Discussions and Reviews of Music, Movies, Games, Electronics, Concerts, Technology, Events, and more.

Linux discussion

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 am

Indeed Chotoro, it uses the realtime kernel.

I spoke to soon again though, it shat out last night while I was installing K3B, and when I booted back up, it did the same thing that vanilla 9.04 was doing a week ago... After I login, it starts to display the taskbars, but the desktop wallpaper never loads, none of the icons work, and I can't do anything.

A week and 3 Linux installs later, I'm back where I started.

I wonder if installing a different desktop would help? Maybe gnome isn't playing nice with some of my hardware? I will try that tonight from the command prompt

Whatchoo think chunter?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Could be a ram based problem. Make sure your ram is in well and run the memtest program by selecting it in the grub menu or off the CD
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:36 pm

I already did that a few weeks ago. Ram checked out just fine. 0 errors after 1 cycle of all the tests. I didn't think it necessary to let it run any longer than that
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm

That's a good point, RT kernels are more likely to catastrophically seize than the conventional ones ;) (because a process can take over control of things and accidentally not give it back)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:40 am

Well.. I installed xubuntu and it seems to be functioning ... For now. Not too bad of an interface either. Weĺl see. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:24 am

I spoke too soon.... again. I have wasted probably another 5 hours since then. It seems that I am too stupid to figure out how to both 1) install 3d support for nouveau, and also figure out dual monitor support with nouveau, even with a GUI xorg.conf editor, and messing around with the xorg settings manually.

I also tried multiple times to install different (unsupported) nvidia binary drivers manually, but they all failed for some reason or another.

Did some reading and apparently the nvidia proprietary drivers + rt kernel = bad... So I just installed the non-rt kernel and weŕe good to go. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of running ubuntu studio... But oh well. At least I can use my computer ....

:?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:02 pm

organic io wrote:Did some reading and apparently the nvidia proprietary drivers + rt kernel = bad... So I just installed the non-rt kernel and weŕe good to go. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of running ubuntu studio... But oh well. At least I can use my computer ....

:?

Make sure you get it working on a single monitor first if you're having trouble; keep in mind that you can probably still use ubuntu studio (without the RT kernel) if you finagle a setting or two, just as I can use RT kernels without installing studio at all, or how I am using LXDE in conjunction with KDE's apps... well, you get the picture.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:44 am

Yeah I mean basically I'm running xubuntu
It's all so modular, the distro doesn't mean anything except for right after you install it.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Previous

Return to Media / Tech