General Discussion Forum.

Round 48 - Discussion & Help

Round 48 - Discussion & Help

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 pm

I am trying a chip style tune to sort of warm-up for the upcoming chip compo... However, I have encountered a problem. In order to get my arps to sound less noisy and more musical, I slowed the song tempo down (P.S., I am using Impulse Tracker again this round) ... But now, when I am trying to do note slides, they sound all choppy because of the low tempo. I guess it is a trade off that can't be avoided. I tried changing the tick resolution but it doesn't do any good, just changes how fast the pattern scrolls.

I may just have to render the arp chords out and then raise the tempo back up ....

Not sure yet, unless anybody has an alternate idea. Thanks :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:21 am

try slowing down the note slides (0508 instead of 0510 for example), or maybe try messing with lines per beat.
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 am

tenfour wrote:try slowing down the note slides (0508 instead of 0510 for example), or maybe try messing with lines per beat.

Tried both already... I actually wanted slower note slides (around G20 (hex) (G is portamento to note in impulse) ... However, you can actually hear the stepping in anything lower than around GC5 (too fast already). When I said tick resolution, I was referring to lines per beat.

This probably wouldn't happen in Renoise... But Impulse tracker during lunch on the laptop is all I have time for right now :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby tenfour » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 am

oops i didn't see you were using IT... no idea about that. i wonder if schism tracker has the same behavior though?
tenfour
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:58 am

Also forgot to mention that I even tried changing the slides to "Amiga" mode instead of "Linear".... It didn't help, all it did was make the relative values lower, but you could still hear the stepping.

I'll probably just render the arp chords and mention why in the song notes
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Compo Talk