Songs and Releases not related to SDCompo.

PSPSeq in action.

PSPSeq in action.

Postby hseiken » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:27 pm

Started working on this last night.

Pure pspseq synths except for one drum loop and then I added slight post compression to the render in Audacity, but for the most part, it sounds exactly like this running live on PSP....

Don't you want this program now? :D

I didn't even use all the tracks up! :p

http://hseiken.mynoisebleeds.com/HSPSP03.ogg

Enjoy...still working on this tune, but being narcissistic, i think it shows just what the potential of pspseq is.
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 pm

sounds niceeee ... and i love my psp, but i still have no interest in using this because i can't take the tracks to renoise later :(

looks like fun though
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 am

Niice, pretty full sound going there! It's using synths on the PSP or samples run through PSPSeq? Sounds good. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 pm

i'm pretty sure it's samples. i don't think the psp even has any sound synths
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Ahh I see, well it still sounds good. Nice full sound. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby hseiken » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:44 pm

http://hseiken.mynoisebleeds.com/HSPSP04wip.ogg

DJ I O, no PSPSeq actually is about realtime synthesis. They're simple synths, but synths nonetheless.

This file is pair of live patterns I played with live.

Here's a list of synths/effects in PSPSeq. Each synth is monophonic. Only one effect can be added to each synth. Processing power can become limited. This file I posted maxes out at about 98% PSP processing power.

BAM - Bi-oscillating Audio Module
"The BAM is essentially a simplified standard 2 oscillator synthesizer but has sample-and-hold parameters. The oscillators (along with the frequency warp LFO) have a wide range of oscillator types mapped to them."

BFM - BAM FM
"BAM FM synthesizer is a 2 OP FM synth where both carrier and modulator are BAM synths."

FM - Simple FM
"FM is a bit more simplistic FM synthesizer as compared to BAM FM."

KS - Karplus-Strong
"The karplus-strong generator creates a wide variety of pitched noises as well as plucked string sounds."

N - White Noise
"N is a simple white noise generator."

PSQ - Square Wave with Adjustable Pulse Width
"PSQ is a 2 oscillator square wave generator with adjustable pulse width on each oscillator."

ROT - Rotational Generator
ROT is a rotational synthesizer, a simple and unique way of generating lo-fi audio."

WAV - Wave file player.
"WAV is a wave file player used for playing back samples within PSPSeq. Only one wave file can be mapped per track."

FX List

CLP - Clamper
"CLP clamps the output of the generator."

DEC - Decimator and Sample & Hold
"DEC is both a decimator and sample & hold FX unit."

MSK - Bitmasker FX
"MSK is a bitwise masker."

PCF - "Previous/Current Filter FX"
"PCF is a unique filter that works off of the previous and current sample from that instrument, combining them in interesting ways to create new sounds."

RD - "Reverse Dynamics FX"
"RD reverses the magnitutde of the values of the input; if the input sample value is small it is made large and vice versa."

SHP - Wave Shaper FX
"SHP applies a simple waveshaper to the input."

SVF - State Variable Filter
SVF is a State-Variable Filter." Contains Notch, Low pass, high pass, Bandpass.

Each synth as as well DADSR and Exponential envlopes for generator volume and for carrier/modulator in the FM synths. FX do not have envelopes. They must be programmed per step or use interpolation shortcut command.

So DJ I O, yes, PSPSeq is a synth program. Both these tracks only used minimal samples, both of them drum loops. HSPSP03 used one drum loop and HSPSP04wip used only 2 drum loops. The synth drums sound are actually generated realtime, as are the 808-ish high hat sounds. :)
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby hseiken » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:46 pm

If i had a digital video camera i would love to show the realtime synthesis abilities of the program. Alas, all I have is audio examples. :p
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey awesome, I thought they sounded synthesized, hence the clear tones. Very cool!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby hseiken » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Decided to create sort of a repo for rendered stuff I'm doing with PSPSeq...kinda-sorta an advert I guess, but also for just sharing with friends and stuff who don't have PSPSeq.

http://hseiken.mynoisebleeds.com/hspsp/

Currently, only HSPSP03 and 04 are up, but they're longer and/or sequenced. These two tracks are actually going on an EP a friend and I are working on.

Enjoy...if you get a psp and end up trying pspseq, pm me...
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby mutilus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:16 pm

:O

these absolutely rock! (specially 04) effing great.

I really want a handheld tracker, be it psp or gp2x
mutilus
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:32 pm

mutilus wrote::O

these absolutely rock! (specially 04) effing great.

I really want a handheld tracker, be it psp or gp2x

being a psp owner, i would highly recommend that if your primary reason for getting the console is the music tracker, get the gp2x. at least with that tracker, you can save a format that can be imported into other programs on computer. on PSP you're limited to only what you can do on the psp, which for me is a huge turnoff

if wanting the tracker comes only secondary to gaming, i'd say get the PSP. console emulation status is about the same on both systems, but obviously the psp's library is bigger, plus the reverse engineered PSX emulator, and i don't think gp2x has a fullspeed GBA emulator yet.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby hseiken » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:50 pm

uploaded a longer, more finished version of hspsp03...it's now named alien warhead and is about 3 minutes long with about 1.5 to 2 minutes left to write...this recording was straight from headphone jack while it was playing so there's system noise in it.

@ DJ IO:

I completely agree with you about what the end result of making music on a handheld is going to be. For me, I like having a portable 'groovebox' as a standalone (and therefore challenge) to make it rock. I'm one of those people that thinks, "Well, if i'm just going to work on this on my compy later, i may as well start on my compy to begin with."

As far as games and such, does gp2x have a full speed neogeo emu? I've been playing the shit out of art of fighting 3, windjammers and neoturfmasters lately. only neo-turfmasters shows any slowdown due to insane raster effects for the ground, but they can be turned on and off, as well as the music to get 100% speed, but all other games i've tried are 100% speed with sound. There's also a cps1 emu, too, for those fun capcom games, and i think even some cps2 games work fine as well (i.e. street fighter alpha series, etc.). I haven't tried it though...

Downside of PSP is getting it hacked to begin with in such a way you can play new commercial games an homebrew. gp2x has not this problem since it's an open system to begin with. That could be issue too.
hseiken
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:18 pm

hseiken wrote:As far as games and such, does gp2x have a full speed neogeo emu? I've been playing the shit out of art of fighting 3, windjammers and neoturfmasters lately. only neo-turfmasters shows any slowdown due to insane raster effects for the ground, but they can be turned on and off, as well as the music to get 100% speed, but all other games i've tried are 100% speed with sound. There's also a cps1 emu, too, for those fun capcom games, and i think even some cps2 games work fine as well (i.e. street fighter alpha series, etc.). I haven't tried it though...

Downside of PSP is getting it hacked to begin with in such a way you can play new commercial games an homebrew. gp2x has not this problem since it's an open system to begin with. That could be issue too.

i'm not sure, i don't have a gp2x but a quick magic 8 ball search says yes:
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Emulators_on_GP2X

on psp, you might try the neo geo cd emulator which came out a long time before the arcade rom emulator did, presumably because it's less cpu intensive to play the games since the sound is coming from cd audio. i remember at the time (late 2005), they were saying fullspeed neo geo rom emulation was impossible (because of the RAM requirements or something like that), and that was proven wrong so ... give it a go and maybe the rom games that slow down won't on the CD emu :)

cps2 emulator is every bit as good as the cps1 emu, i have actually been playing cps2 a lot lately due to my recent infatuation with shmups. today on my lunch break i played progear and 1944 the loop master. good good stuff

hacking it is less of a pain these days since pandora's battery. as long as you have a friend with a homebrew compatible psp, you're good to go. as far as i know, pandora still works with the latest psp hardware and firmware revisions, since it works at a hardware level. there is probably some way for sony to lock it out, but they haven't done so yet :-D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:08 pm

god damn, i spoke too soon about pandora

looky at the news today ... a new psp motherboard that locks out pandora

http://pspupdates.qj.net/New-PSP-mother ... aid/112669

well wait a second, it prevents you from "creating" one, but you can still use one on the unit, haha. this must mean that it's impossible to lock out, since service mode batteries are required to fix defunct units that sony gets in RMA.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Non-SDCompo Songs