General Discussion Forum.

Round 61 genre discussion

Round 61 genre discussion

Postby organic io » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 am

09/06 12:26PM Sonicade: For the upcoming round how about the opposite, samplepack 1 genre round?
»09/06 07:14PM Sonicade: Open to genre suggestions. Something not so obscure so people would get turned off. I can look for some samples that fit the genre. Sample contributions welcome too!
»09/07 11:09AM CAG: chiptune? :P
»09/07 11:26AM chunter: there is a "basic waves" plugin that I forget the name of, I'll look it up when I'm home- perhaps make that the "pack" (with some drum samples and maybe a hit or two?)
»09/10 11:58PM Sonicade: How about a pick a genre round? Pick from 3 or 4 genres and track a song to model that genre? Say rock, dance, reggae, hiphop for example. What genres would you guys wanna give a try?
»09/11 06:28PM chunter: Actually, I'm not sure what genres to pick, but if we're to pick from 4 or more they should be particularly focused ones (I'd rather have one general one)

OK, so Sonicade has suggested: rock, dance, reggae, hiphop ... Those sound fine with me. I'd also like to add "Punk" to that list :twisted:
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Also Sonicade, is there any way you could consider adding Sunvox modules to the accepted formats? It's a relatively new cross-platform tracker that has been gaining steam the past couple of years. I'm hoping to try it out soon :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:27 pm

The genera I have been wanting to try out is EBM. Think I will have to do that on a normal round though because there is probably no way we are picking something electronic for a themed round..

Also, when dance was suggested what was meant? Modern club stuff? Tango? Swing? (Tango and Swing would be fun to play with..)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm

I don't see the problem picking something electronic for a themed round. If we don't, it may deter a lot of people.

As far as "dance", my interpretation of this is that it can be a very broad style... Anywhere from house, techno, eurodance, modern club stuff, etc.

Can we hope to hear an entry from you this round? :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Ahhh that's the problem with these genre rounds, everyone wants to do their own unique genre and nobody want's to be boxed in. Remember back in the day Groovyone made this awesome oriental soundpack and suggested the Asian genre, hardly any entries!

Re Sunvox modules, I'll add any format to the compo that more than a couple people will regularly enter with.

The genres I mentioned were kind of just examples. Dance is broad like you described Organic.

Alright how about 3 genres. Industrial (nine inch nails, cabaret voltaire, etc), Rock (punk, bon jovi, metallica, etc), and instrumental (piano, acoustic guitar, etc even synth, just without drum track/percussion). That should be enough variety to give electronic or otherwise inclined peoples room for inspiration.

I'll look for samples that fit those genres to make up the samplepack. Should we leave the round open to other samples because of the genre restrictions? Send in samples that fit any of the genres, I'll include them in the pack.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 am

Sonicade wrote:Re Sunvox modules, I'll add any format to the compo that more than a couple people will regularly enter with.

I don't know if "more than a couple" people will enter with it :) But probably me and ambtax1 at least. He and I are getting identical old-technology machines:

There has only been a handful of Psycle and Buzz entries over the years. And has there ever been a MT2 entry? Sunvox for the please please pretty please? :) Plus it would allow us to advertise the compo in more areas. This tracker is on ipad/iphone so there is potentially a large audience for it.

Sonicade wrote: Should we leave the round open to other samples because of the genre restrictions?

It might be good... That way if people can't find what they want in the samplepack, they can craft what they are trying to do with alternate samples.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that psycle is the 2nd most common format here in recent times. Don't think I have seen anyone submit a buzz module though..

As for samples, Having 3 genera that are so different would cause a /huge/ sample pack if we are trying to make each equally viable and use only the sample pack samples..
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:15 pm

shadowbane wrote:I'm pretty sure that psycle is the 2nd most common format here in recent times. Don't think I have seen anyone submit a buzz module though..

True, I exaggerated. Directionless used (uses?) Psycle... And didn't you yourself use it at first?

I've seen a few Buzz entries, a decent number of Modplug/IT, and one LittleGPtracker (overthruster), but Renoise dominates by far.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm

at first? :P
There are a couple of other people that I have seen using psycle on here as well (within the last 5 or so rounds I think)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Just checked your round 58. My mistake!!! I was thinking you switched to Renoise at some point. I must be thinking of someone else. I know CAG went from Modplug to Renoise.

I'm bad for not looking at the source files as much as I should :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby stardiaries » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Ahhh that's the problem with these genre rounds, everyone wants to do their own unique genre and nobody want's to be boxed in.

what about this, we gather all genres in a textfile and write a script to randomly choose one (or three?) of them.

here's the/one list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_po ... sic_genres

if it results in too obscure styles (like Louisiana swamp pop!!??) we can vote for throwing the dices once more :)

i can offer my skills to write a php script for that purpose and put it online on a server of mine.

cu,
star diaries
stardiaries
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

That is a neat genres link Stardiaries!

I think for now we want to keep things simple and focus on getting the round started. Let's go ahead with 3 broad genres for now and leave the round open so if you want to veer off and track something like Louisiana Swamp Pop it's still ok. ;) Suggested genres!

The samplepack will be open too so you can use the included samples or add your own to fit your genre of preference.

Speaking of PHP, I'm in the processing of planning a rebuild of sdcompo ontop of wordpress. Stardiaries if you would be interested working on some of the code you'd very welcome. Cralias has also offered to pitch in. More details on that as soon as possible while I job hunt and work on my coding. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:20 pm

By Louisiana Swamp Pop do they mean Zydeco?

I like the three broad genres idea too, in part because it tests idea while hopefully not leaving too many people out.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 pm

chunter wrote:By Louisiana Swamp Pop do they mean Zydeco?

I like the three broad genres idea too, in part because it tests idea while hopefully not leaving too many people out.

Zydeco! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyquLu5B_LI
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby CAG » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:18 am

I would like to share some samples, but I've been swamped with work and... life hehehe.

In the interest of getting the round started, I'll record and put them out a bit later if anybody wants recordings of violin/mandolin/guitar. Unfortunately my mike is not the best, but hopefully it'd work out.
CAG
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Compo Talk