Topics not related to SDCompo.

Eggnog Worship

Postby Sonicade » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Haha awesome dude! We've got a panel review going here!

Absent was a little too strong so I adjusted my review, lacking is more appropriate. I'm gonna have to stand by my 6.0 though, the lack in flavor is such a critical blow to the main component of a successful Eggnog.

You'll definitely have to review this Pet brand for us. I'll keep my eye out for it and pick it up if I see it.

Your drinking 'technique' sounds very similar to mine. I usually sip and savor with sampling size depending on the tastiness level. Even Eggnog tastebud distribution is a must!

Good to see Vitamin C holding his own there. We're gonna need him as we recover from all the holiday treats we're having.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 am

:D You know, I just had the thought.... To the outside observer, I'm sure we seem entirely insane. It's all in good fun though :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:21 pm

This is high science! Eggnog deserves respect! :twisted:

These are good reviews though. By the next year I usually forget which ones I tried so this will make a good reference.

and I'm all out of the stuff.. but after two quart cartons I should probably take a little break. :)
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Found a 'family photo' including the Southern Comfort Eggnog you mentioned.

I have tried the Silk Nog, Organic Valley and Horizon Organic. The Horizon Organic is the best of those 3 as I remember. I'll pick it up if I find it. :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:41 pm

family photo #2!

That Meadow Gold brand is what I used to get in Hawaii. It's damn good but also loaded with sugar and probably chemicals too. It boasts 29g of sugar per half cup compared to the usual (and already high) 20g per half cup.

Theres the Southern Comfort again too, definitely curious to try it. The Viva Light stuff is not bad! Viva and Meadow Gold are only available in Hawaii as far as I know though.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:44 pm

Don't even bother with southern comfort, seriously.

Also I didn't know Horizon made eggnog but we get their milk sometimes, so I will be on the hunt for their nog since you say it's good. :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Alright dude, this is the big one!!!

Yess!!!!!

On the left here we have the Horizon, another brand we have both now tried.

I don't like it. It actually tastes a little bit fruity, almost like Bananas or something which is NOT the right flavour. Consistency is OK but the taste is just wrong wrong wrong.
4/10. I liked the organic valley better

(and FINALLY) on the right, we have PET (also known as Heaven in a carton)!!!
It's so funny, I was worried I wasn't going to be able to have any. So I got paid 1 day early this week and went and got a small quart of it yesterday. Then Cami's parents show up with a half gallon of it!!!! Made me very happy.

Anyway, it's really hard to even describe because of its perfection. Suffice to say the noggety flavor, sweetness, and consistency are all dead on. When you have it in your mouth, it just overwhelms your senses with its flavour in all the right ways. As soon as I have it in my mouth, it brings me back to 1995, Christmas, playing Descent all night. It's just that classic flavour. Very meaningful to me. And I realized after finally tasting this this year, none of the other brands come even close.

I checked the packaging Sonicade, this stuff is made in Tennessee so it may be a regional brand here. But I'm hoping your Trader Joe's is as good as this :)

Rating: 9.5/10. OK I'm going to leave a little bit of room for improvement here just in the case that there is something out there that is better. One prospect is that PET actually has a "premium" eggnog that is about 75 cents more per quart. I suspect that it will just be creamier or sweeter though, which might lessen the experience. I'll try to score some before they stop selling it and let you know.

And now I'm off to have more of the good stuff, and to pour out this Horizon.
:D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Ohh snap, OIO with the big review!

Good to know about the Horizon, I was looking to try it but looks like I'll just pass. I haven't seen that PET brand before but if I do I'll definitely pick it up. Nice job finding a holiday winner there!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:54 am

Sadly.... I present to you, what is quite possibly the last review of the season.

I went to food lion yesterday morning, on a mission to get more PET and also some of the "premium". The main eggnog shelf was empty!!!! All I could find, over near the cheese, was the remaining stock of Hood -- Sugar cookie and pumpkin..

So...

Hood - Pumpkin eggnog
I actually bought two cartons. I froze one, but I was so greedy with the first one I still needed more to review.

Then, I was too impatient while it was thawing, so I ate some of it like ice cream. (not bad, by the way. pumpkin ice cream.. mmmmm)

Basically this is like drinking a pumpin pie. Very tasty in fact. Not very eggnog-ish at all, but that's fine because it's a legitimate drink in and of itself.

8/10. Doesn't come close to PET in terms of christmas spirit, but it holds its own as a yummy halloween-time drink.

And now I am out.

Until next year!!!! This concludes season 1 of Sonicade & organic io's eggnog obsession reviews. Peace out :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:10 pm

What's this!?!?!?!?

In for the off-season review!!!

My local grocery store carries this in the baking aisle all year round.

Well... It's in a can.... so there's the first indication as to the quality.

Consistency is on the thin side. Taste is only very slightly noggety, but also has a bit of that banana flavour, almost similar to the Horizon brand. It has that "canned milk" taste and isn't a very faithful tribute to our favorite drink at all.

Rating: 3.5/10 (2.5 plus 1 bonus point for being available in the summer... hey that's got to count for something)

But ... No worries. It's only about 82 days until pumpkin spice nog will be back on the shelves.. And then, we will start another season of reviews

organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Haha an off-season specimen, nice! I would imagine the quality level is as your review describes but hey cool to see such an early review!

I think if I saw this I would be tempted to pick one up myself just out of curiosity. Thanks for giving us a sneak preview to next seasons offerings! :D :D
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 am

Check on the baking aisle. Maybe you can find it too :)

The most useful thing I've done with it is add it to my breakfast cereal, half eggnog, half milk. Sweetens it up a bit. :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm a bit disappointed, I can't find pumpkin spice nog at my local grocery stores yet. And it's only 3 weeks until Halloween...

:(
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:24 pm

What do you know... First on the pumpkin nog scene this year is my beloved brand Pet. I don't believe they even had a pumpkin nog last year.

Itś very similar to Petś regular eggnog in consistency and flavor. Only a very small hint of pumpkin.

8.5/10. Itś not quite as good as their regular nog, simply because there is something magical about pure eggnog flavor, but this is definitely better than most anything else out there besides regular Pet.

I had to be careful to pace myself too, because this stuff goes down really smoothly :)

Hopefully weĺl see the return of Pet premium sometime after Halloween, which I didn´t get a chance to try last year.

Could it be the ... (wait for it) ... perfect eggnog, or will they have screwed it up by making it too creamy?

Only time will tell. Stay tuned :lol:

Interested to see what you discover, Ćade :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Alright OrganicIO, my first eggnog of the season is here.

I may have had this last year, I'll have to check the archives.

Update: looks like I did get it last year! the rating has gone down since but the review has a little more detail.

Clover Organic Eggnog.

Flavor: 6/10
Not the strongest eggnog flavor but decent and satisfying.

Texture: 7/10
A little on the thin side. I like eggnog to be pretty thick personally.

Sweetness: 8/10
Sweet but not overly sweet.

Overall: 7/10
Points for being organic but overall not the mind altering calibre of eggnog that can be found in other brands.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic