General Discussion Forum.

SDCompo Site Refresh Project

Postby chunter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:14 pm

In an emergency we could render the source files and archive that, though there will always be questions of artists' intent and that sort of thing.

I consider the major point of especially long lasting compos like this, is that sometime in the future, somebody will find this site and explore all the music here, whether we're still making that music or not.

I thought about SoundCloud integration a little bit more, because many of us share our songs (from here!) there and like being able to put comments on a point in time in the song. But then I remembered, I've occasionally done some rounds here: http://compo.jhsounds.com/

...which uses the SolidComposer site that gives built in voting and SoundCloud-like music playing, downloading, and commenting, and a chat window so you can talk about all the songs as they play. Trouble is, the comments never go beyond "great job" because for all the detail the SoundCloud style commenting allows, nobody ever uses them, and during the listening sessions, users often complain that the chat lags, times out, or goes out of sync. The site has a tendency to crash browsers.

Still, worth checking to borrow ideas that can work for us.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby plusminus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:00 pm

An idea that has come to mind, as I'm browsing old entries, is that it would be nice to include the module/tracker type somewhere on the compo results/entries pages. Especially if there are plans to encourage more formats. (SunVox seems to be getting talked about a lot, lately.)

Another idea that comes to mind, as I'm browsing the forums, is that you really don't need so many subforums, given the amount of activity here. It certainly isn't dead, but I see several forums with a last post date in 2010...

EDIT: BTW trying to post this gave me a page full of SQL error messages, although it seems the post went through. Maybe ghosts?

EDIT EDIT: I think for re-rendering entries, the best idea would be to send out a mass email informing past SDCompo participants that tracks are going to be updated, and whoever is in charge will do the best they can to get a proper rendering, but artists are welcome and encouraged to submit their own MP3s.

I guess making a single host for MP3s (loopproject or other) mandatory would be a requirement too. And on that note, I'm going to go update MP3s for my old entries that are 404ing right now...
Singing is a trick to get people to listen to music for longer than they would ordinarily. -- David Byrne

+- is 68k
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:49 pm

plusminus wrote:EDIT: BTW trying to post this gave me a page full of SQL error messages, although it seems the post went through. Maybe ghosts?

I have been getting the same error message for a month or two now as well... Unfortunately it is not something I have access to fix. I'll contact Sonicade but I'm not sure how long it may be before it will be resolved, since it's not a critical error. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Must be ghosts then.

organic io wrote:First is to change the rules to allow all tracker formats, regardless of whether there are very many users of some of the more obscure software. This change will probably go into effect within the next few rounds.

Any developments/new thoughts on this? Some comments on my last entry got me thinking about ways to accommodate other tracker formats. Mostly just thinking out loud here:

As far as I could tell, there hasn't been another legacy tracker entry in about a year (KungFuFurby's entry in SDC 51). Also during that time there have been a few Psycle entries, mainly from Shadowbane, and the rest look like Renoise. This suggests that either people using other formats feel excluded, or that the only people interested are mainly using Renoise, but I don't know which.

Have there even been any Buzz entries since Buzz 2008 was released? I know at one point there was talk of a standardized buzz machines pack for SDC but I don't see that anything ever came from it.

I can think of a lot of rule changes etc. that would make things easier for me using a classic tracker, but since I had the only .it entry in a while, it feels presumptuous to go throwing around suggestions. But if I can help with the larger picture of opening things up to any tracker format, I might be more inclined. Obviously there's not going to be a way to get everything equal to working in Renoise but there's a lot that could be done with standardized plugins, different rules about sample editing, etc.

Also I assume you're going to aim for general rules that could apply to any tracker, rather than trying to hunt down each and every obscure tracker and making compatible rulesets for them. Or perhaps some combination of the two?

EDIT: If you feel it's appropriate, respond in a new thread... I don't want to derail this one too much.
Singing is a trick to get people to listen to music for longer than they would ordinarily. -- David Byrne

+- is 68k
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 am

chunter wrote:I consider the major point of especially long lasting compos like this, is that sometime in the future, somebody will find this site and explore all the music here, whether we're still making that music or not.

I think that's pretty cool too... Perhaps hundreds of years from now? :)

chunter wrote:But then I remembered, I've occasionally done some rounds here: http://compo.jhsounds.com/

...which uses the SolidComposer site that gives built in voting and SoundCloud-like music playing, downloading, and commenting, and a chat window so you can talk about all the songs as they play. Trouble is, the comments never go beyond "great job" because for all the detail the SoundCloud style commenting allows, nobody ever uses them, and during the listening sessions, users often complain that the chat lags, times out, or goes out of sync. The site has a tendency to crash browsers.

Still, worth checking to borrow ideas that can work for us.

I took a look at that, pretty cool actually. The only thing is those are in realtime, correct? Is it possible to run a longer compo on solidcomposer? For example a few weeks? It may be useful to use this for the sub-compos!

plusminus wrote:An idea that has come to mind, as I'm browsing old entries, is that it would be nice to include the module/tracker type somewhere on the compo results/entries pages. Especially if there are plans to encourage more formats. (SunVox seems to be getting talked about a lot, lately.)

Yes, this is something I had been wanting to implement soon!

plusminus wrote:EDIT EDIT: I think for re-rendering entries, the best idea would be to send out a mass email informing past SDCompo participants that tracks are going to be updated, and whoever is in charge will do the best they can to get a proper rendering, but artists are welcome and encouraged to submit their own MP3s.

Great idea. I think I'll do it this way after I've contacted the internet archive about setting us up.

plusminus wrote:I guess making a single host for MP3s (loopproject or other) mandatory would be a requirement too.

I don't think that's necessary. I think some people like using their own hosting, and that's fine. Once we get all past rounds archived, then it will be as simple as me uploading each month's entries to the internet archive at the conclusion of every round.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:36 am

plusminus wrote:As far as I could tell, there hasn't been another legacy tracker entry in about a year (KungFuFurby's entry in SDC 51). Also during that time there have been a few Psycle entries, mainly from Shadowbane, and the rest look like Renoise. This suggests that either people using other formats feel excluded, or that the only people interested are mainly using Renoise, but I don't know which.

I've actually done a couple IT entries in the past few years. Most recently round 53 --> http://www.sdcompo.com/entry.php?e=679

The compo has always been Renoise-centric, but I think the promotion in other communities will help to encourage more other types of entries.

plusminus wrote:Have there even been any Buzz entries since Buzz 2008 was released? I know at one point there was talk of a standardized buzz machines pack for SDC but I don't see that anything ever came from it.

I'm not really sure if there have been any buzz entries lately.

Airmann mentioned something to me recently along these lines however -- About our policy regarding Renoise's new LUA scripts. I noticed one of them is even a synthesizer plugin.

One idea is to allow this plugin as well as Buzz's internal generators (and Sunvox) which puts them on a similar playing field as far as internal synthesis goes. <--- I'm not sure how I feel yet about this being allowed every round. Perhaps alternating rounds between internal synthesis being allowed and sample rounds?

Another thing I do plan on implementing is a standard set of vst effects plugins that are allowed -- Most likely Stardust compressor, and some free reverb/delay and mastering plugins.

plusminus wrote:I can think of a lot of rule changes etc. that would make things easier for me using a classic tracker, but since I had the only .it entry in a while, it feels presumptuous to go throwing around suggestions. But if I can help with the larger picture of opening things up to any tracker format, I might be more inclined. Obviously there's not going to be a way to get everything equal to working in Renoise but there's a lot that could be done with standardized plugins, different rules about sample editing, etc.

No no, I don't think it's presumptuous at all. I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help. Your ideas are very much in line with where I think we should take this thing :)

BTW, What kind of rules about sample editing are you suggesting? I'm thinking you mean something like using external programs to do effects processing on the samples before you import into schism or other programs that don't have internal effects. Right? I'm definitely open to the suggestion. I think this is something that would benefit from being voted on. Soon I'll run some polls and include this question. Although I think it seems reasonable to allow the same kind of processing externally as the standard internal plugins in Renoise. What do you think?

plusminus wrote:EDIT: If you feel it's appropriate, respond in a new thread... I don't want to derail this one too much.

I think this thread is fine... Combination site redesign and rules/changes discussion. Because ultimately any changes in rules will need to be implemented on the site redesign.

Keep the discussion coming! :D
-Scott
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:59 pm

organic io wrote:
plusminus wrote:An idea that has come to mind, as I'm browsing old entries, is that it would be nice to include the module/tracker type somewhere on the compo results/entries pages.

Yes, this is something I had been wanting to implement soon!

Ah, great minds ;). Genre would be a nice thing too, though I don't know whether picking from a list or typing whatever you want is a better approach. The former makes searching easier but people could feel constrained sometimes.

organic io wrote:
plusminus wrote:I guess making a single host for MP3s (loopproject or other) mandatory would be a requirement too.

I don't think that's necessary. I think some people like using their own hosting, and that's fine. Once we get all past rounds archived, then it will be as simple as me uploading each month's entries to the internet archive at the conclusion of every round.

OK, well, mandatory archiving then. I guess that's a bit different.

organic io wrote:
plusminus wrote:As far as I could tell, there hasn't been another legacy tracker entry in about a year.

I've actually done a couple IT entries in the past few years. Most recently round 53 --> http://www.sdcompo.com/entry.php?e=679

Oh cool. I liked that track a lot :). But, unless I missed others, that's still a year...

organic io wrote:The compo has always been Renoise-centric, but I think the promotion in other communities will help to encourage more other types of entries.

Indeed and I think it's fair that, sometimes, other formats don't quite get all the same advantages. Especially older trackers; I know what I'm in for. But users of other more modern trackers shouldn't feel like second-class citizens, either. And it's not like my "normal" workflow outside of compos is constrained entirely to an oldschool tracker.

organic io wrote:I'm not really sure if there have been any buzz entries lately.

I don't know how up you are on Buzz news/history (I'm no expert myself), but it wasn't really developed for a while because the main dev lost the source. There were lot of community-made hacks and things to try to extend the functionality. Official Buzz development restarted in 2008, and so a lot of those hacks got obsoleted... I think.

Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone had entered with a version from 2008+ and what kind of setup/ruleset they used...

There were also a large number of Buzz clones that got developed during that development hiatus. In fact I think Psycle started out that way? I just found one for Linux called Neil that I'm actually liking so far. Be a while before I'm able to do anything competent with it, however.

organic io wrote:Airmann mentioned something to me recently along these lines however -- About our policy regarding Renoise's new LUA scripts. I noticed one of them is even a synthesizer plugin.

One idea is to allow this plugin as well as Buzz's internal generators (and Sunvox) which puts them on a similar playing field as far as internal synthesis goes. <--- I'm not sure how I feel yet about this being allowed every round. Perhaps alternating rounds between internal synthesis being allowed and sample rounds?

Oh wow that's pretty cool. What/where is that policy about LUA? I didn't find it on the rules page or in the forums...

To me internal synthesis is a whole other ballgame, and I think even allowing it on alternate rounds is a lot. It depends on whether you're more interested in having the focus of SDCompo be sample-based or Renoise-inclusive I guess. Personally I would treat it like the VST rounds, in that they do happen sometimes, but a bit infrequently.

Allowing rounds with internal generators is sure to bring the Buzz users out of the woodwork though :) I'd like it too, Schism Tracker can do Adlib-style FM synthesis, get that ugly 90s video game sound going :)

organic io wrote:Another thing I do plan on implementing is a standard set of vst effects plugins that are allowed -- Most likely Stardust compressor, and some free reverb/delay and mastering plugins.

I think that's a great idea, and offer them to Renoise users as well as anyone else. Even better would be if you could get cross-platform plugins, or at least reasonable approximations for Mac and Linux. (I noticed you started using Linux sometime since I last hung around here?) Having different plugins might introduce some discrepancies in terms of glitch abuse, but it's probably just me who'd be likely to try that anyhow, and I'll try to be good ;)

organic io wrote:I don't think it's presumptuous at all. I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help. Your ideas are very much in line with where I think we should take this thing :)

That's nice to hear. I just meant I didn't want to take the attitude of "here's what rules I need and deserved to have changed, regardless of how long I'm going to be around here and who else will benefit." Well I think I'm better at diplomacy than that, anyhow.

organic io wrote:BTW, What kind of rules about sample editing are you suggesting? I'm thinking you mean something like using external programs to do effects processing on the samples before you import into schism or other programs that don't have internal effects. Right?

Something like that. Chunter suggested that external edits might be a good way for older trackers to make up for not having plugins or DSP built-ins. I was pretty apprehensive to that idea at first, just because I didn't know what might be an appropriate line to draw. However I think if edits were limited to the same types of things offered in a standardized plugin pack (or maybe even restricted to using those plugins in a non-realtime editor), it might work. External editing would still have to be done in good faith against abuse; if I'm using a reverb plugin on a sample, the end result should sound more or less like a reverbed sample and not a terribly distorted resonant tone, etc. I'm fine with (and generally prefer) soft rules like this, but I know they can lead to problems at times.
Last edited by plusminus on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

+- is 68k
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby plusminus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 am

Oh, one other random thing I thought about just now:

On the profiles page it would be nice to sort users by the number of entries submitted, or even just segregate the users who have never entered anything from those that have. A lot of profiles have been registered that never ended up participating.

+- is 68k
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby cralias » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:39 am

plusminus wrote:Genre would be a nice thing too, though I don't know whether picking from a list or typing whatever you want is a better approach.

Tagging (as suggested by tenfour) would include genres and we will be able to extend it to tracker formats and other things that can help sorting.

plusminus wrote:On the profiles page it would be nice to sort users by the number of entries submitted, or even just segregate the users who have never entered anything from those that have.

Noted, thanks! :)
cralias
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 am

cralias wrote:
plusminus wrote:Genre would be a nice thing too, though I don't know whether picking from a list or typing whatever you want is a better approach.

Tagging (as suggested by tenfour) would include genres and we will be able to extend it to tracker formats and other things that can help sorting.

I'm not sure tagging would be the optimal solution for the genre... The genre tag could easily be omitted or difficult to distinguish from the other tags. I think a separate box would be better -- perhaps with a dropbox and a way to type what you want.

plusminus wrote:Oh cool. I liked that track a lot :). But, unless I missed others, that's still a year...

Thanks man, I think you're the only person who likes it :)

plusminus wrote:Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone had entered with a version from 2008+ and what kind of setup/ruleset they used...

There were also a large number of Buzz clones that got developed during that development hiatus.

It's a minority for sure, a community that could be reached out to! I've never actually used Buzz very much personally (opened it a few times back in the day and made a frowney face), but it appears that Sunvox is pretty similar to Buzz with its modular approach, without being a direct clone.

plusminus wrote:Oh wow that's pretty cool. What/where is that policy about LUA? I didn't find it on the rules page or in the forums...

That's the whole point... We don't have a policy on LUA yet! I need to get peoples' opinions and write something up.

plusminus wrote:To me internal synthesis is a whole other ballgame, and I think even allowing it on alternate rounds is a lot. It depends on whether you're more interested in having the focus of SDCompo be sample-based or Renoise-inclusive I guess. Personally I would treat it like the VST rounds, in that they do happen sometimes, but a bit infrequently.

I pretty much feel the same way. Although if the "sub compos" idea takes off, there could be one for internal synthesis.

plusminus wrote:I think that's a great idea, and offer them to Renoise users as well as anyone else. Even better would be if you could get cross-platform plugins, or at least reasonable approximations for Mac and Linux. (I noticed you started using Linux sometime since I last hung around here?) Having different plugins might introduce some discrepancies in terms of glitch abuse, but it's probably just me who'd be likely to try that anyhow, and I'll try to be good ;)

Cross platform is a great idea. I wonder if there are any decent standard-type plugins that are free and work across all platforms? Research will need to be done.

And yes, I converted to Linux almost 3 years ago... I got fed up with the constant malware on Windows. Now that I'm into it though, I would never go back... The low latency is amazing, JACK is great for audio, and most Windows stuff works through Wine.

plusminus wrote:Something like that. Chunter suggested that external edits might be a good way for older trackers to make up for not having plugins or DSP built-ins. I was pretty apprehensive to that idea at first, just because I didn't know what might be an appropriate line to draw. However I think if edits were limited to the same types of things offered in a standardized plugin pack (or maybe even restricted to using those plugins in a non-realtime editor), it might work. External editing would still have to be done in good faith against abuse; if I'm using a reverb plugin on a sample, the end result should sound more or less like a reverbed sample and not a terribly distorted resonant tone, etc. I'm fine with (and generally prefer) soft rules like this, but I know they can lead to problems at times.

I think most users here are mature enough to not break the rules in this way. There have only been a few malicious violations over the years -- Primarily Crossfire's multiple submissions under different names.

I think using external edits will be fine. Perhaps requiring the user to make a list of what edits they did on each sample? Or is this too restrictive and will kill creativity?
Honestly I don't think it matters either way... Anyone using a legacy tracker is still at a disadvantage, so even if they cheated and used the most expensive commercial plugins, they still wouldn't have the flexibility afforded by realtime manipulation of those parameters... So any advantage gained by cheating would really be moot... Especially because anyone doing things like that is probably inexperienced anyway and it's not like they would be competing for 1st place.
And like I said, most users here are honorable, and I think anyone cheating will most likely be noticed and called out pretty quickly by the honest ones.

plusminus wrote:On the profiles page it would be nice to sort users by the number of entries submitted, or even just segregate the users who have never entered anything from those that have.

Great idea!

+-, I'm gonna go check out your stuff on Soundcloud soon :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby plusminus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:09 am

organic io wrote:I'm not sure tagging would be the optimal solution for the genre... The genre tag could easily be omitted or difficult to distinguish from the other tags. I think a separate box would be better -- perhaps with a dropbox and a way to type what you want.

Agreed. And now that I think about it, there's probably enough of an archive that it should be easy to determine what kinds of genres will be needed in a "pick one" list.

organic io wrote:It's a minority for sure, a community that could be reached out to! I've never actually used Buzz very much personally (opened it a few times back in the day and made a frowney face), but it appears that Sunvox is pretty similar to Buzz with its modular approach, without being a direct clone.

That was my reaction too! And then when I tried it later I made that face just at the installer. Download this, and then these other things, and then run this hacked patch, and then don't use these devices... SunVox, as well as some of the Buzz clones, seem to favour an internal list of machines, which is more to my tastes even if it's "limiting" for some people.

organic io wrote:
plusminus wrote:To me internal synthesis is a whole other ballgame, and I think even allowing it on alternate rounds is a lot. It depends on whether you're more interested in having the focus of SDCompo be sample-based or Renoise-inclusive I guess. Personally I would treat it like the VST rounds, in that they do happen sometimes, but a bit infrequently.

I pretty much feel the same way. Although if the "sub compos" idea takes off, there could be one for internal synthesis.

Well sure, I thought the idea for sub compos is that it's OK to have rules that were uncommon / more difficult / less inclusive. Also a good way to make trial runs for alternate rules for the main compo; you can see what works and what doesn't.

organic io wrote:Cross platform is a great idea. I wonder if there are any decent standard-type plugins that are free and work across all platforms? Research will need to be done.

I know some VSTs can/have be compiled to work on Linux, and some devs make Mac AU plugin equivalents for their VSTs. I have yet to come across one that works on all three though, although I can't say I've made it a priority to look. But surely there are some reasonable equivalents; I can't imagine that there are no high quality compressors or reverbs for any platform, even if the Windows-based ones are a little better.

organic io wrote:And yes, I converted to Linux almost 3 years ago... I got fed up with the constant malware on Windows. Now that I'm into it though, I would never go back... The low latency is amazing, JACK is great for audio, and most Windows stuff works through Wine.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. Audio in Linux can be one of the more difficult things to get working effectively, sometimes. I'm kind of unhappy about the direction a lot of Linux development is taking lately, but I still prefer it to anything else.

organic io wrote:I think using external edits will be fine. Perhaps requiring the user to make a list of what edits they did on each sample? Or is this too restrictive and will kill creativity?

Can't speak for everyone but I would be fine with keeping track of, and notating, external edits, since mostly they would be pretty basic things: reverb, EQ, compression, etc. Tracker based edits would be a little harder for me, the way I work at least, since at the most extreme I'll do a lot of series of filters and pattern-to-disk writing. It's more of a process than just apply some effect and save.

I think as long as there's sympathy towards the fact that people might forget sometimes, it could be doable.

On the other hand...

organic io wrote:Honestly I don't think it matters either way... Anyone using a legacy tracker is still at a disadvantage, so even if they cheated and used the most expensive commercial plugins, they still wouldn't have the flexibility afforded by realtime manipulation of those parameters... So any advantage gained by cheating would really be moot... Especially because anyone doing things like that is probably inexperienced anyway and it's not like they would be competing for 1st place.
And like I said, most users here are honorable, and I think anyone cheating will most likely be noticed and called out pretty quickly by the honest ones.

I agree that it's mostly inexperienced people likely to cheat. My general thoughts about cheating, especially for low-stakes competitions like this, is that rigorous enforcement of rules is really not worth the effort. Most users will be honest; those that aren't won't be discouraged, they'll just have to try a little harder to not get caught. And anyone that really feels clever or needs the ego boost from cheating earns more pity than scorn from me, honestly.

This in part explains my aversion to having prizes; you need to be a lot more rigid in setting and enforcing rules, because the incentive for cheaters is higher.

organic io wrote:+-, I'm gonna go check out your stuff on Soundcloud soon :)

Thanks so much for all the positive comments and enthusiasm! It made my day. I really like a lot of what you have up there too, and I think your IT compositions have been underappreciated. Though I'm quite picky when it comes to vocal-driven music, and so the vocal based tracks you have posted aren't really my cup of tea. But the other half are great.

I post some things to Soundcloud sometimes but I don't really "use" it socially in the way a lot of people do. Perhaps I should start to change that.

+- is 68k
plusminus
Regular
Regular

Postby steve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 am

Is the site redesign being worked on or was it abandoned? There are a couple of quite small changes which I think would add a lot of value. Wouldn't this look better?

Updating broken mp3 links would also be really nice. It's really disappointing when this happens, and it has been getting worse recently. Is loopproject still not working? Couldn't we just submit the mp3 to the site like we do the tracker file? Is there an issue with space? Rendering from source for old broken links won't always be feasible for obscure trackers with XYZ plug-ins.

The term "too many cooks" comes to mind, but I'd be willing to help out too.
steve
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 pm

steve wrote:Is the site redesign being worked on or was it abandoned? There are a couple of quite small changes which I think would add a lot of value. Wouldn't this look better?

I haven't heard from Cralias in a few months. I've sent him an email to check in on the status. I'll keep you updated.

I agree that the scores next to the entries looks very nice. I've always dreamed of something like that too. I don't have access to the PHP so I'm not able to make any changes on the current site. I'll contact Sonicade and see if something like this would be feasible.

steve wrote:Updating broken mp3 links would also be really nice. It's really disappointing when this happens, and it has been getting worse recently. Is loopproject still not working? Couldn't we just submit the mp3 to the site like we do the tracker file? Is there an issue with space? Rendering from source for old broken links won't always be feasible for obscure trackers with XYZ plug-ins.

The term "too many cooks" comes to mind, but I'd be willing to help out too.

I agree we need to have a long term solution for mp3 links. I think it was discussed earlier in this thread, the possibility of uploading them to the internet archive.
I personally haven't been able to upload to loopproject in a while, although I noticed a few entries this round were hosted on it, so it works at least for some people. Mick Rippon takes care of that site, and I know he had a baby recently so is busy and not as able to address these issues as he once was. I sent him an email a while back and he said he'd look into it.. But it looks like it's still having the same problems. I'll try again and see if we can get the loopproject kinks worked out.

Re: hosting on SDcompo itself, that's a good idea. Honestly I'm not sure how much space is available. Sonicade still pays for the web hosting and is the only one with access to the PHP. I'll check with him and see how feasible it would be to host all the mp3s directly on the site.

Regardless of whether we are able to do that, I had been wanting to get all the mp3s up on the internet archive for a while, so that's still a goal of mine.

I'll keep you updated soon :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: SDCompo Site Refresh Project

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:42 pm

I just had an idea... What about SDcompo interviews? I.e. every once in a while, someone is interviewed such as the winner of a round, or someone who has contributed lots of songs? It could be posted as a news item on the main page.

What do you guys think?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: SDCompo Site Refresh Project

Postby plusminus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I always like hearing what people have to say about their music making process, and generally people are all right with talking about themselves for a bit.

+- is 68k
plusminus
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Compo Talk