Topics not related to SDCompo.

Thrift Store - 90's Alt Rock Explosion

Thrift Store - 90's Alt Rock Explosion

Postby Directionless » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:38 pm

So, I went to my favorite place, and they had a 90's music explosion in the CD section.
Someone had donated their entire collection of 90's alternative rock from
the looks of it. Ended up with 20 CDs for a buck a piece! (complete with
case and sleeve in perfect condition).

Here's the breakdown:

Counting Crows (I actually seen them in concert in the 90's)

Good classic 90's alt rock mellow band. My younger brother's favorite band.

The last great Duran Duran Album IMO. Features "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone"

Good band.

No Doubt's first successful album. Features "Just a Girl" and "Don't Speak"

I listened to this on the drive home. I used to have. This is classic 90's
alt rock goodness. It rocks!

Same as above. Stone Temple Pilots were good when they were new.

Smashing Pumkins first big hit album. Features "Disarm" and "Today". It rocks.

If you are gonna have a Foo Fighters album, its this one. Features
"Everlong" and "My Hero"

Some consider the quintessential 90's grunge/alt rock album

Its REM when they first went grunge

Used to be a good mellow alt rock CD

Toad The Wet Sproket (one of my Fav bands) incredible album

Took a chance on this. I know "Goo Goo Dolls" by name only

Remember hearing a lot about them back in the day. Released 1990 but sounds like 80's New Wave/Industrial.

Actually 80's but Violent Femmes is classic alternative rock. Features
"Blister in the Sun"

Nothing compares 2 U

Good songs

Great mellow album

Just finished listening to this. Classic 80's Funk/R&B/Synthpop fusion.

The last few aren't rock (Sinead/Chris Isaak/Sting), but are of that 90's
era. Except the Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love, that's 1982. I picked it up
because it is supposed to be amazing. And it is.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Re: Thrift Store - 90's Alt Rock Explosion

Postby organic io » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Directionless wrote:Here's the breakdown:

Counting Crows (I actually seen them in concert in the 90's)

CLASSIC!!!!!! 1993 WAS A GOOD YEAR!!! YOU SAW THEM IN CONCERT? I BET THAT WAS AWESOME

Directionless wrote:Image
I listened to this on the drive home. I used to have. This is classic 90's
alt rock goodness. It rocks!

ROCK ON!!

Some consider the quintessential 90's grunge/alt rock album

PRETTY GOOD STUFF, YOU KNOW THAT BABY IS LIKE 24 NOW AND THEY RE-DID THE COVER, GOOD THING THEY DECIDED TO NOT SHOW EVERYTHING
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042033/Baby-cover-Nirvanas-Nevermind-album-turns-20.html

Used to be a good mellow alt rock CD

MY COUSIN GAVE ME THIS ONE TIME, IT WAS OK. "ONE HEADLIGHT" I THINK WAS ONE OF THE SONGS

Toad The Wet Sproket (one of my Fav bands) incredible album

YES TOAD THE WET SPROCKET RULESS!!!!! IS THAT THE ONE WITH "ALL I WANT?"

YOU GOT A GOOD COLLECTION. SORRY I AM YELLING. I DON'T KNOW WHY :)

BUT I THINK YOU ARE MISSING SOME QUINTISSENTIAL 90'S CLASSICS:

PEARL JAM - TEN
CRASH TEST DUMMIES - GOD SHUFFLED HIS FEET
ALANIS MORRISETTE - JAGGED LITTLE PILL
ALICE IN CHAINS - DIRT

IF YOU GET THOSE ONES, YOUR collectionLIFE WILL BE COMPLETE

THAT IS ALL

:)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:57 pm

OH ALSO

BONUS IF YOU ADD DAVE MATTHEWS BAND AND TORI AMOS TO YOUR COLLECTION.
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:05 pm

PS... I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING SOME "QUINTISSENTIAL STUFF" SO I WENT THRU A LIST OF THE 100 MOST QUINTISSENTIALIST ALBUMS FROM THE 90'S

YOU MAY OR MANY NOT NEED TO ADD SOME BECK, NINE INCH NAILS, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, U2, BJORK, MOBY, RADIOHEAD,

OK WHAT THE HELL I READ A REALLY WEIRD ARTICLE THAT OUT OF 100 ALBUMS HAS THEIR TOP 2 ALBUMS OF THE 90'S BOTH BJORK ALBUMS NEVERMIND JUST WHATEVER, KEEP CONTINUIING ON IN YOUR SEARCH FOR 90'S GREATNESS :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Directionless » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Haha well it was just what was there.. which is usually crap. So when I saw all this, I knew there was some 90's fan that went all cloud-only on his collection or something.

I used to listen to Alice In Chains. I believe I had the Dirt album. I have had many of these albums before. My teenage years collection is god knows where. Having about one million younger siblings, when I came back to the house after 2 years of being elsewhere, my entire everything was ransacked. I built it back up, but an EX has that collection and I decided not to press the issue since she is the mother of my child. It just seemed kind of petty. But it is disappointing. That collection also had a ton of synth stuff - Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre albums. It probably wasn't too complete in Alt Rock though. I didn't revist the 90's too much in that department, but with time, a lot of this stuff is sounding real fresh. I'm loving the Stone Temple Pilots. Its a nice change up after listening to 99% electronic music for years (Morrissey not included).

/end that tangent

As far as your other recommendations go..

Love me some Radiohead. I was a fan since Pablo Honey. Also was able to make the transition to Kid A with no troubles.

Pearl Jam Ten I would have been happy to see at the thrift store. Killer album, used to have and listen to a ton.

Crash Test Dummies, never got too into them other than the song with all the humming for the chorus.

Never been into Alanis. Tried Tori. Not too much on that either.

You're right that Wallflowers album is kind of ho hum but when you're on a roll of grabbing all those 90's dollar CDs, you start to become less discriminate. ;P

Love old U2 (not new). Used to listen to Rage. Love NIN esp Pretty Hate Machine is brilliant. Had that Beck album with I'm a loser -- cliche 90's song right there. :) I like and respect Bjork a lot. Have never fully digested her works, but I should persist. I had Moby Play. He's pretty cool. I think the lines are kinda blurred on him for me though. He's not too legit in the synth department right? Does a lot of sampling and makes his trademark Moby 'hook'? Maybe there are some Moby albums I am not listening to.

Lastly, that Toad the Wet Sprocket song you are referring to is from their first album - Fear (yellow cover). Excellent album. This one I just picked up is Dulcinea. Another great one I used to have. I'll rip it for you if you want. Toad the Wet Sprocket is in my top 25 bands list.
Last edited by Directionless on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:33 pm

p.s. no bonus for me on liking DAVE MATTHEWS BAND (copy/paste your yelling!).

I stopped by that Thrift Store again today to see if they were still processing some of that intake.

There were a couple additional ones, plus an awesome novelty CD for the lulz:

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X (Had that one-hit-90s-wonder song "6 Undergound"
Mono - Formica Blues

and the novelty album... wait for it...

Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True. In perfect condition. Even though they were imposters and it is a silly album, those jams are oddly enjoyable. Must be the nostalgia of the late 80's pop.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby chunter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Nice finds. It makes me a bit sad to see CDs have poor resale value, but such is life.

Girl You Know It's True was deleted, it may have a certain degree of collectibility, furthermore, they were not doing anything that hadn't been done before had they been more honest about it, and perhaps if they hadn't won a Grammy.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby Directionless » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:35 pm

chunter wrote:Nice finds. It makes me a bit sad to see CDs have poor resale value, but such is life.

Yeah, its kind of crazy how things have changed. I have a pretty huge DVD library and those also used to be like collateral. If I needed a few extra spending bucks, I could trim the fat on my least interesting titles and make a quick buck or get store credit to buy new ones. I suppose you can still do this to some extent with the Blu-rays. But even then, I doubt it is the same. The internet has really changed the value of physical commodities on these items.

chunter wrote:Girl You Know It's True was deleted, it may have a certain degree of collectibility, furthermore, they were not doing anything that hadn't been done before had they been more honest about it, and perhaps if they hadn't won a Grammy.

But you bring up a good point about deleted albums having a possible higher collectible value. It does make you wonder, when all physical copies are only 2nd hand, will they eventually appreciate. I know they definitely get less and less likely to find as time goes on, if they are out of print. Something I wished I had realized when parting with my 16-bit video games thinking they would always be easily available later, or rather, not knowing they wouldn't be.
Directionless
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 am

Directionless wrote:Milli Vanilli

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:05 am

OMG I just thought of one that absolutely has to be mentioned:

Live - Throwing Copper.

I used to listen to this ALL the time. So many good songs.

Then I also feel like I should mention Metallica and Orbital but they're not exactly alternative. I liked Bjork a lot too, I just didn't think she deserved the top 2 spots on a top 100 list. Really any artist shouldn't have the top 2 spots unless you want the list to look like an amateur fanlist, which this was not supposed to be.

Also I know it's cheesy, but where does Bon Jovi play into all this??? :) I guess the 90's weren't their best decade anyway..

Aaanyway
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Although I like the "seen a million faces, and rocked them all" line, and Living On a Prayer is nice in its own way, I never liked Bon Jovi that much. Source: guy who grew up in New Jersey. I made a point to not collect things I could borrow from my friends, so though there were a few exceptions, I didn't collect metal.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby organic io » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:13 pm

chunter wrote:Although I like the "seen a million faces, and rocked them all" line, and Living On a Prayer is nice in its own way, I never liked Bon Jovi that much. Source: guy who grew up in New Jersey. I made a point to not collect things I could borrow from my friends, so though there were a few exceptions, I didn't collect metal.

That's pretty smart...

These days if you had 3 friends, you could each get a different console (PS4, Xbox one, Wii U) and rotate them every few weeks :-D

Nahh maybe not.. Now that I remember, one Christmas when I had just gotten Chrono Trigger, I got to play it for maybe 3 or 4 days. And then I let my friend borrow my SNES, and he borrowed it for wayyy too long. (Like 3 weeks!), and what did I get in return? F-ing Sonic the hedgehog. Not quite as cool (at the time). And this was during the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... rd_of_1996 , so we had plenty of time to stay at home and me not play Chrono Trigger. Hey, at least there was Hexen :)
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby chunter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Indeed, we swapped video games too. Not always for other video games.
chunter
Insomniac
Insomniac

Postby stefano2015 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:27 am

Nice forum, greets to everybody:)
stefano2015
Newb
Newb

Postby dialt1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:59 am

this topic is great :D I will put my suggestions later!
dialt1
Newb
Newb

Next

Return to Off-topic