General Discussion Forum.

Would you partcipate in the chiptune compo?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 11

Unofficial chiptune compo planning thread

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Preliminary Rules:

1) Write an original song of any style for a sound chip (C64, NES, Gameboy, Adlib, etc) using a tracker program. (Tracker = note column, effects column, etc)

2) The platform you track it on does not matter (Windows, Linux, original hardware, emulator). Popular chip trackers are Goattracker (Cross-platform C64/SID tracker), Famitracker (Windows NES/NSF tracker), ***(open to more suggestions of popular trackers here)*** All of the trackers listed under cross-platform on Wikipedia would be accepted. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_au ... m_trackers)

3) If you know of another tracker not mentioned or listed, just run it by me and we'll allow it as long as it fits two criteria: 1) It is a tracker and 2) It either outputs a file that is compatible with chip hardware (SID/NSF/etc), or can actually be played back on the hardware or in an emulator (Cybertracker/LSDJ/etc)

4) No filesize/time limitations.

5) No samples of any kind allowed. Chip synthesis only. Even if you know some way to hack samples into your format, this would be disqualified.

6) Submitting guidelines: You will need to upload a rendered mp3 of your submission and either 1) Your source file only (if your tracker does not output to a chip file format (Cybertracker/LSDJ, etc) or 2) Your source file AND the chip file if you are using a tracker that allows exportation (Goattracker/ Nerd tracker etc) *** (Feedback needed! Is it too much to ask for both the source file and the chip file? Would just the source be better and chip is optional?)

7) You will have to use your own webspace. You will PM the following information to me:
{Artist}
{Title}
{Chip Format}
{Tracker used}/{Platform you tracked on}
{mp3 link}
{Source file link}/{Chip file link if applicable}

For example:

organic io
"a chip off the old block"
C64/SID
Cybertracker/C64 emulator
http://organiciosite.com/organic_io_-_chipblock.mp3
http://organiciosite.com/chipblock.zip

8.) Tracking will last 1 week. After the deadline, I will make a forum post with all the links (the "link votepack"). Voting will last about 3 or 4 days. You will vote for your top 3 (Probably top 3) by submitting a PM to me via the forums.

9) Votes will be tallied, and tasty prizes will be awarded!
Last edited by organic io on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Also, I realize that this type of compo offers the opportunity for you to cheat by getting a 3 week head start on the competition. Please be honorable. If you write anything practice/test tunes during the next weeks, please don't continue them into the compo period. We want to start fresh when tracking officially begins.

Honor system! :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 pm

So we'll turn in three files if possible? (source, code, and audio)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 am

chunter wrote:So we'll turn in three files if possible? (source, code, and audio)

Indeed.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby paulnewns » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Errr, this may seem stupid but what do you need to download to get famitracker working in Win XP? And has anyone got any tips for Goattracker?
:)
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby tenfour » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 pm

i am totally new to chip composing... from what i can tell though it's a lot different, technically, from "normal" synthesizers. it's a hybrid of programming and operating a synthesizer.

I found a tutorial for goattracker here: http://truechiptilldeath.com/2009/07/go ... -released/

this, plus the readme.txt that's included with goattracker seems to cover everything.

it would be nice if there were some SID trackers that operated at a higher level - for example making the wave table editor more intuitive than a bunch of manually-calculated hex numbers. But maybe it's not practical because of the quirks of the chip design and the inter-dependency of instruments (for example how ring mod is based on the previous channel).

i believe this will be a learning experience for more than a couple of us :)
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm

chunter wrote:Ironically, BOTB are running a Renoise contest.

:-D made me really laugh !

@everything else

Looking forward to this ! Will be fun ... yummy prices ?
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 pm

After checking out Goattracker TBH I'm a bit scared !

I mean, I've multiple Assembler experience, programmed all kind of shit in the past till nowadays, but all I can see is numbers and hexcodes. WTF That's worse than kernel hacking.

Don't know if I can manage to hack into this thingy in just one Week

At least the thing has a highpass filter for lowcutting ^^
Last edited by Airmann on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby tenfour » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm

famitracker worked for me right out of the box... i downloaded it from http://famitracker.shoodot.net/downloads.php

Airmann: famitracker, to me, is far more intuitive than goattracker. less quirks and hex numbers to worry about.
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby Airmann » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for the link :)

Ahh that GUI looks reakky nicer, but sound is different of course.
I never had an NES

Mhhh ... we'll see
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:23 pm

paulnewns wrote:Errr, this may seem stupid but what do you need to download to get famitracker working in Win XP? And has anyone got any tips for Goattracker?
:)

Found a little tutorial for Goattracker earlier today:

http://supersole.net/blog/post/99-learn ... nstruments

tenfour wrote:it would be nice if there were some SID trackers that operated at a higher level - for example making the wave table editor more intuitive than a bunch of manually-calculated hex numbers. But maybe it's not practical because of the quirks of the chip design and the inter-dependency of instruments (for example how ring mod is based on the previous channel).

i believe this will be a learning experience for more than a couple of us :)

I believe I have settled on Cybertracker for exactly this reason.

This is the instrument editor:

According to the manual

Cybertracker Manual wrote:Apart from being a tracker, another big difference between the old C64 editors and this one, is that you don't make your instruments by writing some wierd numbers (that even most musicans that i've talked to don't know what means), but you make instruments with graphical envelopes, so you can actually see what you're doing.

It also has "- More than one (up to 255) pattern-effect on a pattern-line (worlds first!!)" ... Pretty impressive!

It's for C64 only, but I plan on running it in an emulator. Vice runs well on my PSP and should run fine on the Pentium 100. It also turns out there actually is a program to generate a SID file out of it too. Bring it on :D

Airmann wrote:At least the thing has a highpass filter for lowcutting ^^

I'm excited to mess with the filtering. I'm really impressed with the fact that it was around in 1982... I guess because we had an IBM PC in the Mid 80's --> early 90's and it only had PC speaker. :)

Famitracker looks nice too, very modern. I'll add it as the recommended NES tracker in the rules
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 am

i believe i over-estimated my ability to understand all this in the time I can allocate. it's very possible that i won't be able to submit a chiptune :/
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 pm

If you've never tracked pure chips before, I don't recommend learning on GoatTracker. Anything in this list except the ones under "Modules" should be eligible:

http://battleofthebits.org/lyceum/View/ ... s#TRACKERS

Reiterating, if you've never programmed a chip before, start on something simpler, like NES or Sega Master System. Yes, there are less timbres available, but there is also less to learn and less to mess up.

It's okay to practice "arranging" with draw-tool samples and three tracks on Renoise or any other familiar tracker, that's how the #mod_shrine people got me into NES programming. (We had an OHC with NES samples, and had a "Five columns only, two must be squares... just like the limits of a NES.) Afterward, the only learning curve is how to commit your idea to the new tracker.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Airmann » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks Chunter for the list. I'll check it out.

If I can find nothing else I'll take this one:

http://www.hypersynth.com/hypersid.html

^^
Airmann
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 pm

chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

PreviousNext

Return to Compo Talk