Topics not related to SDCompo.

Eggnog Worship

Postby paulnewns » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:40 pm

You know I love ya really... :D :shock:
I shall have to ponder on whether I want to devour raw egg or not....
Can I put cinnamon in it?
If so i'm sold...
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 pm

I think you're supposed to drink it with cinnamon, and it doesn't taste like a Rocky shake, if that's what you've been thinking. (It's pasteurized.)
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:06 pm

paulnewns wrote:You know I love ya really... :D :shock:
I shall have to ponder on whether I want to devour raw egg or not....
Can I put cinnamon in it?
If so i'm sold...

Ummm.... What Chunter said ... It's not raw at all. It's pretty much just like really thick milk, but really sugary...

It comes like this...

Image (PET is the best brand, btw, by my own years of taste tests) ... Maybe it is different in Britain though?
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Each country / region has it's own dairy brands. The righteous course of action is to sample each dairy's offerings to determine the finest 'source'.

Apparently some people prefer to make their own. I've tried a few times and it's come out alright but the best Egg Nog I've had has always come from the store.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Sonicade wrote:Each country / region has it's own dairy brands. The righteous course of action is to sample each dairy's offerings to determine the finest 'source'.

Of course.... But since he's never tried it at all, we have no way of guaranteeing that the one he triest first will be the worst of the lot, and will turn him off from eggnog forever. Please Paul, I beg of you ... if you don't like it at first, at least try 1 or 2 other brands :D

My mom got me some eggnog this weekend. It made me mad, because I do like to control my own eggnog brand intake. I tried it and it was terrible. I poured it out after she left. I will be picking up the good stuff later this week :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby paulnewns » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:52 pm

http://www.here.org.uk/2006/12/eggnog.html

It seems it is not only I who doesn't know about it.

http://www.americansoda.co.uk/

Here is a UK based website with it.
:)
AMBTAX1 - USING RESNOISE
paulnewns
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:40 pm

That sucks dude.. I tried that Borden eggnog in a can one time, because they still sell it during the summer. It is OK, but not as good as the real thing in a carton :) Also, $20 for a 12 pack of Coke? What the fuck? Y'all getting ripped off.

Buddy, I guess you will have to wait to taste eggnog if you ever take a trip to the US.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Haha ohh man, uggh that Borden stuff looks nasty!

IO is right, you really have to be discerning in your Egg Nog selection. It's not a bad idea to pickup several different brands and sample each.

I just had my first Egg Nog of the season last night, Organic Egg Nog from Trader Joes. I'm gonna give it a 8/10. It's flavor is decent, it's not overly sweet but loses some points for thin consistency.

Lol @ the American Soda website. You can get Coke for 10 or 25 cents a can and they are charging $20+ for a 12 pack. America produces such crap food, seeing those prices is laughable. $20 bucks for a box of Twinkies, hahah.
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Irony: I occasionally pay prices like that to treat myself to similarly mass produced foods from countries besides the US. Why? Because other countries don't use the same preservatives, overuse high fructose corn syrup or fill their products with partially hydrogenated dogcrap. I'm surprised that a website would sell American food as if it is a delicacy.

Some examples, I had a friend who loved to drink Coke from other countries where it is actually made with *gasp* sugar instead of corn syrup for sweetener.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 pm

Ohh definitely. After eating American food, products from countries using real ingredients would be worth paying extra for. If there was a JapaneseSoda.com I'd be all over it. Anytime I go to Japan I totally ravage the vending machines over there. They're beverages are so awesome! :lol:
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:55 pm

I wanted to buy out half the store in the Japan section of Epcot center...

When I lived near Chicago we'd make trips every other month or so to to Mitsuwa Japanese supermarket and stock up on things you just can't get anywhere else...
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:13 pm

chunter wrote: high fructose corn syrup or fill their products with partially hydrogenated dogcrap.

Glad to see someone else here is conscious of those things. Over the past year and a half, my gf & I have worked to cut hydrogenated oil out of our diet. I was reluctant about it at first, but when I went online and did some research, and found out how bad it really is for you (and your heart), then I was all about it. Err on the side of caution... There is so much heart disease and cancer about, you never know what could be causing it in so many people.

The next thing we are going to target is the high fructose corn syrup, but we haven't started yet. It's going to be hard to do. That crap is even in bread. BREAD. What the fuck.

It's pretty sad though, people don't get it. Even our parents smirk or groan at us when we ask them to check the ingredients for food they buy for us.. Or get mad at us when we check something they bought only to find out it does have the oil. Really sucks how caught up everybody is in their own little world and american consumerism.

(warning of oncoming rant ..)

Even at my son's school, we have had to ask them numerous times to stop giving him snacks with hydrogenated oil, but they treat it like it's a joke... However peanuts are not even allowed at the school on the off chance that someone has peanut allergies (even though none of the current students do). Just really sad that they disregard our decision to feed our child healthy food.
But ... We're not going to give in. My wifelike girlfriend has done an amazing job of giving our 4 year old healthy food throughout his life.. And he's doing really well because of it. Other parents watch him eat a plate full of vegetables, and they are envious ... I pretty much feel like -- NO SHIT, sherlock ... Feed him good stuff from day 1, he is going to continue to like it. Feed him crap from the start, and you are going to have trouble getting them to eat healthy later on.

We have a strong suspicion that many many children who are diagnosed as ADHD and have behaviour problems, are actually just a product of all the crap they are fed. If their parents fed them better, they might not have these problems.

One last thing, there is a lady who used to work at my office. She had a baby. She brought the baby in to show everyone at the office when it was about 6 weeks old. She was feeding it PEPSI. A drink that probably shouldn't even be fit for adults to drink (although I do confess to drinking sodas, although I should probably stop). I mean seriously, caffeine to an infant? What the hell?
Anyway, about 9 months later we find out that this baby has brain tumors ...
She's about 3 years old now and they were fortunately able to get rid of the cancer, but still... It makes you wonder.

Sorry for the rant.

One last thing I'd like to say, Sonicade - have you ever heard of the sweetener Stevia? It is a non-sugar, non chemical natural sweetener. Cami started buying it several years ago and it's pretty decent. I read about it and apparently it holds something like 40% market share in the Japanese sweetener market. ...
But here in the US, it is banned as a food additive. (Only can be sold as a "dietary suppliment"), Which I 100% believe is a conspiracy on the part of sugar/high fructose corn syrup farmers ....

Bastards ...
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I have heard of and used Stevia in cooking before. It's very good in oatmeal. I should probably pick some up and stop using the brown sugar I've been using. For kicks I tried some straight from a spoon once since it's supposed to be something like 200 times sweeter than sugar. Needless to say it was sweeeeet.

Hmm it would be great if someone made some Egg Nog with Stevia!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Sonicade wrote:I have heard of and used Stevia in cooking before. It's very good in oatmeal. I should probably pick some up and stop using the brown sugar I've been using. For kicks I tried some straight from a spoon once since it's supposed to be something like 200 times sweeter than sugar. Needless to say it was sweeeeet.

Hmm it would be great if someone made some Egg Nog with Stevia!

You can get pretty good deals on it on ebay. I guess you could use it to make your own eggnog :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby fbjon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:31 pm

organic io wrote:Err on the side of caution... There is so much heart disease and cancer about, you never know what could be causing it in so many people.
Don't go overboard though. The human body is quite tough, and can take and pass through a lot of stuff.

One last thing, there is a lady who used to work at my office. She had a baby. She brought the baby in to show everyone at the office when it was about 6 weeks old. She was feeding it PEPSI.

oO'

Carbonated and all? That has to be the most ridiculous diet I've ever heard. I can't believe it went down! I assume she used a feeding bottle?

Anyway, I want oil paints for christmas. Acrylics dry too fast for me.
_
Image Chotoro gallery
fbjon
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic