General Discussion Forum.

Upcoming Round 89 discussion

Re: Upcoming Round 89 discussion

Postby Directionless » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:38 pm

Directionless wrote:
Din wrote:Is there any way the 10MB file size limit could be stretched a little. Working with lots of ambient stereo samples several seconds long each instead of plugins is brutal on the file size. I've managed to shave things down to just over 10MB (something like 600kB over), but if I have to shoehorn Oggs into to XRNS to go down any more I probably won't bother. And I'm not quite done with my pattern tweaking, either, so the size is going to creep upwards a little more by the time I'm through.

Maybe I should look into Lua programming so I can code a 'compo compressor' tool to automate as much of that weight-loss as possible... How about an option to disable sample up-convert at save time, like a compact archive option.

Hey Din. I could be wrong (the site seems down right now so I can't double-check) but I think the source file limit is 20mb. It better be or else Aged an I are screwed. I know what you're saying, we could cut the file size down and trim these samples more but since we are using them as a work-around to the nonfunctional VST, it is nice to try to go for as much of the instrument's bandwidth and variation as possible.

OK got to the file submission page... it says:

4. Select File or URL to submit your entry file (20 MB Maximum Compressed Filesize)

So I think you're good. :)
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:50 am

Directionless wrote:OK got to the file submission page... it says:

4. Select File or URL to submit your entry file (20 MB Maximum Compressed Filesize)

So I think you're good. :)

Oh wow.... I didn't even realize it said that on the submission page. It must have said that the last few years ever since I've been administering the regular rounds, regardless of what arbitrary filesize I set in the rules. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, I never check to see if the files meet the filesize ... Just hoping people will use the honor system.

But yea, for this round with all the problems we've been having... I have no problem with 20mb entries
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby stefano2015 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:26 am

Good tips, thanks:)
stefano2015
Newb
Newb

Previous

Return to Compo Talk