Soundevotion Competition entry discussion.

SDCompo 19 - Late Entries

SDCompo 19 - Late Entries

Postby Directionless » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:02 am

Hmmm. sounds familiar. Yeah, I'm not a very good slacker... only slack enough to be a day late and a dollar short.

Directionless_DigitalResolution.mp3
Directionless_DigitalResolution.rar

Hope you like. It was fun to make... Now onto something for the local Salt Lake City SparkArts Festival this October.... which may or may not preclude me from having something (ON TIME!) again next round. ;)

-peace-
Last edited by Directionless on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:50 am

hey D! glad you could post something for us to hear even if you missed the deadline. you can't start rendering with only 3 minutes left though! you gotta finish tracking at least 20 minutes before the deadline to give yourself time for all that overhead stuff. i try to be at the point where i'm clicking "submit" at least 5 minutes before, just incase there are any little hiccups

i've been listening to this on repeat a couple times while i read the news on my lunchbreak. i like it. very relaxing. you did a great job with the samplepack. nice chord progression and lead instrumentation. i absolutely love the buzzing drone instruments in the background which gives it an amazing atmosphere.

i think you could have done more work with the drums as far as variation goes, but they are otherwise sufficient and not overpowering

my favourite part has to be where the distorted bassline kicks in at 2:56. wonderful depth !!! the ending is very fitting and has nice resolution

i started an entry. i planned on finishing it last night, but i chose to sleep instead. heeh! but i'll put a little time into it tonight and probably post a "progress preview". now that it's outside the compo, i'll probably add some vsti's and such and possibly develop it into a "full production" like i did with antegrade

hopefully overthruster will post his here as well

edit: i also forgot to mention that i wish there was something like sparkarts over this way :( you would think that something as awesome sounding (i've never been to one) as demoparties would be universally popular, but for whatever vucked up reason, it's never caught on in amerigos. it makes me sad :(
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 am

well , here's the mess that i've got so far ...

http://djiomusic.googlepages.com/09-25- ... ogress.mp3

maybe i'm trying too hard to make something challenging for myself, heeh. i don't know :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:22 pm

dj io wrote:well , here's the mess that i've got so far ...

http://djiomusic.googlepages.com/09-25- ... ogress.mp3

maybe i'm trying too hard to make something challenging for myself, heeh. i don't know :D

There's no such thing! Like EA Games logo says: Challenge Everything. :P

Nice Acid Jazz drums! I'm sure you could work this into a musical splendor.

the part at 0:57 is interesting. I think if you added some more structured music in the background at that part, might help smooth the transition. I dunno, like a chord progression that fits the beat right before and after it.

Hope you flesh this one out. There's still the voting week period.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 pm

Directionless wrote:the part at 0:57 is interesting. I think if you added some more structured music in the background at that part, might help smooth the transition. I dunno, like a chord progression that fits the beat right before and after it.

yeah, that part was just me being mystified by the sound i had just created by adding a shitload of flange to one of the samples, and basically just f-ing around and hitting record on the first thing that came out. i'm not really sure if i'm going to use that for the final cut and i know the transitions are terrible right now :D the idea was for it to be jarring ... i dunno. i'm still working on the chord progression for the beat part, and once i'm done with that, i may end up using a variation on it for the break part instead of all those shite, i mean white, keys
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Alternative Versions

Postby Justin Credible » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi,

i did not miss the Compo, but i produced two additional versions of my enry this time before i finally decided to release the official entry.

If you like you can check them out here:

EF alternative Mix 02:
http://www.adambomb.info/downloads/jUST ... LOWRMX.mp3

EF alternative Mix 03:
http://www.adambomb.info/downloads/EFSwitch.mp3

Sorry if this was not meant to be posted here.

Cheers

Justin
"Let Go"
It's not about being on the Cover of a magazine - it's about making music.
Justin Credible
Regular
Regular

Postby plusminus » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:09 am

Directionless: Great track, it's really too bad you didn't get to enter it. You really burn through themes in this track, especially at the start where things that could have been a main theme for a whole song get superseded. But it's still a nice listen. I think you make really nice use of those samples, especially the flute and the phased synth, they don't sound overly processed compared to the original sample but yet they feel very natural in your track. Nicely done!

DJ Io: That's a great start, and surprisingly percussion-based for one of your tunes :) I like the contrast between the rhythmic part and the weirdo piano sound, but it does need something else in there to smooth it a little bit.

Justin Credible: Your mixes are quite interesting to listen to, although I don't feel that they're as good as the original mix. It's nice to hear things stripped down a bit compared to your rather dense mix in the original track, and the percussive variations are good for a change. Also interesting to hear the track without any beeping in the first remix. But neither of them have quite the energy of the original... would be good for the B-side of the single ;)

Anyhow I had meant to make something or other for this compo but I've been more interested in playing old Sega Genesis games lately. Maybe I'll bump this topic in a few weeks with something.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby Directionless » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:45 pm

plusminus wrote:Directionless: Great track, it's really too bad you didn't get to enter it. You really burn through themes in this track, especially at the start where things that could have been a main theme for a whole song get superseded. But it's still a nice listen. I think you make really nice use of those samples, especially the flute and the phased synth, they don't sound overly processed compared to the original sample but yet they feel very natural in your track. Nicely done!

Cool man, thanks.

yeah, sometimes i just gotta burn through themes. it's all coming together though. my new tracks for the SparkArts festival now feature 25% less theme burning. :)

Thanks again for listening and feedback!
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to SDCompo Songs / Entries