Discussions and Reviews of Music, Movies, Games, Electronics, Concerts, Technology, Events, and more.

ipod custom firmwares / rockbox discussion

ipod custom firmwares / rockbox discussion

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 pm

knetter wrote:
organic io wrote:I have rockbox installed on my ipod, so I can play flac, ogg, wav, mp3s without id3's, etc. Even mod files now I think, and NES sound files :) Plus the organizational structure actually makes sense - directory trees! (like, omg what a complicated concept) I hated the apple firmware, I couldn't find any of my songs so I flashed it within a week of getting my ipod

Interesting! Can you fork this thread off to the tech-talk, where I can fire you some questions about this?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby knetter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:40 am

Playing ogg? Wow man, I thought that was too much CPU intense for the poor IPOD. I like the relational search features of the IPOD/Itunes SW, is that also possible in Rockbox?
-- grtz Knetter
knetter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:06 am

knetter wrote:Playing ogg? Wow man, I thought that was too much CPU intense for the poor IPOD. I like the relational search features of the IPOD/Itunes SW, is that also possible in Rockbox?

Nah it has no problem at all with oggs. It's not too cpu intense, it's just that apple doesn't want you playing anything other than their crappy $1/song drm crap.

I had never heard of relational search features. Not exactly sure what that does although I kind of have an idea. I did a search online and didn't come up with anything related to rockbox with it. So I'm not really sure. I've never seen anything in the menus/options about it though, so it's likely that it is not one of the features
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 am

DRM sux, use Amazon's MP3 Downloads if your track/album is available. 256 VBR mp3 with no DRM and reasonable prices.

Rockbox is teh shit! I run it on my iRiver IHP-120.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:03 am

Ahhh... I had an iriver mp3 cd player once upon a time. I loved it
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Media / Tech