Soundevotion Competition entry discussion.

lofi mix

lofi mix

Postby organic io » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:27 am

http://organic-io.bandcamp.com/track/lofi-mix

I was experimenting with "Jack rack" a few nights ago and ran some of my own songs through some filtering that gave them a very gritty, lofi distorted sound. Because of the specific types of filters used, the ways the sound is shaped and changed is surprising and unpredictable. Almost as if the computer has a mind of its own and decided to add its own flavor and rhythmic variations to my music. It was a lot of fun to make and very interesting to listen to (for me at least). It allows me to get a new perspective while listening to my own music, which is very interesting.

More info and listen/download at the link above

Tell me if I'm insane or if it sucks, but I find it completely fascinating how much the filters changed some of the sounds!

Edit: Also, bandcamp seems like a really nice site. Paul, we should use this for our upcoming coop!

Edit2: I recommend boosting the treble on this about 6db while listening. It sounded great on my monitors at home, and then I took it to the car and headphones and now it sounds too dark. Boosting treble by 6db on my ipod seems to fix the issue. I'll try to make an updated mix soon (if there is even anybody who doesn't think this is unlistenably insane already :twisted: )

(Mixing is such a crazy art, I'm seriously starting to question the validity of it and particularly those stuck up "headz" who condemn anything that's not clinically carved out to exact specifications)

Edit3: I'm not saying that mixing is useless. There are people who are amazing at what they do (Keith303 for example), and I recognize the value in that and definitely have a lot to learn from him & others... However, I think there is more room for creative freedom in mixing than people acknowledge.

</ramble>
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Listening right now, it sounds pretty cool, but there are times when the noise it a bit overwhelming..
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Man I really like your first two tracks. The melodies are really good.
Especially those of inflection point.

Like the lofi grumbling and filter fx. Give your songs a cool dirty / dark feeling.

But I also think the lofi is too dominant / really disturbs after a while. It's like a broken speaker or a bad radio transmission.

Mixing-wise one thing about lofi / distortion:

it boosts loudness, but destroys also transients. When applied too much your mix looses power and sounds thin/weak.

At least you should lowcut / highcut the distortion and you can compress it. This is usuually done for Heavy distorted guitars etc..

To bad that you couldn't contribute to #50. You make such nice tunes with great melodies.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Airmann wrote:To bad that you couldn't contribute to #50. You make such nice tunes with great melodies.

I really appreciate all the flattery that you seem to have given me lately. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:56 am

^^ ... that said, I wouldn't describe myself as somebody who easily gives compliments. No, indeed I like a lot of your melows, though production-wise there's still room for improvement. But that's the case for most of the entries here (including mine). So ... I wanna hear more :-)
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:25 am

Airmann wrote:^^ ... that said, I wouldn't describe myself as somebody who easily gives compliments. No, indeed I like a lot of your melows, though production-wise there's still room for improvement. But that's the case for most of the entries here (including mine). So ... I wanna hear more :-)

I've been kind of "out of the production scene" for a while now, for various reasons. It may be a while before you hear any compo entries from me. I have been a "compo junkie" ever since SDcompo started -- by which I mean getting a tune done for the compo has been my main/only inspiration/motivation for getting a tune done. I think from 2006-present, I haven't completed any serious songs outside of the compo. :) Pretty bad :) So I'm going to focus on the live drums project for a while, and a new co-op project with ambtax1 where we will use Renoise to make rock music. :)

So it may be a while before I have another entry, but I will certainly still participate in the community and you can count on hearing an entry from me later on. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Airmann » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey, good to hear there's something going beside SDCompo. For me SDCompo was and is always a good practicing platform. I'm still on the mission, and my longterm goal is to release one day something halfway-serious to the public. E.g. something like a 3-Song DnB release etc.. I've no illusions: money won't be earned, but maybe a few people hopefully will listen (that's also very difficult nowadays)

Beside that I've other goals - e.g. fun -, too. I think without goals it's difficult to keep the track on the long term.

So nice to hear you do some coop with Ambtax1.
Keep us informed about any releases. If you want to I could have a look at the mix(es).
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Airmann wrote:Keep us informed about any releases. If you want to I could have a look at the mix(es).

Are you volunteering to be the mixing engineer? And how much will this cost us? Free dollars? :wink: I might just take you up on that offer. Of course this will earn your name in the track credits as well, and I might even send you a box of Moravian cookies at Christmas. Rock on!!!

:D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:51 pm

lofi mix is interesting, I see what you mean. Perhaps if the effect had a way to appear and disappear even if it's completely random?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do other projects. If a monthly tune wasn't such good motivational fuel for me, I'd consider taking time off too ;)

btw, I will be passing through the Carolinas soon as I visit family in New York and New Jersey.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:14 pm

organic io wrote:
Airmann wrote:Keep us informed about any releases. If you want to I could have a look at the mix(es).

Are you volunteering to be the mixing engineer? And how much will this cost us? Free dollars? :wink: I might just take you up on that offer. Of course this will earn your name in the track credits as well, and I might even send you a box of Moravian cookies at Christmas. Rock on!!!

:D

:D I cite from myself : "...I've no illusions: money won't be earned". I'd be fine with the cookies ;-).
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to SDCompo Songs / Entries