Topics not related to SDCompo.

Chunter's life story (AKA a cheap and unpunished rapture)

Chunter's life story (AKA a cheap and unpunished rapture)

Postby organic io » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Come on man, you know you want to...

»08/07 12:44PM ambtax1: "If I were to begin life again, I would devote it to music. It is the only cheap and unpunished rapture upon earth"- like this :)
»08/07 12:59PM organic_io: I like that, Paul. It's feeling pretty profound :) [X]
»08/07 03:29PM chunter: I wish I could agree with that statement completely but the one-liners aren't a great place to tell one's life story
»08/07 03:30PM chunter: (That having been said, this is my favorite way to make music now.)

Really, I don't expect you to tell your life story but this thread is to provoke more conversation regarding this profound statement.

Me personally, I might grow tired of it if my entire life was dedicated to it. I'm not really sure yet. I look at bands that have been touring for 20 or 30 years and still playing the same style of music, and I don't think I could ever do that.

That being said, my music creating will be constantly evolving hopefully into my old age and always be an integral part of me, just not necessarily the prime focus. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Well, I've always alluded to remaining in professional music although I've "officially" stopped; while competing in sdcompo I've been helping my friend with his "Stereolover" project: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=343245486

I started piano lessons when I was about 7 or 8. When I was a teenager I got sick of how quickly PC's of the late 80's and early 90's became obsolete and was given the computer that I learned to sequence on. Between that and the band and music projects I did in high school, I decided to lean towards staying in music while my brother went into computer tech.

My grandmother paid for the half of music college tuition that they wouldn't let me borrow, and long story made short, twelve years after leaving college and my loans defaulting, I've only a month ago gotten them out of default.

When I was out of college I was out of money and credit, and had no instruments besides the synth and sequencer from high school, no amplifiers, no reliable way to record, no place to perform, and to top it off, I started to develop a tendinitis. All-in-all, it was bad planning on my part, and I don't regret going to music college.

So, returning to the "cheap and unpunished" thought... Music could have been cheap and unpunishing for me had it been on my mind to keep it that way. I'm very thankful for the tracker scene, because without it I'd probably be an unbearably bitter person right now, and honestly, I am very careful with whom I share my music nowadays, not because I am ashamed of it, but because I'm very tired of the first response from people being that I have to use my talent to become incredibly famous and rich.

It doesn't help that there are times when it physically hurts to play.

Keep in mind, I'm not upset right now, just explaining my statement.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:44 am

"That being said, my music creating will be constantly evolving hopefully into my old age and always be an integral part of me, just not necessarily the prime focus"
Totally agree with this statement Scott. Strange though how nothing I have ever done in my life still manages to excite my brain like music can. I can only describe it as an ever burning ember in my head that will get fanned by the air of creativity and burst into flames.
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby paulnewns » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 am

Chunter, keep posting with everybody on sdcompo. Be honest with praise and any criticism and you will gain a lot. I know I have. I don't think I would have had even a tenth of my output the past year otherwise. Nor would I have enjoyed it so much.
:)
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:22 pm

It's great to hear that SDCompo helps improve creative output. That was definitely one of the reasons for starting it. Not only for myself but as a community it drives everyone to write more and share. :)

Don't hold back on constructive criticism and of course a little praise. The criticism is how we can improve and that's why SDCompo is here, so we can all share our music and improve our composing skills! :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:31 pm

In songwriting classes/circles we had a rule that you must praise one thing before you can criticize, just to make sure we don't all-out attack all comers... and to keep from scaring new entries away.

My story seems a bit depressing and winded to look back upon, so I thought I might re-emphasize that had I made better decisions and reacted better to advice I was given, I probably would have found the tracker scene in the 90's and been much happier ;) If I had not presupposed earning a living from music, it would not have become so expensive for me.

This especially occurred to me while listening to the new Ratatat, as most of the regulars here in sdcompo make work that sounds about as good as them; they are label-signed and critically acclaimed. I think now that it is better to make sure many people can hear your music and that it be good music from your own point of view.

Thank you all for your comments, they mean a lot to me, and it is good to notice each other improving even if some of us may have different goals with our music than others.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:23 pm

paulnewns wrote:I don't think I would have had even a tenth of my output the past year otherwise. Nor would I have enjoyed it so much.
:)

:D Yeah I have no idea what kind of music I would have made in the past 2 years if it weren't for the compo, but it surely wouldn't be as much. I crave deadlines. In 2005 I promised myself I would write 1 song a month, and I failed pretty fast at that. But SDcompo helped me reach that goal better, for the first 9 rounds at least :)

So strange, because the DAY of the round 1 deadline, I was thinking to myself, "I wish there was a regular compo online, it would probably encourage me to write music more". And then I found Sonicade's post about the compo on the ctg forums... threw together a song in 2 hours and was able to participate from the start. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:24 pm

I think the oddity of it all is that although I now say "I decided I want to make music mostly for myself and for fun" it is much easier to complete a task when you know you absolutely must hand something to someone by a certain moment.

In college, almost everything I handed in was in the 11th hour, and I should've taken that as a hint as to how I should work. I missed out on watching a partial solar eclipse because I had to get something handed in by a particular time of day... running through the streets wondering why the hell everyone is looking at the sky, and why it got so dark...
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 pm

chunter wrote:running through the streets wondering why the hell everyone is looking at the sky, and why it got so dark...

:lol:
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:57 am

paulnewns wrote:"That being said, my music creating will be constantly evolving hopefully into my old age and always be an integral part of me, just not necessarily the prime focus"
Totally agree with this statement Scott. Strange though how nothing I have ever done in my life still manages to excite my brain like music can. I can only describe it as an ever burning ember in my head that will get fanned by the air of creativity and burst into flames.

Word to that guys. I love music, but like most all things, find the passion decreases a lot the more specifically focused I am. Employment-wise, i've been known as more of a jack of many trades... and my music progression seems to reflect that ethic; where i'm leveling slowly but in multiple areas with a general interest in overall competency rather than specific greatness.

Life is awesome. And if there's one thing I learned from my father (a life long hobby musician), it's that some passions are best served cold. Meaning some of us just weren't hardwired for turning this passion into a life-overtaking-career. I'm generally against the idea of careers altogether, and tend to job hopp and serve in functions that best serve individual humanity rather than commercial interest.

Part of existence for some of us seems to be in playing a contrast to the establishment ism of modern society - Guilty as charged... to the point that i find myself working foolishly counter-productive at times. On the other hand, i feel that for every wrong turn that a person takes, a right lesson is learned. One that often leads to an insight lost in the ages, or otherwise lacking among the current masses.

Hobby and alternative music scenes have taught me so much and made me feel so utterly connected (def including SDC!!) that it begs the question: could i even appreciate this anymore on a 'larger' scale? ...given the personal bias/interest and the perceived validity within my own sphere as a relatively accomplished amateur/hobby artist (i.e. loving GF #1 fan - Buddies that do the freestyle productions with me - Local music scene friends..)

I can honestly say that i am relatively happy with my achievements, fully acknowledging how much there is to learn and progress. And that it's OK to work it at my own pace and ambition. :)
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 pm

I love music, but like most all things, find the passion decreases a lot the more specifically focused I am.

So that's why your name is Directionless?

It's a nice thought, one I wish I had years ago. It's funny how timing is; today I was talking to someone at my workplace who just auditioned for American (Pop) Idol... she failed her audition.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Off-topic