Get general help regarding SDCompo here. Post questions, help out new users, etc.

Rule Clarification?

Rule Clarification?

Postby Taiyal » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:12 am

I am quite poor, and as such, my tracking computer is a 290 MHz Acer Aspire from around '98. Now, with ModPlug's low system requirements, I generally don't run into many problems in tracking. However, it appears that round 29 is VST-based, which would be more than my computer could handle. Also, the sample pack doesnt seem to have any melodic samples, or melodic pieces in the loops that I could isolate.

However, I don't plan on giving up just yet. But I'm not sure if my unorthodox plans for making melody with the samples would be within the SDCompo rules.

They are as follows:

1. Cut out a 91-sample piece of a sample, loop it, and set the frequency to 48 KHz (that's my recipe for making a C.)

2. Record myself singing one note. Then I can cut off the glottal plosive at the beginning of the recording and be left with some sort of relatively uniform waveshape which I can then apply ADSR/filter to.

3. Render a C from a VSTi plugin to WAV (hopefully my computer could do that), by making an IT file with one sole VSTi C-4 note, and then use that sample as I would normally use a melodic sample.

4. Overdrive (through ModPlug's amplification in the sample editor) a percussion hit to the point where I'm left with a tonal (albeit harsh) sample that I can then reduce the volume of, or filter it a bit.

If any of these are against the rules, please let me know so that I do not make something that will be disqualified from Round 29. Hopefully at least one is within the rules, or else I will have to try and write an entirely percussion-based song...

Any help would be appreciated.
--Kitsune Taiyal
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Postby organic io » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi Taiyal! Welcome to the compo!

Many of these techniques would be just fine:

1) Yes - Chipping is fine

2) No - I would avoid this technique, as vocals are supposed to sound like vocals (per Sonicade)

3) Yes - Rendering vsti's to samples is absolutely alright. This may be your best option here. If it turns out your compy can't handle it, let me know which patches you want and I'll render you out a little samplepack.

4) Yes - Absolutely. Anything you can do with your tracker's internal plugins to a sample on the samplepack is allowed. If you are able to take a kick drum and somehow process it to make it sound like a violin, then awesome. It shows your skill :) Actually a while back, Chotoro did some filters on an instrument that sounded eerily like voices, it was really cool.

:D
organic io
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Postby Sonicade » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Great response IO, that's all accurate. The only technique that would conflict with the rules is the 2nd one. Like IO mentioned, the vocals are meant to be used as vocals only.

Welcome to the compo Taiyal!
Sonicade
Compo Admin
Compo Admin

Thank You

Postby Taiyal » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 am

Thank you for the help, and for the warm welcome.

--Kitsune Taiyal
Taiyal
Newb
Newb

Return to Help