Topics not related to SDCompo.

Eggnog Worship

Postby chunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:25 pm

The next thing we are going to target is the high fructose corn syrup, but we haven't started yet. It's going to be hard to do. That crap is even in bread. BREAD. What the fuck.

It's pretty sad though, people don't get it. Even our parents smirk or groan at us when we ask them to check the ingredients for food they buy for us.

Although it's not gospel, the trick or rule-of-thumb to keeping yourself out of trouble is that partially hydrogenated anything or high-fructose corn syrup should not be among the first three ingredients. If it's hidden in the end it's probably only in trace amount.

The other thing is, like anything, it's okay to have in moderation. The key, though, is that it must be -in moderation-. The problems that come from corn syrup and hydrogenated oils are from your body failing to perceive them properly: a lot of people can eat that stuff forever and not feel full.

I particularly admit that I drink way too many soft drinks, and try to keep that as my proverbial "only vise", besides making music on cheap equipment.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:18 am

We never thought of limiting it if it's only in the top few ingredients. If we see it near the bottom, we still don't buy that product. But I'm sure it's impossible to limit entirely, because you can't get the ingredients for everything you order at every restaurant ....

BTW Sonicade, I saw "sugar cookie" eggnog at the store the other day. I will try it out and give a full report later in the week. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 pm

@Organic IO: Haha whoa that sounds mighty sweet! Bring on the Egg Nog reviews!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 pm

OK, UPDATE!

I have in my hands some Egg Nog that is supposedly some of the finest in Northern California. Strauss Organic Egg Nog.

Rating: 7/10.
It's a very light egg nog in both sweetness and thickness, almost as thin as regular milk. The flavor is decent and it's really easy to drink compared to some of the chemical filled mainstream store brands. Not quite as good as I'd hoped though, I would have liked more thickness and stronger flavor. It gets plus points for being organic and the sweetness is just right.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:32 am

:D You really are the connoiseur... I guess I will have to hit up whole foods and try out some organic brands as well :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:57 pm

Already I'm moving on in my quest to find 'The Egg Nog of the Season.'

Whole Foods has a couple more brands so I may try them. The Strauss Egg Nog is Organically priced at $7 bucks a bottle.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:37 am

Holy F, I don't think this organic io can afford $7 organic eggnog, no matter how good it be, matey :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:44 am

Anyway...

I bring you -- "Hood - Sugar cookie eggnog" ... $3/quart

I would consider this more of a tribute to eggnog, than actual eggnog. Same as Hood's "Pumpkin spice nog".

So, does it actually taste like sugar cookies? The answer is yes..
But a more important question: Are sugar cookies something you actually want to drink? Hmm.... :?

Overall, it's OK, although I think they used too much vanilla in trying to create the cookie flavour. The consistency is just about right, I don't like my eggnog too rich like syrup, but also not too thin like milk.

It's not amazing, and probably not something I would even buy again, because it doesn't have that classic eggnog flavour which brings pouring back memories of good christmases past.

It's certainly better than the crap Harris Teeter brand my mom bought me (2/10) and the mediocre Southern comfort brand (5/10), but can't compare with the best of them.

Overall score: 6/10

:D

P.S... in my picture, doesn't it look like the vitamin C is peeking out from behind the eggnog? lol
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Excellent review! I feel enlightened about Hood - Sugar cookie egg nog! I do like sugar cookies but drinking them would make me go Hmm.... as well. I would definitely try a cup though! Does Southern Comfort make its own brand of egg nog? To sell more cases of Southern Comfort whiskey? That would be interesting to see and can imagine it wouldn't taste all that good.

The vitamin C does look like it's poking it's head out saying

"don't forget that Egg Nog is not very good for you (dairy, sugar) and you need your vitamins like vitamin C!"
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Sonicade wrote:"don't forget that Egg Nog is not very good for you (dairy, sugar) and you need your vitamins like vitamin C!"

:D :D :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Also about Southern comfort, I'm not really sure. Honestly I didn't know they sold whiskey, but I'm not a big liquor drinker. :) But their eggnog pretty much sucks :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

I'm getting close!

Postby Sonicade » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 pm

Very good, 9/10!

Alright, I've got a new specimen. This one is Trader Joe's Premium Egg Nog. And it's good. Pretty damn good. It may be that after all, it takes the gum additives thats make it thick enough for my taste. The flavor is appropriately delicious. If I don't find a better egg nog this season, I think I'll be ok.

But there is room for improvement. Still a chance for that 10/10 score. A stronger more sensational flavor! Possibly an even more pleasing consistency. No sir my search will not end here and will continue well into January. :twisted:

organic io wrote:Also about Southern comfort, I'm not really sure. Honestly I didn't know they sold whiskey, but I'm not a big liquor drinker. :) But their eggnog pretty much sucks :)

I would suspect as much. Southern Comfort is first and foremost a liquor company. It's not a bad idea to market their own egg nog but if it tastes lousy then whats the point! :o I would try it though. :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am

MMM, looks pretty good. Too bad we can't trade some back and forth via mail :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Two new reviews!

Clover Organic Farms Organic Eggnog (left): 8/10
Clear winner between these two. While lacking slightly in the thickness category, the delicious Eggnog flavor is there. The sweetness is pretty strong but the sugar content around the standard 20 grams per half cup.

Organic Valley Organic Eggnog (right): 6/10
This one not so good. It's best quality is the rich thickness. However the Eggnog flavor is (absent*) lacking so it's like drinking thick creme with nutmeg. I won't be buying any more of this one.

*correction

So far Trader Joe's Premium Eggnog is the leading Eggnog of the season! I better go pickup some more of that.
Last edited by Sonicade on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Buddy!!!

I was afraid I might not be able to afford very much more nog this season, and then I was gifted with a $25 grocery store certificate at work today. So I headed out to get some food and a bit of nog.

And what did I find????

The same brand! So now we can compare apples to apples. Incidentally, this is my first taste ever of organic nog. I agree largely with your review, however I wouldn't say it has no eggnog flavour, it's just less prominant than it should be. It hints at it, it just doesn't have the full essence. Thickness is spot on. It's really not bad.

I'm gonna have to give it a 6.5/10

Now if I could just find some of that Trader Joe's.....

But I have at least 2 more purchases before the season is up --- Pet (the best I've ever found), and I'll try to get something exotic from whole foods too, probably with my christmas cash. :)

P.S... The ever-nagging vitamin C gained confidence and decided it wanted to be more prominent... I hope it doesn't take over :D

It seems though that we have largely the same taste in eggnog. I had a question for you Cade -- How do you drink your nog? Do you sip? I don't guzzle, but I don't sip either. I like to take a moderate size mouthful so it covers every part of the inside of my mouth (there's tastebuds hiding on the roof of your mouth!) to get that full flavour :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic