General Discussion Forum.

Round 47 discussion

Round 47 discussion

Postby organic io » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am

Impressed by what I have heard of the entries so far. I'm really enjoying listening to them.

A bit of backstory behind my track for anyone who is interested:

I was able to submit against all odds! Usually I push pretty close to the deadline, but last night was the craziest hurry I've ever had. I encountered lots of problems along the way, but somehow I was still able to submit. Here's what happened:

I had already written most of the song during the previous 2 weeks. Last night I got started about 9:30PM EST, to write some of the parts near the end, and to tweak some of the mixing/panning, etc. I had been writing the song on my laptop, but I decided to hook it up to a bigger monitor since I was sitting at my desk. I had been tracking for about an hour and a half. Everything was going well, until I hear "squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak".... Impulse Tracker had locked up. I gave it a couple of minutes and tried bashing some keys, but nothing worked. I had lost about 30-45 minutes of progress. It hadn't crashed during the previous 2 weeks, and the only thing that was different was outputting to the monitor so I thought maybe that was causing some issues, so I disconnected it, and rebooted. Tracked some more and recovered some of my progress. Then, while I was inputting some really high notes near the end, "squeak-squeak-squeak". It locked up while I was trying to do the same thing! Apparently I found a bug in Impulse Tracker that makes it lock up. I was in octave 8, trying to play a note higher than the "P" key, and I went over to {, which set the global volume to 127... Unfortunately when I set it back to 128, at some point it locked up.
Anyway..
Reboot.
Redo progress again. Sweating a little because I am not sure if I will have enough time to transfer/submit.
Only a couple of minutes of progress, and then locked up again.
Reboot again.
Save frequently from this point on!!!
Carefully enter notes near the end, making sure I don't hit the { key.
Finished up the song around 11:45. Since I can't get networking to work on the laptop, and it has no USB (Hey, it's a Pentium 100), I am using a null modem cable to transfer files between it and the desktop. So I booted into Windows XP on the desktop to transfer files. The speed of this thing is roughly equivalent to a 14.4 modem. I figured it would take about 20 minutes to transfer the 2.5 MB Rar file. Pushing it close, but not too bad. Everything was going well, until suddenly the video on the desktop just went jumbled.. It had locked up too. I checked around back, and sure enough, the network cable had come unplugged. Apparently my computer doesn't like it when you are using the serial port and do something with the network adapter at the same time.

So running out of time. Not sure if I'll have time to reboot XP and start the transfer again, I get desparate and decide to use floppy disks.. Except my desktop doesn't have a floppy drive. So I made a RAR set of the IT file. Didn't have very many spare floppy disks around, so I took my old copy of "Hocus Pocus" by Apogee software (great game btw) and formatted it, attempted to copy the first file to it, but it failed... Problems with the disk! So I asked my gf if I could borrow a disk of hers that has some writing on it (back up her files first)... Fortunately that disk worked... But then I realized that her laptop doesn't have a floppy either. So I had to run upstairs as fast as I could, to copy the file to her desktop... Then back downstairs to copy the second RAR file... Then back upstairs. Copy it to a USB stick, run back downstairs. Reboot desktop to Linux. Copy file to desktop. Fortunately it worked! Then, I ran Modplug player through Wine to render the WAV, encoded it with Audacity and I was just about to upload, when I went to www.sdcompo.com, and....

Voting period ends in 6 days 23 hours and.... no submission button! ??? What!? It was only about 12:30, and the deadline was supposed to be at 1:00 AM. I know I checked it earlier and I had enough time...

I figured there must be some kind of bug on SDcompo because of the recent Daylight savings time change. So I decided to take a risk and use my admin privileges to push the deadline back 1 hour so I could still submit. I emailed Sonicade & told him if he thought this was unfair, he was welcome to disqualify me.

Fortunately, I was able to submit, and Sonicade said everything was cool.

Unfortunately I still encountered a few more quirks, including listening to the mp3 and realizing that Modplug messed up one of the effects and it didn't sound as good as in Impulse. So I downloaded schism tracker quickly, fortunately the Linux version ran just fine, and I was able to render an authentic copy, upload, and then...

Sleep.

:D

Sorry, that was long winded... But it was an interesting adventure. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:29 pm

wow what a story! +10 points for juggling all that, and staying true to the old tech :)
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 pm

^^ ha ha ha

Could've been absolutely me. Reading this felt like a deja vu.
In germany we say: "immer auf den letzten drücker"

A few years ago I created an Amiga transfer disk with ZModem protokoll to archive my old Amiga disks into ADF images. Problem about Amiga Disks: PC Floppy controller isn't able to read them due to technical limitations. You really need an Amiga, zero-modem cable and a terminal program with ZModem protocol. I had read errors, and a lot of probs you mentioned above.

Happy geekness :-)
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby tenfour » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm

amigas can read/write PC disks - this is how i archived all of my amiga stuff. wow what a headache those few days were :) cheers
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:33 pm

tenfour wrote:amigas can read/write PC disks - this is how i archived all of my amiga stuff. wow what a headache those few days were :) cheers

I remember - your right :-D !! That's how I built that bloody transfer disk.
Last edited by Airmann on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Amiga DEMO DVD

Postby Airmann » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 pm

BTW: I created a nice Video DVD with Amiga Demos from 1988 which I haven't released yet, because my Website is still under construction.
You can watch that Video on any DVD Player + TV (not LCD please) and it feels like the good ol times.

Maybe that's a hint that I shall finish that !
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Compo Talk