General Discussion Forum.

SDCompo Round 81 discussion

SDCompo Round 81 discussion

Postby organic io » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 am

This thread is so I can stop spamming the 1 liners right now :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Re: SDCompo Round 81 discussion

Postby organic io » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:23 am

organic io wrote:This thread is so I can stop spamming the 1 liners right now :)

Eh I deleted most of my random 1 liners. Mostly it was random crap about how I entered at the last minute, and excited to see Directionless online and entered this round!
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks for your enthusiasm. :) I hope I can participate more often. I just think it is so great that so many have maintained active, even if off and on. I had to go on a little life journey since last timeof doing this. Make some lifestyle changes and whatnot. I'm excited for everyone's big Renoise 3 celebration round!
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 am

Directionless wrote:Thanks for your enthusiasm. :) I hope I can participate more often. I just think it is so great that so many have maintained active, even if off and on. I had to go on a little life journey since last timeof doing this. Make some lifestyle changes and whatnot. I'm excited for everyone's big Renoise 3 celebration round!

Life journeys are a good thing. Without them, nobody would ever get anywhere. Really glad to see you back man
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am

Here's a fun little DJ mix I did today... A continuous mix of all the songs from Round 81:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzdt-l1mY0e_SWxQaEN5cW9CTHc/edit?usp=sharing

I experimented with more fluid ways to transition between songs by dynamically changing the playback rate, rather than relying on a set BPM for the entire mix. It came out OK although there are a few glitches here and there when my cut/pasting wasn't quite right and I didn't have time to fool with fixing it.

But it's good practice. Top secret info: I might be making an SDCompo 8 year mix :) It won't be as big of a deal as the 5 year anniversary, but I thought it might be fun to do a yearly or bi-yearly mix to highlight some of the great tracks. Of course Keith303's round 81 track was inspiration to do a mix at all. Seriously Klaus. I have more to say but not enough time right now, will reply to the discussion in your song soon.

Peace & enjoy the mix!
-Scott
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 pm

It was cool to hear them all together.. can't speak to what it is you are doing here as I've no knowledge of this stuff.

I would do something crazy like match BPMs to keith and airmann's tracks and run them together separate left-right channels.

or paste-mix their beats together in center channel and run chunter's jrpg soundtrack over the top of it.

or run all the songs at once in different parametric eqs.

yeah, you can see why they don't let me dj at the club.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks for the feedback man :)

Directionless wrote:or run all the songs at once in different parametric eqs.

:shock:

Directionless wrote:yeah, you can see why they don't let me dj at the club.

Lol. It sounds like it would be cool, if a bit noisy for the average listener.

The challenge with these songs was the speed variations. The mean average was around 143 beats per minute, with two songs being significantly faster (Airmann and Carbonthief), and one song being slower (D-less).

So what I did was speed Airmann's 167 track up to meet Carbonthief at 200bpm, and then speed Carbonthief up at the end to around 220 to be exactly twice the speed of D-less's 110. From there on out it was easy to mix the rest of the tracks around their more usual 120-140 range. It took a little forethought, I said these 4 tracks (ballacr, organic io, chunter, keith303) are all close to the same range, I'll make them last. If I can just get the first 3 to work somehow then it'll be good.

Anyway :) I also like to put a really good song for the end. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Compo Talk