Topics not related to SDCompo.

changing your music writing alias ?

changing your music writing alias ?

Postby organic io » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 pm

so, lately i have been thinking of changing my alias for a few reasons:

* it's too short (really i just wanted it to be "i/o", and had to add the dj to make it a little longer)

* slashes don't do well in a computer oriented world with filenames and stuff

* last night i found a link on youtube to some other guy named dj i.o (with a dot instead of a slash), and i think there's some other person called djio (no space)

i don't want to get confused with those people. especially dj i.o, he plays shitty hardcore techno

i've already changed it several times though, from "plikt" (1997-2000) to "i/o organic industrialism", shortened to i/o because i didn't want people to think i played industrial music, and then tacked on the dj to make it long enough for forums and such

guess i'll change again soon, to something a little bit longer, more individual, but still retaining the "io" portion so it is somewhat recognizable. and hopefully i'll stick with this one for the longrun :)

i'm thinking "organic io" .. hmmm

anybody else have experience with changing your alias? what are the pros and cons

Sagosen/The Khin is a weird example, he goes by both, which I have no trouble keeping track of now that i know him, but it might be confusing for some
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aGIANTpupafish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 pm

err. well i started off as aGIANTpupafish and now i nearly always call myself aGp.

It's only a lil change, but I find people give aGp more respect :P
Also, capital in the middle of words are cool
aGIANTpupafish
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:44 pm

i just like to call you pupa, hope that doesn't bother you :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby aGIANTpupafish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:14 pm

of course not. i like pupa too :wink:

i guess i call u i/o, io or dj i/o :)
aGIANTpupafish
Regular
Regular

Re: changing your music writing alias ?

Postby Directionless » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:24 pm

the only problem with alias changes is that it muddies up your historical timeline. for example, people don't know what shitty old MOD files in the archive are mine because i used different aliases, neither of which are my current one.

i'm with you tho... i tend to be the type to change aliases often. It was a hard decision for me to go with directionless, but partly, why i was able to choose that, as it embraces my own ambiguity towards labels and genres.

I think prince had the right idea in legally changing his name to a symbol. :D

maybe you could change your handle to FU/FME? hahaha
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:56 pm

Hey I know the feeling. I've changed my 'alias' / 'nickname' / 'handle' / whatever quite a few times and each time it's a tough decision. Even Sonicade is kind of hazy because theres no real meaning behind it, I picked it because I liked how it sounded.

Directionless has a point about it muddling up your artistic timeline but there are things you can do like just explain on your website / where your hosting your music that from 1998 to 2001 I went by the name "Dream Neoprene Supreme.. Taco". :D

On the upside its kind of refreshing to change up your name and sometimes you take your music in a new direction or it just feels new and fresh to release material under a new name. A lot of artists both amateur and professional change names many times and even go by different names for different projects so it's not an uncommon thing to do. If people like your music, they will listen to it no matter what your artist name(s) is/are. :)

Organic IO is sounds cool, you could use OIO or 010 for short.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:04 am

what if this was my alias now haha: http://www.xanga.com/Elder_Dietzel
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:07 am

Sonicade wrote: from 1998 to 2001 I went by the name "Dream Neoprene Supreme.. Taco". :D

Wow! the first time i read this, i thought you were saying that your alias WAS "Dream Neoprene Supreme.. Taco" ... HAHA
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:08 am

Directionless wrote:what if this was my alias now haha: http://www.xanga.com/Elder_Dietzel

i just wouldn't talk to you anymore :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:25 am

Sonicade wrote: from 1998 to 2001 I went by the name "Dream Neoprene Supreme.. Taco". :D

Wow! the first time i read this, i thought you were saying that your alias WAS "Dream Neoprene Supreme.. Taco" ... HAHA

Haha yeah that would be somethin else. :lol:
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:14 am

Sonicade wrote:Directionless has a point about it muddling up your artistic timeline but there are things you can do like just explain on your website / where your hosting your music that from 1998 to 2001 I went by the name "Dream Neoprene Supreme.. Taco". :D

Hmmm... nice. now to find some of your worst and post it. :D

Here's some of my proof that i'm somewhat oldschool (but not too good hehe):

Super_C MOD by Mr. Steele This one's on Nectarine radio too. I made this by recording the level soundtrack from my NES to cassette tape, and then listening to the track on walkman and tracking the tune by ear that way.

----

Link's Awakening MOD by John Dietzel This is the only one I released under my real name because I was too n00b to even know I should be cool and use a handle. I was also so lame, I included my family home address and phone number in the sample text hahah... you know, maybe so someone could contact me and tell me how awesome I was lol!

A fun fact, I sampled the sword sound from my NES deck using, i believe, whatever the Future Crew's DOS WAV editor was, can't remember the name.

----

These tracks are older than their archive date. Had to be sometime before May of '95 (Link's Awakening is probably more like early-mid 90's) cuz 95's when I shipped out to Nebraska for my Mormon mission to serve Jesus, lord of America.

BTW, I just remembered that right before leaving, I upgraded my 386's RAM from 4mb to 8mb!!! the extra 4mbs of ram only cost $200!!! :O
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:30 pm

aha yes! i remember when RAM was that expensive. and hard drives were $2 per megabyte. $500 for a 250 meg drive

can't listen to these since i'm at work and don't have a modplayer installed, but i'm hyped to hear when i get home
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 am

oh yess, it feels so good to be in my new name!!! thanks Sonicade! i owe you :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby sagosen » Sun May 18, 2008 1:03 pm

A change of nicknames isn't a bad idea if you feel you have left the old one behind, I guess. My nickname-thingey isn't really that hard, as my real name is Kristian Sagosen. And since I've changed music aliases more often than others change their pants, it feels.

I've called myself Stardust, Solareclipse, Music Machine, Khuniij, The Kaare Ahmed Ali Olsen Experience..

the whole "the khin" thing just came naturally and stuck.

But then again, I haven't made music in about a year or so, who knows, if I suddenly re-emerge with a completely new style I'd perhaps have to change my nick again. To "Ethanol Surprise" or something. :P
sagosen
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Sun May 18, 2008 9:25 pm

sagosen wrote:But then again, I haven't made music in about a year or so, who knows, if I suddenly re-emerge with a completely new style I'd perhaps have to change my nick again. To "Ethanol Surprise" or something. :P

:( Yeah, you have been pretty quiet lately.

Please come back with some more crazy good flow. Can I challenge you to another non standard time signature tune? Perhaps some 5/4 or 7/8. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Next

Return to Off-topic