more songs with that vsti.

Good call. Yeah, Ballacr75 has been trying to get me on the OSC train. I made one entry a couple months ago but never got it to where I liked it and didn't submit. But I do have these things called real synthesizers I am learning to make sounds with. The Guru tool for Renoise is cool for giving you access to one screen of all the controllable parameters. It isn't possible to automate them. But very inspiring for tweaking knobs to set up a patch.

organic io wrote:As far as the books go, agreed that the drum book guy's name is cool... I wonder if it is a pseudonym. I "became a drummer" almost 5 years ago, and it did indeed change the way I think about tracking drums , whether it is fills, or adding subtle flairs or what. So I almost want to recommend: Just learn to start playing drums instead of reading that book. It was really rewarding for me. :) But I always had a tendency to beat on stuff my whole life, so I guess I was just a late bloomer as far as actually applying it to a real drum kit. So it may not be for everybody.

Yeah, massive respect for those who can keep their coordination playing real drums or synth drum pads. I can see how that experience would be beneficial. I am interested in that book to learn some tricks and perspective without trying to play the drums, because that's not going to happen. :P Not that I wouldn't love to have some real drums pads to bang on anyway. :)

organic io wrote:Me personally for some reason I don't have any interest in reading any music production stuff right now. But that's coming from a month ago where I was literally questioning whether I should write music anymore.

Understood. For me, it is a natural extension at this point in life as I am having to read books for school all the time. It just makes me want to incorporate more of my other interests into my reading. I was going to take a Music Theory I class this semester. I was signed up, but when I was getting all my books and discovered the class was going to cost me $350 in books all by itself, I was like, eff this. You know how much gear you can buy for $350!? That's like 3 or 4 low rent auction synths.

organic io wrote:Dunno, I have enough self help books to fill up the self help section in the library, and the only ones that actually help me are the ones I really put effort into putting into practice.

Haha. It's always the good ones that hit you at the right time. Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now and Awakening to your Life's Purpose were good ones for me at that right moment. Now the right moment is for me to do more critical reading on something I have been messing around with a long time with no training or education, apart from all my years in choir.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Production / Mastering