Topics not related to SDCompo.

What is great about message boards...

What is great about message boards...

Postby Directionless » Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 am

Remember when the internet was new and NOT everyone was on it? Those were great times.

In the current climate of meta-feeds and anon boards, a good old fashioned traditional message board takes you back to those simpler times when it was a limited engagement. As it is trending, its reminding me even more of BBS's prior to the internet.

Want a discussion? Wait a few days and maybe you'll get a reply! :) Yessiree, the excitement of anticipation... you just never know what's going to happen (or not happen) next on the message boards!
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: What is great about message boards...

Postby organic io » Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Directionless wrote:Remember when the internet was new and NOT everyone was on it? Those were great times.

In the current climate of meta-feeds and anon boards, a good old fashioned traditional message board takes you back to those simpler times when it was a limited engagement. As it is trending, its reminding me even more of BBS's prior to the internet.

Want a discussion? Wait a few days and maybe you'll get a reply! :) Yessiree, the excitement of anticipation... you just never know what's going to happen (or not happen) next on the message boards!

Heh yeah... Forums are going the way of BBS'es it seems. In SDCompo, the 1 liners killed the forum. While the 1-liners are OK, I wish they were archived or something, once they're gone, they're gone forever.

Pretty much any time there are "golden days", they won't last forever. Probably in 20 years we will hear people moaning about how Futurebook isn't as good as Facebook was in 2014.

I guess if people are dedicated enough they can form core communities that still continue despite the changing environment. Crazy enough, last time I checked there were still people on Kali in the Descent channel , the same 15 or 20 people who have hung out there for the last 16 years.

I had the idea to create a BBS which would be hosted via cell phone connections, you plug the line in/out of your phone into your PC's soundcard ... But I read that because of the data compression on cell phone connection signals, a regular analogue modem signal wouldn't work. So I would have to write some kind of specific protocol and it would probably be slower than 300baud or something. aaaaanyway it would be possible, and pointless :)
I even looked into doing it via HAM radio connections, but the problem there is no privacy, apparently if you try to use encryption over HAM, people get mad. So it would have to be a totally open/public BBS, with no passwords, no personal emails etc.

Anywayyyy, my ramble is over :) Hit me back on here in a few days, we'll keep the forum alive, you and me D-less :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Return to Off-topic