Topics not related to SDCompo.

forums goddammit (Adlib vs wavetable)

forums goddammit (Adlib vs wavetable)

Postby Directionless » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi OIO,

I attempt, yet again, to unearth the dead on this all hallows eve. Rise and be resurrected ye forums!

When I hear adlib now I fracking love it, that Yamaha OPL chip is the jam! Funny how at the time, we couldn't wait to get away from it. My first non SoundBlaster card was not the Gravis, although I always coveted them (I have one now -- bought it on ebay 15 years ago [anyone have an available ISA slot?]). My first upgrade from the SB pro was the Pro Audio Spectrum 16. I thought it had some wavetable but I just checked and it didn't. Autobiographically, one of the things that was significant about the PAS16 was that it came with a module player and a small collection of mods. So, when there was no internet (no mp3) and all my PC music was either fuzzy adlib or CD-ROM redbook, suddenly this soundcard was playing me (what I thought at the time) real clean, clear CD audio out of little files! It was the never look back moment. And I got on ftp and started tracking down mod files and getting into some dos trackers.

But I never had the Roland Sound Canvas. Even now, some of those Roland General Midi modules go for a pretty couple of 10,000 pennies on ebay. I'm reminded it was the MT-32 that was the initial de facto standard for Roland on the early PC.

Crazy that those old general midi modules are going for as much or more as the Yamaha I just got. I don't have any good demos for it yet. My gear is now sorely needing an ADAT so I can record multiple channels at the same time to separate tracks with my EMU 1212m PCI sound card. For now, I have a ghetto-tech solution going, but at least it is taking the input of the Korg DW-6000 and the Yamaha TX81Z at the same time to 2 different effected channels in Renoise with line-in. This is a shitty 2-track duet (two sequences playing both synths stacked but with their own effects channels): http://directionless.mynoisebleeds.com/host/2synth2test2.mp3

Comment by organic_io on 2014-10-31 16:16:02
So yeah, it is funny. Because in this case I am saying old old (Adlib) is better than old new (Wavetable MIDI).

Comment by organic_io on 2014-10-31 16:15:04
Well, and there is a huge difference between Ad-lib MIDI and Wavetable MIDI. Adlib actually being more preferable to my ears due to its gritty synthesized sound. I don't think many of us had a Wavetable card back in the early-mid 90's, though I knew a few people who bragged about their Gravis Ultrasound... In retrospect I'm glad I didn't save up because I don't think I was missing much :)

Comment by directionless on 2014-10-31 15:29:26
I know, and in other times, I could agree with you. It's just funny how things change and old becomes new and all that. General midi used to be all we had for PC (notwithstanding C64/Amiga/Modules). If you had a Roland Sound Canvas rocking your King's Quest soundtrack, you were golden. Now we have so much samples and soft synth..

Comment by organic_io on 2014-10-31 14:46:01
Just a matter of preference I guess D-Less. :)

Comment by directionless on 2014-10-31 14:40:54
Scott says general midi like its a bad thing! :P haha..

Comment by organic_io on 2014-10-31 14:20:45
...too "general MIDI" sounding..
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Return to Off-topic