General Discussion Forum.

Round 62 rules

Round 62 rules

Postby plusminus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello, I've just been getting into making music again recently for the first time in awhile. Good to see that sdcompo is still running!

I had some questions about the rules for this round:

This round accepts vocal samples!
This round accepts personally recorded samples!

5. Personally recorded samples, vocal samples, and samples from the samplepack only.
Personally recorded samples are performances recorded by yourself. One-shot personal recordings are not allowed, only performances.

This means no self-made samplepack-type samples right? I guess renoise supports MP3 samples so it's probably meant to allow people to perform on an instrument as an accompanying track, or something similar.

Same for the vocal samples? I'm probably not allowed to record a 0.5 second clip of me saying "pow!" into a mic and using that as a sample? (Just an example; I don't actually want to do this.)

What about sample modifications? The old rules allowed basically limitless editing as long as it was all done within the tracker. Is this still valid? I don't see anything about sample editing in the rules.

Thanks!

Haha I forgot I had that profile picture!
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby chunter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:13 pm

All of that is correct to the best of my understanding.

There was one track that got a little bit of controversy regarding scat-drumming.

The spirit of the rules is that the tracker of choice ought to be the most important "instrument,' and that supplementing the pack with singing and guitar playing etc is okay as long as you are not trying to avoid using the pack. I consider these rules deliberately grey and are self-regulated by our votes.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Really great to see you back, plusminus. "With Bloodshot eyes" is still a favorite of mine.

chunter is correct with his answer.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Haha wow, I'm flattered! :oops:

Thanks for the replies.
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby Lethargik » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:48 pm

new to this compo but hoping to get into it!

would it be cheating to use my lovely VSTs and then render it down to a sample? Like compressing snares etc...

guessing it probably is :oops:
Lethargik
Newb
Newb

Postby shadowbane » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:18 pm

I would say the "pow" sample could be fine depending on use.

As for VSTs, if you play them with a midi keyboard and are recording a decent chunk it is fine, single notes, however, are not.
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Return to Compo Talk