Songs and Releases not related to SDCompo.

new song

new song

Postby tenfour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 am

I rarely make music outside of SDCompo actually, but I finally released something: http://soundcloud.com/tenfour/trail-disco

enjoy!
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 am

Aha, I see that you have the compo addiction bug too :)

Listening right now... This is really chilled out, nice and atmospheric. I love the continuous 16th note harp/synth-ish thing that is panned mostly to the right. (Strange, because I said almost the exact thing to Paul the other day about a song he was working on )

An unexpected change of pace here when the beat comes in, but very welcome. Great percussion work. I also like the minimalness of the "lead" synth and how it kind of just "jumps" in occasionally.

Change section at 4:50 has a really pleasing chord progression, I love the bassline here. Now it is just getting really funky and good with the synth lead.

Not sure what this has to do with disco...

But I love it. The song starts off good, but it just keeps getting better and better. Really classy songwriting, production, and buildup. The peak from about 6:30 - 7:30 is wonderful.

Any reason you didn't put a download link? This needs to be on my ipod. :) In fact, I think it is high time I put a 10-4 directory on my ipod.

I'm checking some of your "nostalgia" songs out right now. What tracker did you use for these?
And what did you use for "Japan"? Very impressive sound quality and mixing considering you did it in 1998.
Last edited by organic io on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:41 am

oops ok i enabled the download option. Yea it has nothing to do with disco, it's just the title. Thanks for the comments :)
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:44 am

tenfour wrote:oops ok i enabled the download option. Yea it has nothing to do with disco, it's just the title. Thanks for the comments :)

Wha... I was still editing and adding more as you typed this. :)

Hmm.. You do realize it's the 80 something meg .WAV file that is downloadable, right?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 am

oh haha - we can blame the instant email notification for my quick response.

For Japan and a few others, i used Impulse Tracker. I still have the original IT file even (all other old stuff has been destroyed along the way). Most other "nostalgia" songs were done on Amiga on a program called Aegis Sonix: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/06/06/aegis-sonix-an-early-software-synth/
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 am

tenfour wrote:oh haha - we can blame the instant email notification for my quick response.

For Japan and a few others, i used Impulse Tracker. I still have the original IT file even (all other old stuff has been destroyed along the way). Most other "nostalgia" songs were done on Amiga on a program called Aegis Sonix: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/06/06/aegis-sonix-an-early-software-synth/

Good old Impulse... It seems like a lot of Renoisers came from an IT background as opposed to FT2. Maybe there is something about it that appeals to us.

Never heard of Aegis Sonix. Is it a non-tracker program?

It's too bad that you lost other old stuff :(
I'm fortunate enough to still have virtually all of my stuff since I started in 97. I should go back and listen to some of the crap soon. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 am

sonix is pretty obscure. It was primarily a sample-based sequencer. It did have a built-in synth though which was decent. The sequencer was terrible though; it was a musical staff view and was annoying as hell. No effects or automation, you get notes or rests in 4 channels. You also could not change key, time sig, or tempo during the song. I used to mixdown things like chords and drum loops via my cassette tape recorder in order to squeeze more polyphony.

Now that I'm stirring up that memory, it makes me so thankful that Renoise exists! I didn't do any tracking from about 1999-2007 when I discovered Renoise + SDCompo. During that down period I had a jazz band, played in orchestras and flute ensembles, and wrote music with pen & paper.
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Return to Non-SDCompo Songs