Discussions and Reviews of Music, Movies, Games, Electronics, Concerts, Technology, Events, and more.

Self help book recommends thread

Self help book recommends thread

Postby organic io » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm

OK, at suggestion of the one liners, we are creating a thread for book recommendations. Mostly self-help oriented.

So I'd like to kick it off with my favorite psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's fantastic "Flow"
http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Psychology-Optimal-Experience-P-S/dp/0061339202/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287601488&sr=8-1

Basically, he talks about how we can make our lives more meaningful by challenging ourselves... by finding activities we enjoy that challenge our skills, it stretches the bounds of our capabilities and creates order in consciousness. We can use this as a tool to change the quality of our experiences and enhance our lives....

Edit: to add more to this (I didn't explain it very well yesterday)... The book describes the resource of attention as "psychic energy"... In essence, what we choose to pay attention to shapes our mind and what we tend to think about.... Essentially, WE CREATE OUR OWN REALITY. We have this choice

The book is highly recommended for anyone.

Will post more books soon, unfortunately my break time is up
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 am

Another that was useful for me, "The power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. - http://www.amazon.com/Power-Now-Guide-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/1577314808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287678453&sr=8-1

Paul mentioned this one to me and I'm glad I read it. Although I had a difficult time getting through it, (it's written almost stream-of-consciousness), I am glad I read it. He touches on some key points about how important it is to stay in the present moment... A core teaching in many spiritual philosophies, and much of the book in fact mirrors Buddhism (a teaching I have begun to follow over the last few years) ...

I mean, what other time will you ever have, other than RIGHT NOW? You are always living in the present. The past can't be changed, and you can worry yourself to death about the future. If you waste time thinking about these things, you are completely missing what is right in front of your face the whole time.... He is telling us basically to embrace right now, whatever it may be.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby fbjon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:48 am

organic io wrote:Another that was useful for me, "The power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. - http://www.amazon.com/Power-Now-Guide-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/1577314808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287678453&sr=8-1

Paul mentioned this one to me and I'm glad I read it. Although I had a difficult time getting through it, (it's written almost stream-of-consciousness), I am glad I read it. He touches on some key points about how important it is to stay in the present moment... A core teaching in many spiritual philosophies, and much of the book in fact mirrors Buddhism (a teaching I have begun to follow over the last few years) ...

I mean, what other time will you ever have, other than RIGHT NOW? You are always living in the present. The past can't be changed, and you can worry yourself to death about the future. If you waste time thinking about these things, you are completely missing what is right in front of your face the whole time.... He is telling us basically to embrace right now, whatever it may be.

If you liked that one, you'll like "The wisdom of insecurity" by Alan Watts. Very short and easy to read, he talks about the same sort of things. From a more zen buddhist perspective, perhaps, but the book doesn't touch on religion that much. The main point is that insecurity is inevitable so you can only embrace it, while obsessing over security brings anxiety. Written in the 50's but still highly relevant today.

The book pretty much just points out the obvious, but it does it very clearly, and that's what makes it so good. :)
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:55 pm

interesting hints here.

I also think that insecurity is inevitable, but I know that faith gives security
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Media / Tech