General Discussion Forum.

Round 40 questions

Round 40 questions

Postby FingerSoup » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:18 am

Ok, so I've got a few ideas on this "Personally recorded samples" round and a little time on my hands and I was thinking of entering this month... I've got a few questions:

1. I have created a few clean single-note guitar samples over the years, and I was wondering - is using these samples in the spirit of this month's, or was the idea to have "Live" playing alongside the tracked music? or is that up to us to decide?

2. regarding VST Effects in Psycle.... It has been stated that using the following types of plugins:
Sampler, Compressor/Limiter, DC Offset, Delay, Distortion, Equalizer, Filter, Flanger, Gate, Reverb, Phaser

are allowed, so long as the plugin is included in the ZIP file. I'm interested in using the JCM900.dll plugin from Simulanalog Guitar Suite. It's an Amp simulator/modeler for a Marshall amp, which includes Distortion(Overdrive) and reverb. Would this be allowed, or disqualified?
FingerSoup
Newb
Newb

Postby shadowbane » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:17 am

yes, on question one. I am actually doing that (though not with a guitar) this round. I am also doing the live play thing. Both are allowed.

I have no idea on the second question, leaving that up to sonicade
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am

I was actually thinking the answer to question 1 would be "no", and 2 would be "yes"....

Need a call from Sonicade!!!

P.S... I had no idea this was a personally recorded instruments round! I would have played some "bucket drums" for sure, but alas, I already tracked a beat.

This should be an interesting round though
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 am

I asked question one a few rounds back and was told that I could do either one note samples or live playing, but I couldn't have the entire song be a sample of me playing live, something had to be tracked.

And then I ended up running out of time and not entering anyway...
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:38 pm

I vaguely remember that discussion. My bad!

Still leaves question 2 open though ..
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:47 pm

yeah, I wanted to record an improv on my piano because I wasn't a fan of the samples (all short percussive stuff if I remember)

My instinct for question 2 would be that it is allright, but a safer bet would be use a seperate overdrive and reverb modules
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby Sonicade » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Hey guys,

1. Yes, single note or live playing, both are encouraged. We want some tracking in there too and not a big ogg file as an entry.

2. This is a tricky one. Amp modeler seems beyond the scope of the standard Renoise plugins which we limit everyone to. However, when recording live playing or vocals you can use all the effects you want on the recording.

For this round let's say NO on using the plugin within the track. But YES on using it during the recording.

From one standpoint it's cool to learn about new plugins which we might not otherwise have heard of. It's more of a hassle to play the track but we probably wouldn't try to unless we were interested in it anyway. Since we're not assembling votepacks anymore maybe we can revise the plugins rules.

On the other hand we do want everyone to be more or less on the same page which is why we have the plugin limitations. Maybe it would be better to have special round rules similar to vocals or live playing with something like any plugins round or something.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Sonicade wrote:Maybe it would be better to have special round rules similar to vocals or live playing with something like any plugins round or something.

That sounds pretty sweet. I still think Renoisers should be allowed to use external compressors
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:07 pm

honestly, I don't think external plugins are really needed. The only thing I can think of that would be of that much use for psycle would be an external sampler that supports MP3 or ogg...
Psycle includes multiple of all of the FX that can be used. (except of DC offset, we don't have one of those) External stuff really isn't needed (unless you need DC offset)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 pm

shadowbane wrote:honestly, I don't think external plugins are really needed. The only thing I can think of that would be of that much use for psycle would be an external sampler that supports MP3 or ogg...
Psycle includes multiple of all of the FX that can be used. (except of DC offset, we don't have one of those) External stuff really isn't needed (unless you need DC offset)

Considering that Renoise can be thought of as a sampler that supports ogg and flac, I don't have any objection to the notion.

It's funny, not to be a yes-man, but most of my vocal and guitar bits are recorded in phrases at a time and often single notes are triggered alone to match the phrase into tempo or eliminate noise. I often use the odd effect on voice or guitar (like vocoder or tube preamp) but it ends up being part of the sample.

Speaking of that, I got my hands on some new toys. I hope I get to show them off but my friends are still in semi-crisis, so I'm hopnig this doesn't become Unfinished 2... we'll see.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby FingerSoup » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Ok, I will swap out the JCM900 for some psycle Native distortion and some reverb and filters. It was just nice having it all in one place, with simplified controls.
FingerSoup
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:34 pm

FingerSoup wrote:Ok, I will swap out the JCM900 for some psycle Native distortion and some reverb and filters. It was just nice having it all in one place, with simplified controls.

It's a tough call, we'll do an any plugins round soon!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby FingerSoup » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Sonicade wrote:It's a tough call, we'll do an any plugins round soon!

If it wasn't a tough call, I wouldn't have asked :)
FingerSoup
Newb
Newb

Return to Compo Talk