Songs and Releases not related to SDCompo.

The fucked up cover songs thread

The fucked up cover songs thread

Postby organic io » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:10 am

everything in this thread has to be listened to solely for comedic value :)

http://io4spam.googlepages.com/djio-laislabonita.mp3

WOWZA!!!!! wtf !!!! :D :D :D :D :D .... this took about 2 hours tonight and also about 8 pounds of crack.
i'm really impressed with the results of melodyne though. i wonder what would have happened if i had actually tried to sing? more sloppy 80's covers coming soon !!!
Last edited by organic io on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:13 am

ah what the crap, i'll go ahead and embarass myself more and post the cover of Lionel Richie's "all night long" which i was working on but abandoned, that has the opposite effect on the voice. LOL !!!

http://djiomusic.googlepages.com/08-07- ... ogress.mp3
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: la isla bonita. a.k.a. the f-ed up 80's cover thread

Postby Directionless » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:25 am

dj io wrote:everything in this thread has to be listened to solely for comedic value :)

http://io4spam.googlepages.com/djio-laislabonita.mp3

WOWZA!!!!! wtf !!!! :D :D :D :D :D .... this took about 2 hours tonight and also about 8 pounds of crack.
i'm really impressed with the results of melodyne though. i wonder what would have happened if i had actually tried to sing? more sloppy 80's covers coming soon !!!

LOL!!! yes!

I'm a fan of what you're doing here. We are kindred spirits you and I - no concern of self embarassment and a passion for novelty music creation! :D

Break it down, make it wicked!!!! Ahahahaahah! my favorite parts and the lalalala boppity ba!
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:31 am

dj io wrote:ah what the crap, i'll go ahead and embarass myself more and post the cover of Lionel Richie's "all night long" which i was working on but abandoned, that has the opposite effect on the voice. LOL !!!

http://djiomusic.googlepages.com/08-07- ... ogress.mp3

hahahah man that's actually kinda cool. the instrumentation is super neat-0 on this!!

I'm gonna look for some novelty tracks on my HD to share here, but nothing I have can top these 2, nor do they have that awesome vocoder effect.

LOLOLOL Party Fiesta Forever!!

I love it. I hereby commission you to make an album's worth for my eternal amusement.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:14 pm

hehe, i'm glad you enjoy it, and thanks for the encouragement. i must admit i'm pretty much a cheater as far as the instrumentation goes. i downloaded a .mid file for both and imported into renoise. for "all night long" those are just the straight midi wavetables playing. i meant to re-texture it (like i did with la isla) but i decided to give it up because it's not really a serious endeavor anyway. i did do some changing of the structure of it to give it a more resolute ending (before it just looped the chorus).

for la isla, i converted all the midi instruments into vsti's, added a couple of effects. the bassline didn't convert properly from the midi so i actually did track that manually although it didn't take too long. slapped a generic house beat on top of it and there you go. all in the name of good fun!

the problem with importing midi's into renoise like this, is that most midi files have a huge gap at the beginning, and the notes will end up starting like in the middle of a pattern, making it a total BITCH for editing structure on. i found a midi file editor that will allow you to remove this gap but it's pretty tedious to edit (takes about 10 minutes).

hope you don't look down on it now that you know it's essentially retextured midi track piracy with vocals over it ;)

as for making an entire album's worth, that's kind of my eventual plan. since they are so easy , i will probably do maybe one a month. so by this time next year you might have your wish.

i'm really impressed with how realistic the vocals sound though (as in, sounding like a female voice). i think if i actually put some effort into this, i can have a very nice sounding female vocals track for a for-real song sometime
:)

definitely post anything you've got. i'd love to check it out.
Last edited by organic io on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Haha nice work dude! Like Directionless said I like the boppity bops. You should do more of these! :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:34 pm

dj io wrote:everything in this thread has to be listened to solely for comedic value :)

Agreed!

Here's one of my offerings to this fine thread:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/23/1289779/JohnAshcroft_LetTheEagleSoar_DirectionlessMOTU_mix.mp3

A John Ashcroft, Fmr U.S. Attorney General, original song - Directionless + MOTU Mix.

Masters of the Universe is my old drunk freestyle group. They contributed with me on the additional vocals. :P
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:03 pm

wow! this is 110% insanity! :D

i didn't know john ashcroft had done a song. so i went to watch it first.

this put a huge smile on my face!!!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

My (1977 so not quite 80's yet) Billy Joel Cover

Postby Directionless » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:31 am

Directionless_JustTheWayYouAre.mp3
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/23/1289779/Directionless_JustTheWayYouAre.mp3

Not sure this has the same comedic value for others as it does for me. I know some of my friends would laugh at me for playing this. But I didn't actually try to make it silly or anything. Its just an experiment with production is all.

The reason this has comedic value for me is that I actually know how to rock when it comes to live play. That being said, I think rock is kind of overrated these days because of the marketed coolness factor. The only way to overcome this in my eyes is with self-mockery/parody. Therefore, I will shamelessly make any style or rendition of a song that suits my insanity. All those rock bands can go on thinking they are the new cool haha (hey anything is better than being an american idol contestant!).

(psyche's note: secretly directionless wishes to be cool but he just hasn't achieved that with music yet)

no way fuck cool! ;)

Anyway, I really enjoy Billy Joel's original and i'm totally murdering it with this synth-pop cover. His was smooth jazz, which i quite enjoy.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

80's Cover

Postby Directionless » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:01 am

I forgot I've got an 80's Cover: Bobby Brown's My Prerogative. :D

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/23/1289779/Directionless_MyPrerogative.mp3

This is from a while back. One of my first attempts at mixing Psycle with live stuff so there's not much bells and whistles, variation, etc.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: 80's Cover

Postby aged » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Directionless wrote:I forgot I've got an 80's Cover: Bobby Brown's My Prerogative. :D

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/23/1289779/Directionless_MyPrerogative.mp3

This is from a while back. One of my first attempts at mixing Psycle with live stuff so there's not much bells and whistles, variation, etc.

better than britney :D

but seriously, it's good as it is, it doesn't need any more bells and whistles..
simple=better :)

*the grin is still on my face*
aged
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: 80's Cover

Postby Directionless » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:13 pm

aged wrote:
better than britney :D

but seriously, it's good as it is, it doesn't need any more bells and whistles..
simple=better :)

*the grin is still on my face*

Thanks brother! REally appreciate your supportive feedback, even on my novelty tracks! :D
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm

hehe, this is really awesome. i've been listening to it on loop while i posted on the renoise forums. nice guitar work and lovely slowness. if i had covered that song, it would have been totally different. this gives me the idea to do "humpin around" ... in fact, that just might be my next cover !
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:16 pm

Let this extremely blast from the past comedy tune inspire you (or make you puke).

My deceased pal and i adlibbed the tune based on the idea of the Boy Bands which were all the rage at the time, and which always seemed to sing about shit like this.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/23/1289779/BoyBand4LIFE_GirlICantGoOn.mp3
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:35 pm

i need you around all the time to hear my rhymes ???/ ahhahahaha, that's terrible!

there's uh, not a lot of lyrical content though ... nice singing though, and the couple of rhymes that are there are funny .... "play your guitar like it knows you should... you from the hood! " .a..ahahaha, nice one
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Next

Return to Non-SDCompo Songs