Topics not related to SDCompo.

Classic PC games thread

Classic PC games thread

Postby organic io » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Didn't realize so many fellow sdcompoers also enjoyed Descent. I figured it was more of an underground classic. Although I guess it makes sense, Tracking is underground too, and so were BBS'es, all kind of mixed up in the early-mid 90's. Good times
I used to play Descent on Kali all the time! I still dust off the joystick about once a year. Still the most perfect game of all time IMO. :D I think they ruined the formula some with part 2 and especially 3.

Interestingly enough, it appears that work has officially started back up on Descent 4 by Interplay.... after something like 8 years of the project being dead

http://www.descent4.org/
Last edited by organic io on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:13 pm

For archive purposes ...

»06/26 04:09PM directionless: I'm all about Doom. I even played the WAD map made by one of the Columbine kids. It was ridiculous.

»06/26 04:08PM Shadowbane: and descent 2 = amazing game with the most amazing soundtrack ever

»06/26 04:07PM Shadowbane: descent=I wish they would just hurry up and release the 4th one

»06/26 04:05PM Sonicade: Descent = classic

»06/26 04:01PM organic_io: it sure is d-less. we liked hexen better though. my old hexen buddy is coming to town this weekend, but we are going to play descent instead :) [X]

»06/26 03:50PM directionless: cute flags. heretic is a fun game, you can play it on the doomsday engine: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Speaking of doomsday engine, mouselook was all well and good, but my friend and I used to always get motion sick when we tried playing Hexen with it. We could last about an hour and then we'd be to the point of almost vomitting. But we're fine with any other 3d games. Anybody else have this trouble? :(

Also D-less, that's cool about columbine. Was it a map of the school? I used to always want to make doom maps of my schoo, but I never got around to it :?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:22 pm

organic io wrote:Speaking of doomsday engine, mouselook was all well and good, but my friend and I used to always get motion sick when we tried playing Hexen with it. We could last about an hour and then we'd be to the point of almost vomitting. But we're fine with any other 3d games. Anybody else have this trouble? :(

They great thing about those games on that updated engine is how fast they go and how fucked up you can get by being locked in that perception. :D
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 pm

organic io wrote:Also D-less, that's cool about columbine. Was it a map of the school? I used to always want to make doom maps of my schoo, but I never got around to it :?

No, not a map of the school. I don't know if i would have had the stomach to even play that. It was just a shitty UAC Labs map he made.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm

organic io wrote:Speaking of doomsday engine, mouselook was all well and good, but my friend and I used to always get motion sick when we tried playing Hexen with it. We could last about an hour and then we'd be to the point of almost vomitting. But we're fine with any other 3d games. Anybody else have this trouble? :(

A couple years back a friend and I decided to fire up a multiplayer Quake 2 game for nostalgia. I got queezy after 15mins, everything is fukn gray! I think you get sick because everything looks plain and you get disoriented.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby shadowbane » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm

lol, on the topic of being disoriented, one of my friends sucks at FPS games and literally runs around looking at the floor or ceiling the entire time. talk about easy kills, it almost ruins the fun :)
shadowbane
Regular
Regular

Postby organic io » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Sonicade wrote:A couple years back a friend and I decided to fire up a multiplayer Quake 2 game for nostalgia. I got queezy after 15mins, everything is fukn gray! I think you get sick because everything looks plain and you get disoriented.

I'm not sure, I think it has to do with the rendering engine. I remember when Quake 1 first came out with the openGL patch and we all tried it on our voodoo 3 cards, it made my entire LAN party crew sick (4 people), but we were fine playing it in software mode.

Also Descent is plain and I've been playing with the d3d patch for almost 10 years and it's never given me a headache ...

My theory on the issue with Hexen is that the enemies/statues/items etc are not 3d polygons, but 2d sprites instead. They're always facing the camera. So the 3d world is moving around you, but the enemies are staying static, it probably plays tricks on your brain, possibly worse at higher resolutions? I don't know, that's all I've got. Anyway, it's a total barf-fest, I think I'd rather play the software rendered version with a keyboard at this point :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 pm

shadowbane wrote:lol, on the topic of being disoriented, one of my friends sucks at FPS games and literally runs around looking at the floor or ceiling the entire time. talk about easy kills, it almost ruins the fun :)

Yeah it always sucks when playing against people of vastly different skills, whether they are worse or better. The best matches are inevitably against people who are around your skill level, and you push each other to tight competition. My favourite is playing games with someone just slightly better than me, it still feels competitive, but I also have something to learn from them as well. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Off-topic