Soundevotion Competition entry discussion.

sdc30 unfinished tunez

sdc30 unfinished tunez

Postby CAG » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:52 pm

I'll start. I know keith303 should definitely show us what he was working on too...
sadness... I was up to the 5 min. mark almost. but time is not on my side, and I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to finish it now:
grab it here
CAG
Regular
Regular

Postby keith303 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 pm

another one bit the dust:
download

it was quite hard to force myself writing this tune with good old 1.91, when you're used to "something else" since more than half a year.
i think that's basically the reason for why this tune started to bore me so quickly..
besides that, i really ran out of inspiration (as one can probably hear.. )

btw, would i have violated the rules for this round with the added vocal snippets ?

edit
@CAG
nice tune. love how the theme changes to the weirdo/noise beats part.
the strings sound a bit "empty" maybe, but are still doing their job.
the music box is really sweet :)
bummer this didn't enter... :(
keith303
Newb
Newb

Postby Airmann » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:58 pm

Keith, even if you got bored about this one. I like it as I like most of your songs. Like the drone-sound and most of everything else. The mix is very good and studio-headphone-ear-friendly. Nothing disturbed me.

Another great tune from you. Too pitty you didn't make it in time. Had surely been one of my favorites :-)

Regards ...

P.S.: it's really astonishing what you squeezed out of this rounds' sample set. Especially the drums were a bit underrepresented. I really had problems to find suitable drum sounds.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby keith303 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:36 pm

thanks for the feedback, airman.
i always pay great attention on getting a halfway decent mix.. i think i've gotten pretty sensitive to badly mastered / mixed music throughout the last years, so that i spend about half the time on EQing / sound designing when writing a tune.

anyways, glad you like it!
keith303
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:49 pm

@CAG
Cool pattern comments hah, SDC Ltd!
This track has a Final Fantasy (IV) glitchy remix kind of feel to me. The strings in the intro and music box give it a bit of a Japanese feel which I dig. Cool rhythm ideas with a great refrain and return to drums. Well done track, I enjoyed it!

@Keith303
I really like laid back feel and ambiance of the pads in this track. As usual amazing use of the samples, kudos to your sound design skill. Cool phaser use in the rendered seq column. The last two patterns could have been made to repeat until fade out to finish the track maybe? All in all an enjoyable and impressive track to listen to!

Shame these both missed the deadline. Great efforts from both with neither lacking in substance!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to SDCompo Songs / Entries