Topics not related to SDCompo.

Emulation [subthread]

Emulation [subthread]

Postby Directionless » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:38 pm

But I don't want our retro gaming discussion to throw anybody off.. Discussion about your music gear is still welcome!!!

True. Sorry about the transition. In answer to your query regarding game physics on emulator vs. the actual hardware - I guess you'd just have to compare them for yourself. I'm not saying your computer can't handle emulation. I'm saying regardless of whether you have the fastest bestest emulation rig in the world or not, the physics are off. Some games more than others. Especially where platformers are concerned.

Not to say emulation diminishes the experience. In a lot of ways it enhances it. People that hook up a retro console to a modern TV it looks like garbage. But where I'm using custom cables to double the resolution and on a CRT for optimal viewing, i'm getting the best of both worlds.

So with the proper setup, playing on the real console enhances the experience because there is a difference in gameplay between the emulation and the real thing. You'd have to be super-picky to notice the difference on a number of games. But I mention Super Mario World as one example because the difference is a fairly stark contrast, to me at least.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: Emulation [subthread]

Postby Directionless » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:38 pm

I shouldn't like to go on notice for gaming setup without revealing the true setup - My retro gaming - closet kiosk:

..and kiosk addendum:
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Off-topic