Soundevotion Competition entry discussion.

Round 49 - missed deadline

Round 49 - missed deadline

Postby gilli » Mon May 31, 2010 9:15 am

Hi all,

there are at least two songs that didn't make it to the deadline. Irrelevn'ts and mine.

So I thought those should be shared here in the forums.

Starting with mine.

Its orchestral/happy and it tells a story about a falling drop of water. On its way to the ground it's passing various situations like danger and fun until it finally lands in a peaceful place (I like happy endings).
With a higher quality this song is also meant to be the music for a 3D animated video. The idea of the above story comes from a friend, Helge, who does the animations.

During the competition I asked if we were allowed to record an accoustic guitar.
Since I tend to have strong focus on meldy in classical songs, I take the characterstics of such instruments to provide the rhythmic feel. The outcome might show how I meant to use it in an orchestral song.

You can hear some missing details by the end of the song, because I was in a rush and had a strong lack of sleep when I got closer to the deadline. Once again I could not upload fast enough to be in time - I should change my attitude ;)

However, I put lots of efforts into the song, so I'd really like to receive some comments.

Samplebased source (please check it): http://www.gilzad.de/music/nt_-_falling_drop.zip
Stream: http://www.gilzad.de/music/nt_-_falling_drop.ogg

Looking forward to see your song here, too, irrelevnt.
gilli
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Mon May 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Hey nt,

too pitty you didn't make it before the deadline.
Maybe Sonicade is mercyfull and adds it to official round :-?

Really I think this is a great one, sounds really cinematic and has a slight nostalgic spanish 60ies feeling ... hey Pedro play the trumpet muchacho ;-)
Very well done.

Greetings
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby KungFuFurby » Mon May 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Now this is a tune that had a lot of promise. I actually started my tune while there were only three days left before voting! I can be very quick with my musical production without the notation being really bad. ^_^

Your tune could have faded out there, actually, to disguise your tune from being unfinished. The only thing I would have added would be the marimbas near the end of the tune, since they ended prematurely (a few seconds short... that's how close they were).
Just consider me a person using a PPC Mac to make music... and to listen to your music! ^_^
KungFuFurby
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Mon May 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Of course it breaks my heart to see an entry not make it. Thank you NT for providing all the details (Title, description, mp3 link, etc) of your track, I've added it to the round.

Keep in mind the deadline is there for discipline. If I keep going soft on it, it will hurt us composers and the compo.

Otherwise awesome job NT for putting in the time for a track this round!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby irrelevnt » Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 pm

I was having problems working on mine (a cover of 'house of the rising sun' due to lack of pc power, so if i can render what i have, i'll link to it here.

Been a bad week, since the transmission in my car went, kinda put off tracking on the backburner :(

It's fixed now, so now I have no excuse, and will try to render what's been done..

I may finish it outside of renoise in a non-tracking way with live instruments/recordings.
irrelevnt
Newb
Newb

Postby gilli » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Sonicade wrote:Keep in mind the deadline is there for discipline. If I keep going soft on it, it will hurt us composers and the compo.

Sonicade is just right. The way his heart breaks when an entry doesn't make it, it breaks my heart if anyone feels betrayed about me. I'd not dare to ask him for another late submission.

I love this community too much to mess with it, I really belive it's rare and precious. But for now I want to thank everyone for the comments who caused this.

@Irrelevnt: I'll be checking this thread until I get to hear your song!
gilli
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm

No worries Gilli, your entry is fair and ok. It is not the first time we've made an exception so no need for harsh words like betrayal. ;)

There are many ways to tell if someone has put hours more work into a track past the deadline. Our contest here is more about sharing and less about the competition element. We have a genuine and honest community here, let's enjoy each other's music.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to SDCompo Songs / Entries