General Discussion Forum.

sound processing limits?

sound processing limits?

Postby Astroboy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, now that I'm on time to prepare my next compo track I am on the need to ask this:
:P
Imagine I am using renoise and I want to issolate some frequencies of a sample but in such a way I could render the result on the Sample Editor and use that as an instrument (so the effect would be applied not to the track but to the sample). Is that 'legal'?
If so, let's put it on a next level. Coul I apply another built in, but not allowed dsp effect and render it and use the result as a sample?
Ok, after that... Could I apply any vst effect over a sample and render it and use it too?
Well, this time it seems to me that some samples could sound better after some processing stuff, that's why I'm asking.
:twisted:
Astroboy
Newb
Newb

Re: sound processing limits?

Postby organic io » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:15 pm

Astroboy wrote:Well, now that I'm on time to prepare my next compo track I am on the need to ask this:
:P
Imagine I am using renoise and I want to issolate some frequencies of a sample but in such a way I could render the result on the Sample Editor and use that as an instrument (so the effect would be applied not to the track but to the sample). Is that 'legal'?

Yes, rendering to sample is completely legal as long as you are only using the internal Renoise effects.

Astroboy wrote:If so, let's put it on a next level. Coul I apply another built in, but not allowed dsp effect and render it and use the result as a sample?

Yes... because all the built in Renoise DSP effects are allowed.

Astroboy wrote:Ok, after that... Could I apply any vst effect over a sample and render it and use it too?
Well, this time it seems to me that some samples could sound better after some processing stuff, that's why I'm asking.
:twisted:

You could only apply "any vst effect" and render it to a sample if it was done on vocals. This is because external vocal processing is allowed as long as the result is still recognizable as vocals.

However if it is any other sample, for example drums or instruments, using external vst's to process the effects and render samples would be not allowed.

Hope that clears things up. Good luck!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Astroboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:23 am

thank you io! You also answered a question I didn't remembered to ask last night.

:D
Astroboy
Newb
Newb

Return to Compo Talk