Topics not related to SDCompo.

Christmas present thread

Postby organic io » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm

My trackball hasn't come in the mail yet. But I also ordered myself some new stylii for my turntables, so I can record my last set and then sell them (? maybe) to have money for a music laptop :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:40 am

organic io wrote:My trackball hasn't come in the mail yet. But I also ordered myself some new stylii for my turntables, so I can record my last set and then sell them (? maybe) to have money for a music laptop :D

Music laptop very nice! Laptops are getting faster and faster these days, perfect for a mobile DAW! My laptop went kaput on me several months ago, eventually I'll have to get myself mobile again too!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Music laptop very nice! Laptops are getting faster and faster these days, perfect for a mobile DAW!

Just be careful of what you're getting. "Netbooks" like Acer One and ASUS EEE don't have much processing power so I expect while running Renoise on something like that is possible, and boy do those solid state things boot fast, that eventually the processor limitation would get frustrating.

My laptop's main shortcomings are that its memory is low (which I will rectify soon) and that its processor throttles sometimes (which I've learned to disable.) Otherwise, my laptop is about as powerful as my desktop machine is, by numbers... (The desktop PC's hard disk is four times as fast and the CPU is overclocked though...)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:33 pm

... If I even get one, it will probably in the range of 1.6ghz, used , 5 year old laptop. So... If it doesn't run Renoise comfortably, I'll just dick around with milkytracker or whatever. It's fine :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm

1.6ghz should be plenty for samples and a few dsp. Might start running out of juice if you pile on too many VSTs.

http://www.renoise.com/download/requirements/
Renoise says it'll run on anything with SSE. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby keith303 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Sonicade wrote:1.6ghz should be plenty for samples and a few dsp. Might start running out of juice if you pile on too many VSTs.

depends which CPU is clocked at that frequency of 1.6Ghz. ;)
take an intel atom (typical netbook cpu) and a core2duo, for example - both at the same clock frequency.
the core2duo is about 4x as fast as the atom counterpart.

i once had the chance to play around with renoise on a ACER ONE netbook, which featured that 1,6Ghz intel atom.
almost all demosongs stopped due to CPU overload after a few patterns.
i think only 1 managed to play throughout the entire length.

whereas with a core2duo you're gonna be able to do quite a lot of nice stuff, even with a bunch of VST(i).

i always like reommending the Dell XPS laptop series.
imo they're unmatched quality and performance for the price.
and the support of dell is at least here in germany very good.
keith303
Newb
Newb

Postby Sonicade » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 pm

keith303 wrote:
Sonicade wrote:1.6ghz should be plenty for samples and a few dsp. Might start running out of juice if you pile on too many VSTs.

depends which CPU is clocked at that frequency of 1.6Ghz. ;)
take an intel atom (typical netbook cpu) and a core2duo, for example - both at the same clock frequency.
the core2duo is about 4x as fast as the atom counterpart.

i once had the chance to play around with renoise on a ACER ONE netbook, which featured that 1,6Ghz intel atom.
almost all demosongs stopped due to CPU overload after a few patterns.
i think only 1 managed to play throughout the entire length.

whereas with a core2duo you're gonna be able to do quite a lot of nice stuff, even with a bunch of VST(i).

i always like reommending the Dell XPS laptop series.
imo they're unmatched quality and performance for the price.
and the support of dell is at least here in germany very good.

Interesting, I've seen these Intel Atom processors and figured they were optimized for smaller computers. Good to know how they stack up to standard desktop processors. When Organic_IO said 1.6ghz, I assumed it would be a standard desktop or laptop variant and not an uber powersaver like an Intel Atom.

It would be interesting to see Renoise performance charted across different system configurations and operating systems.

Dell XPS laptops would certainly be ideal for Renoise since they're desktop replacement class laptops. Dell support is varied but decent here in the US. For people who don't want to worry I usually recommend Dell for their service packages in case something goes wrong.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Previous

Return to Off-topic